Just Moved And Our Lab Is Hating The Heat

We just moved to Thailand last week and the "Poompuy" our black lab is not enjoying the heat.

We thought about getting him shaved but one place we took him said they don't do labs becuase he will be ugly. Any ideas?

We just moved to Thailand last week and the "Poompuy" our black lab is not enjoying the heat.

We thought about getting him shaved but one place we took him said they don't do labs becuase he will be ugly. Any ideas?

There has been a thread here on shaving dogs, and the genreral opion of the experts is that it should not be done. I seem to remember I did some internet searches and found a few articles - all of which said you shouldn't shave as it interferes with the natural protection of the dog.

I have a golden retriever which has a similar coat to a lab. My golden was bred out here, but the breeder said that if I feel hot then my dog will feel hot. Fair enough.

My golden stays outside on a very large, covered terrace for most of the time. I have a ceiling fan and a small floor fan which I leave on all the time to help keep her cool. Most days, when I am home, I let her into my air conditioned office to sit with me during the hottest party of the day. (I can't leave her alone in the house because she eats everything in sight.)

The evenings and mornings are quite cool and she seems fine at these times and runs around and enjoys herself.

I do have quite a large area for her to wander in, and she often finds cool spots under the bushes and in shaded grass, but when she is outside and it's hot, she stays next to the fans.

I also take her swimming in the nearby lake, which she loves, and cools her right down. (The wife won't let her in the pool. :o )

I don't know your circumstances, but hope the above helps a bit, and gives you some ideas.

Labs just looove water. I'd dig a hole and put in a plastic tub filled with water.

What a great idea. I'm going to work on that. :o

BTW they also love the rain. She drinks it, plays in it, and generally gets herself drenched. In this climate its an ideal cooler.

I had a very thick haired dog (local dog) who was miserable in the heat. I did not shave her but did clip her hair back so as to allow a little more air circulation. She loved it and never had any problems but we did not shave her down to the skin.

I know some sites say that long haired dogs are designed to deal with heat but we are talking about a dog (lab) that was bred for a northern temperate climate, not for the tropics.

You should be aware that prolonged stress (from heat or anything else) will be very bad for your dog and could shorten its life.

We keep the plastic tub filled with water. If the tub sits in the sun too long we have to refill it because he doesn't like the water warm. That's the biggest tub we could find.post-17093-1147655739_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info guys! I will have to work on that outdoor tub idea.

What about the ocean? Some people have told me that the salt water is bad for a dog and some say no problem, what is your idea on that?

What about the ocean? Some people have told me that the salt water is bad for a dog and some say no problem, what is your idea on that?

My breeder, who is also a vet and shows goldens and labs, recommended the sea for excersise. I don't go there at the moment because there are too many packs of wild dogs who would attack my golden who is only 8 months. When she is fully grown, it may be Ok. I've gotr a huge reservoir nearby so it no problem.

I think when I do let her in the sea, I'll give her a hose down in fresh water when we get home.

We keep the plastic tub filled with water. If the tub sits in the sun too long we have to refill it because he doesn't like the water warm. That's the biggest tub we could find.post-17093-1147655739_thumb.jpg

lol, poor puppy , that's a tub for birds! :o

My little boy likes to sit in his "pool" when it's getting too hot.

But he likes to stay in an airconditioned room sometimes.

inderwanne.jpg

I saw a pick you posted of his pool, I am looking for one like that now as my pooch is topping the scales at 100 pounds he needs something a little bigger than a bird bath!

Well, my 10 year old dog has been going into the sea his entire life and it hasn't done him any harm. In fact, my 4 year old dog spends a great deal of her time in the sea (she likes to go fishing when the water is shallow and will be out there for hours) and she is our healthiest dog, never has any skin problems or other health issues at all. I would rinse your dog off, however, as the sea water can be sticky and seems to attract mozzies.

Labs retrievers, like Goldens, have an undercoat. Similar to Goldens, I would expect that Labs would be shedding at this time of the year. Those of us that have Goldens know what I am referring to as there is hair all over the place. If you haven't already done so and if Poompuy is shedding, go to your local pet shop and buy an undercoat rake and rake out this coat of hair. Getting rid of this undercoat will make Poompuy much more comfortable in the hot weather. Don't shave the dog as it opens them up to multiple mosquito bites at night.

During the day, my Golden stays out in our yard. She would much prefer to be here where there are shady trees than on a covered balcony (and she has told us so). The bottom line is that these dogs simply adapt.

Labs retrievers, like Goldens, have an undercoat. Similar to Goldens, I would expect that Labs would be shedding at this time of the year. Those of us that have Goldens know what I am referring to as there is hair all over the place. If you haven't already done so and if Poompuy is shedding, go to your local pet shop and buy an undercoat rake and rake out this coat of hair. Getting rid of this undercoat will make Poompuy much more comfortable in the hot weather. Don't shave the dog as it opens them up to multiple mosquito bites at night.

During the day, my Golden stays out in our yard. She would much prefer to be here where there are shady trees than on a covered balcony (and she has told us so). The bottom line is that these dogs simply adapt.

Every morning, after breakfast on the terrace, I get the brush & rake out off the self and Cookie (my golden) immediately runs over and sits patiently waiting to be brushed. She absolutely adores it. After I have brushed her back, she lies down wit her paws in the air, and lets me rake her underside. I find that by doing this daily, she sheds very little hair around.

Right now she is lying in the air conditioned comfort of my office (the only room she is allowed in), and later I'll turf her out and she'll go and find a cool spot, next to her fan or under the trees and bushes.

I'm definitely planning on getting her a paddling pool - sounds ideal. :o

Lonesome for a GR again, never found a better dog. Hopefully some day soon will have the location conducive to owning one.

As mentioned above, give them access to water, natures radiator.

Edited by dvk1951

Every morning, after breakfast on the terrace, I get the brush & rake out off the self and Cookie (my golden) immediately runs over and sits patiently waiting to be brushed. She absolutely adores it. After I have brushed her back, she lies down wit her paws in the air, and lets me rake her underside. I find that by doing this daily, she sheds very little hair around.

Right now she is lying in the air conditioned comfort of my office (the only room she is allowed in), and later I'll turf her out and she'll go and find a cool spot, next to her fan or under the trees and bushes.

I'm definitely planning on getting her a paddling pool - sounds ideal. :D

Wow that's a lucky dog :o

I have a full hairy back, any chance to receive the same treatment?

Edited by KhunMarco

I will have to hunt down the undercoat rake. I have one now that may be what you are refering to but i'll make sure. I need to get him in to see a vet here anyway for heart worm and vaccine updates anyway.

Poompuy is already adapting pretty well but he still has a lot of hair to shed as we just came from Alaska where it was still freezing at night there.

Our Golden Retriever, Cookie, gets brushed nearly every day by the wife. He also gets matted hair under his ears. She carefully trims the matted parts out.

Her family has a farm pond about 4 kilometers away from our house. When he was younger he wouldn't go with her when she went on the motorcycle. She likes him to get a lot of exercise. Other dogs used to attack him along the way. He was really a big wimp until he turned a year old. One day it dawned on him that he was a lot bigger than the dogs who were beating him up. He is a wimp NO longer. Now he is happy to run along side of the motorcycle and dares the other dogs to come near him. He is very good natured and gets along with other dogs if they don't show any aggression. His favorite activity is to go swimming with kids. He is a strong swimmer and the wife's nephew rides him around the pond. It's funny to watch. If the boy goes under the water the dog dives under too. I'm afraid I have lost my dog. When the wife goes anywhere he goes too. :o

I have been looking around quite a bit in Pattaya but so far no luck finding the elusive under coat rake. Anybody know where to pick one up at?

We live in Texas where it really gets hot too. Our lab stays in our Air Conditioned house except for walks to take care of business. We only allow him to hang out in the kitchen and the front entry way where there is ceramic tile. One exception is the TV/Computer room where he has a comforter that he must stay on since we don't want him laying on the carpet. My daughter took him to the lake once where he demonstrated his natural diving ability from a boulder into the lake and swimming back to the bank -over and over again. :o

I have been looking around quite a bit in Pattaya but so far no luck finding the elusive under coat rake. Anybody know where to pick one up at?

Most probably they have them, but the sales people just don't know. The package doesn't say undercoat rake and it looks similar to a regular brush although the brush part is in two slightly different lengths. In any event, it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you comb out the loose hair. Combing out this loose hair and giving your dog access to shade and water is all he will need to get by Thailand's hot season.

Most probably they have them, but the sales people just don't know. The package doesn't say undercoat rake and it looks similar to a regular brush although the brush part is in two slightly different lengths. In any event, it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you comb out the loose hair. Combing out this loose hair and giving your dog access to shade and water is all he will need to get by Thailand's hot season.

They're in most pet shops - usually hanging on the racks with the other bits a pieces. The ones I'vge found are a sort of brush format, with thin, flexible wiry bristles on a sort of pin cushion. Not too disimilar tp what a lady might use to get the tangles out of her hair. It seems to work fine for my golden. I give her a five minute brush every morning and it takes out all the loose hair without hurting her. She loves it - as soon as she sees the brush she come running over. I also bought a metal comb, but that doesn't seem to work, but is very good at getting the fur out of the brush :o

I bought a large oval wash tub. Trouble is, even though she loves swimming in the lake, she is scared of the tub. I have to lift her in it - all 25 kilos - and stay with her, otherwise she jumps out. Maybe she will get used to it, after a while.

Regarding the undercoat rake...I may have one after all! After the first mention of it in this tread I goggled it and it brought up a picture of a brush with a single row of pins. The one I have looks more like the one Mobi D'Ark described. Either way he still is shedding like crazy, but with the Alaska fur coat he brought with him it might be a while.

I just about about a swimming "tub" for him the other day, found a good one at a industrial hardware store, a big plastic tub used to mix concrete, it was the ideal size anyway, not sure about the price as I was in a hurry that day.

• 1 month later...