BMW HP4 Competition

RubberSideDown

Congrats!! Looks awesome.

Semi-active suspension sounds sick. One day all bikes will have it.

BMW is going the right direction with this - it's not so much about getting the most power out of the engine as it is about making it accessible to normal people who don't race the track and who don't spend hours with setup (and know what they're doing to boot).

PS: Does not beat the Panigale on looks but that's only because the Panigale is the best looking sports bike ever tongue.png thanks to all the electronics it should be easier to ride though. Would love to have one.

Edited by nikster

^

Yup, that's pretty much it- a real track rider would prefer to set up his own suspension, but I'm content to let it be handled electronically- I also like the fact it instantly adapts to changing road conditions, which is nice on the street.

Something like the Panigale is a track weapon, but nearly every review and comparison I've read says it gives up quite a bit to the HP4 on the street- it was an easy choice for me- for other people, they could only go for Ducati.

They're both above my head in any case, but I think I'll be better on the BMW.;)

I love this bike- for someone like me (an OK but nothing-special rider- I can get around a corner but wouldn't worry Rossi or Hayden very much;)) who can benefit from all the electronic wizardry (especially the semi-active suspension), it's a great choice. I was planning on ordering one and taking delivery in April or May, but the allotment for BMW Thailand is done and production of the HP4 is going to be stopped (probably a lot of the tech will filter down to the S1000RR)- I found one remaining in stock, and I put a deposit on it today, and I'll take delivery at the end of January (though I won't be able to ride much as I'm making a big house move, which is why I didn't want it yet...)

Pretty, ain't it? It's not a Panigale R, perhaps, but I'm an inline-4 guy.:)

bmw-motorrad-hp4-11-640x426.jpg

A beautiful bike, Supersports are the love of my life it's a shame I never ride them to anywhere near there potential, these days I prefer something automatic, never had the skill to ride this type of bike fast, I prefer a more sedate speed but love them just the same, awesome bike!!

great choice.

i prefer s1000rr to a ducati panigale anytime too. i like inline fours as well and less quirky machines!

it is also very popular in Thailand - and around the globe - and i see many on the streets and on tracks.

Especially hp4 is the greatest and you will sure get all the benefits of the electronic aids.

And it looks cool imo! I like asymmetrical looks and fairings of it, it looks special for sure, hard to mistaken it with another bike.

Love to own one, envy you man!

Now, ready to join the track days?smile.png

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

I might do a friendly track day or two- I haven't done one for years- I'll have to see how 2014 goes.wink.png

I am planning to go to Thailand Circuit at Nakhon Chaisri maybe 30 km to my house once a month after new year.

They say, it is a good track and no walls or danger much there.

One full day is 800 thb but one hour for bikes and an hour for cars during weekends. Not a big problem though.

http://www.gdecarli.it/php/circuit.php?var1=754&var2=2

https://www.facebook.com/ThailandCircuit.MotorsportsComplex

Edited by ll2

^

Yup, that's pretty much it- a real track rider would prefer to set up his own suspension, but I'm content to let it be handled electronically- I also like the fact it instantly adapts to changing road conditions, which is nice on the street.

Something like the Panigale is a track weapon, but nearly every review and comparison I've read says it gives up quite a bit to the HP4 on the street- it was an easy choice for me- for other people, they could only go for Ducati.

They're both above my head in any case, but I think I'll be better on the BMW.wink.png

Very nice, can I ask if they had a model for you to look at? There were none at the Motor Show and I'm supposed to be viewing the standard model on Saturday but K.Sakhon at Barcelona Viphavadi called today and said he doesn't have a model for me to look at unless a customers bike happens to be in for service.

Do you know anywhere in Bangkok they've got a model in stock where you can at least sit on it and see how it feels?

They had one at Barcelona Viphavadi when I was there (a Competition) but I believe it was a customer's bike, and that was over three weeks ago so if they told you they don't have one at the moment, it must be gone. They had no S1000RRs either- apparently they're not getting new stock until January, which is why they weren't at the show- they didn't have enough bikes to display.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I'm getting older and years of abuse from the gym and Muay Thai are taking their toll- I figure I've got 2-3 years (hopefully) where I can still pull a few hours on a modern torture-rack of a literbike before my back/shoulder/knee forces me onto something with a less radical position.

But, yes, I'm a lucky bastard.:)

Let's get this right. You are just not a lucky bastard, you are an utter bastard. Paint me jealous :D

In regards to S1000RR's. Did a training day at CR Circuit just recently and had my mates ex-BMW France Production Racer as the loaner bike. Now I know what all the talk is about. What an eye opener. Most powerful road/race bike that I've ever ridden, super smooth mapping, nimble like a 600 and fantastic brakes. I want one.! BMW France Dynoed 190+ at the rear. Has production suspension, but feels very nice, excellent feel. There were guys coming over and saying that the bike has a lot of power (Yeah no kidding.! ) after seeing me give it the berries with power wheelies in first and a partial second before hitting the anchors on the short straight. Super stable under braking, massive brakes and good feel as well. I was suffering the first couple of days after, as I hadn't ridden in nearly 4.5 months and only rode probably 250 kms in the last eight months. Enjoying the pain mind you :D

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

They had one at Barcelona Viphavadi when I was there (a Competition) but I believe it was a customer's bike, and that was over three weeks ago so if they told you they don't have one at the moment, it must be gone. They had no S1000RRs either- apparently they're not getting new stock until January, which is why they weren't at the show- they didn't have enough bikes to display.

Thanks - I've been told February for the standard 2014 colours (black or white/grey/black) or "later than February" for special colours (red/white/black or motorrad colors).

I quite fancy the black anyway and being that it's 30k cheaper and quicker to arrive I'm thinking I'll go for that. I was all set for the Monster 796 but had a very scary moment on the gsxr 2 weeks ago between Chiang Mai and Tak where I nearly lost the rear end changing lanes and accelerating hard to overtake a car in 4th gear at 140kph (in the wet) so I've scared myself into forking out the extra for a bike with traction control. Absolutely scared the $hit out of me, I reckon there was oil or diesel under the water but I'll never know. In any case I was very lucky to save it and now the extra cash seems much less painful.

Thanks - I've been told February for the standard 2014 colours (black or white/grey/black) or "later than February" for special colours (red/white/black or motorrad colors).

I quite fancy the black anyway and being that it's 30k cheaper and quicker to arrive I'm thinking I'll go for that. I was all set for the Monster 796 but had a very scary moment on the gsxr 2 weeks ago between Chiang Mai and Tak where I nearly lost the rear end changing lanes and accelerating hard to overtake a car in 4th gear at 140kph (in the wet) so I've scared myself into forking out the extra for a bike with traction control. Absolutely scared the $hit out of me, I reckon there was oil or diesel under the water but I'll never know. In any case I was very lucky to save it and now the extra cash seems much less painful.

red/white/black is the best color imo for s1000rr, looks great and worth extra waiting. Blue is never a fast color and it makes me sleepy - but have to admit, it looks complicated and high tech with BMW blue color.

but, all i know, hp4 has only one color, blue/white/black, no?

man, what a great bike!

In regards to S1000RR's. Did a training day at CR Circuit just recently and had my mates ex-BMW France Production Racer as the loaner bike. Now I know what all the talk is about. What an eye opener. Most powerful road/race bike that I've ever ridden, super smooth mapping, nimble like a 600 and fantastic brakes. I want one.! BMW France Dynoed 190+ at the rear. Has production suspension, but feels very nice, excellent feel. There were guys coming over and saying that the bike has a lot of power (Yeah no kidding.! ) after seeing me give it the berries with power wheelies in first and a partial second before hitting the anchors on the short straight. Super stable under braking, massive brakes and good feel as well. I was suffering the first couple of days after, as I hadn't ridden in nearly 4.5 months and only rode probably 250 kms in the last eight months. Enjoying the pain mind you :DSent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

I know the bike- it's set up really well:

11276d1358230836-ex-2012-bmw-motorrad-fr

In regards to S1000RR's. Did a training day at CR Circuit just recently and had my mates ex-BMW France Production Racer as the loaner bike. Now I know what all the talk is about. What an eye opener. Most powerful road/race bike that I've ever ridden, super smooth mapping, nimble like a 600 and fantastic brakes. I want one.! BMW France Dynoed 190+ at the rear. Has production suspension, but feels very nice, excellent feel. There were guys coming over and saying that the bike has a lot of power (Yeah no kidding.! ) after seeing me give it the berries with power wheelies in first and a partial second before hitting the anchors on the short straight. Super stable under braking, massive brakes and good feel as well. I was suffering the first couple of days after, as I hadn't ridden in nearly 4.5 months and only rode probably 250 kms in the last eight months. Enjoying the pain mind you :DSent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

I know the bike- it's set up really well:

11276d1358230836-ex-2012-bmw-motorrad-fr

That's not it, as I think that's Colin Butler's beasty. I was talking to Colin the other day and he says that the one my mate bought may be the Track Day bike they built especially for customers. I'm checking the serial number on the cylinder head when I get back :)

Congratulations!

Most probably the best race bike for everyday use ever made. Much easier to handle than the Panigale.

I'm sure the street HP4 is just as nimble, but the race version is like riding a 600, very flickable plus gobs of hp & tq

Congratulations!

Most probably the best race bike for everyday use ever made. Much easier to handle than the Panigale.

I looked at the Panigale, but Ducati is really joking with their Thai prices- using the US for comparison, the HP4 and the Panigale S are the same price in the States, but the Duc is 400K more in LOS- the base Panigale is the same price as the HP4 in LOS, but it's $6,000 less in the States, and the BMW is a much better bike performance-wise.

In terms of performance according to every comparison I've watched or read, only the Panigale R is really in the same ballpark, and it's 800K more in LOS ($5,000 more in the US).

I just couldn't justify the cost to go Red- yes, Ducati makes some gorgeous bikes, but they're taking advantage of people that live in Thailand and are charging beyond what import taxes indicate they should as far as their superbikes go.

• Like 2