100 Million Baht’s worth of beauty products seized and 22 Russians detained in DSI raid

Rimmer

Pattaya Health & Beauty Center raided by DSI and other agencies

russia-42.jpg

PATTAYA:--The Department of Special Investigations (DSI) led a raid on a Health & Beauty Center in Jomtien on Monday afternoon in search of unlicensed imported products,illegal foreign workers and any other illegalities they could find.

Other agencies involved in the raid were: The Department of Labor, Customs & Excise, The Provincial Health Department, Consumer Protection Department of Chonburi and Pattaya’s Tourist Police.

On the strength of search warrant number 722/2556 dated 23rd December and issued by the Pattaya Provincial Court, a team of over 50 officers raided the Vitamax Shopping Center in Soi Watboon in Jomtien and seized more than 100 Million Baht’s worth of health and beauty products deemed to have been imported illegally and without the appropriate licenses from the Food and Drug Administration of Thailand.

Two Managers at the Center, Khun Yosawat aged 56 and Khun Patanan aged 30 were arrested and 22 Russian Tour Guides along with 4 Cambodians who did not possess work permits were also detained.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/112978/pattaya-health-beauty-center-raided-by-dsi-and-other-agencies/#sthash.VxNZcq1T.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-12-24

• Like 2

As the THB/RUB exchange rate is essentially 1/1, the headline should have read "100 Million Rubles....."

Looks like the Ruskies weren't paying sufficient tea money. coffee1.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

As the THB/RUB exchange rate is essentially 1/1, the headline should have read "100 Million Rubles....."

Looks like the Ruskies weren't paying sufficient tea money. coffee1.gif

Try to read the OP again!!whistling.gif

No connection whatsoever between the beauty-bust and the Russians.

In your defence, another piece of crap-journalism!bah.gif

I wonder if its like the old Yacht import scheme that use to run when import duty was 210%, they seize the goods, then sell them at auction and this makes them legal in the country, this use to be a cheaper way of bringing yachts in than paying the full wack of duty and excise.

• Like 1

Two Managers at the Center, Khun Yosawat aged 56 and Khun Patanan aged 30 were arrested and 22 Russian Tour Guides along with 4 Cambodians who did not possess work permits were also detained.

Is it still the same bs that Russians are the only ones who can fly in directly via Utapao? Gotta laugh my arse of that they're all "tour guides". How many of these "tour guides" work only in Pattaya?

Don't they sell guns and drugs there? And the Russian prostitutes without passports and visas swam through the red sea to Thailand, I'm sure.

They might have access to Santa's reindeer fleet. Nastrovie.--coffee1.gif

Maybe I am stupid ?

I just wonder ????

How did they get all this inside the country ???????

I really don't know !

U-Tapao airport, flights straight from Moscow, Seems that they've got their own Russian Immigration.-facepalm.gif .

http://flights.expedia.com/flights-from-moscow-to-utapao-dme-to-utp/

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I wonder if its like the old Yacht import scheme that use to run when import duty was 210%, they seize the goods, then sell them at auction and this makes them legal in the country, this use to be a cheaper way of bringing yachts in than paying the full wack of duty and excise.

Fancy that I was flying back from Brunie a couple of years ago and got talking with a well to do lawyer from there and he was sourcing exotic cars for a groups of Thai people who were up to something very similar.

Department Store Issued With Writ

PATTAYA:--DSI – Chonburi public health office – Department of Employment, Chonburi province presented a writ to a big department store that smuggled imported goods and products and sold them to foreign tourists without the permission from Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

PATTAYA – December 23, 2013 [PDN]; at 1.00 p.m. Mr. Phermphoon Phuengprasit [Deputy Director-General of Department of Special Investigation (DSI)], Pol. Lt. Col. Banthoon Chimkra (the Head of Joint Operations Center for the prevention and suppression of the influence as a threat to tourism in area of Pattaya and Chonburi province), Mr. Prawit Chaibuadaeng (the Director of DSI operation center, section 2), Mr. Cherdsak Wisutthikul (the Director of Division of Inspection and Protection of Workers, Department of Employment, Chonburi province) and Mrs. Ratikorn Prasertthaicharoen (the expert phamacist of consumer protection group, public health office of Chonburi province) together with the forces of officers brought a search warrant from Pattaya provincial court 722/2556 dated December 23, 2013 to search Vitamax Co., Ltd., address 181 Soi Boonkanjanaram 2 Moo 11 Tambon Nong Prue, Amphur Banglamung, Chonburi province. The officers received complaints that this company had imported goods without permission and sold the products that didn’t have a business registration from FDA.

From inspecting, the officers found that the department store was selling products such as beauty products, supplementary products, cosmetics and medicines which are illegal, according to the Food and Drug Act, Cosmetics Act and Tariff Act. The products were imported into the kingdom without permission so the officers seized all exhibits that worth more than 100 million THB and detained Mr. Yossawat Harnthanaprasert, aged 56 (Administrative Manager) and Ms. Phatthanan Thestharmmawithit, aged 30 (General Manager)Also the officers arrested a 22 male and female tour guides and 4 Cambodian employees working at the store to be prosecuted in the allegation of working in the kingdom without permission.

Full story: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/12/24/department-store-issued-with-writ/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-12-24

what is import taxes now on US and Europe made Boats ?

Surprisingly there are several Vitamax Co's all over Thailand. There are a few in Bangkok, one in Hua Hin, and even Korat that I know of because my GF bought soe of their stuff. Any more? I'm sure there are.

Here's their webpage: http://thaicompanypro.com/chonburi/bang-lamung/cosmetics-skincare/vitamax-health-beauty_37822/

Looks legit on the surface as a Thai registered company and it has links to hotels and places to see in Thailand. I guess the officials know better.

There is also a "Vitamax Foods Co" out of Singapore which is not the same. Maybe that's what I remember. Maybe Singapore didn;t like them using the same name.