longballlarry

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

longballlarry, on 24 Dec 2013 - 19:01, said:
Costas2008, on 24 Dec 2013 - 18:40, said:

"Another hour wasted in Thailand I will never get back"

So, because they refused to cut your boys hair in those Ladies hairdressing salons.....you will never come back to Thailand to see your kid and wife!

Hmmmmm.....may be they are better without you!facepalm.gif

A light hearted story mate, with a tongue in cheek title. Who said i was leaving my wife and kid behind, and they would be better without me. Jesus !

In any case, all clearly a bit wasted on you if I have to now explain it.

Have a lovely xmas. Enjoy pulling your cracker by yourself.

And a Lovely Christmas to you and your family.

I went to a dog grooming shop, knocked on the door as it was locked. No response from the lady I could clearly see inside. I knocked again, this time she looked at me but didn't budge. I knocked again, and she reluctantly came to the door. I said I want my dogs hair shaved off. She asked me what type of dog it was. I told her a big dog. She said she doesn't do big dogs!!

There is a difference in Beauty Salons and Barber shops, as the salons mostly cater to female services and a barber shop to cutting the hair of male customers,

As some salons also do haircuts, not all the female hair stylist do. I do not see anything wrong with the lady that does hair cuts is not here right now. It seems you went during the lunch hour, not a good time to go for a hair cut.

My wife has been my barber for about 6 years now.

Cheers

<deleted> is this" lunch hour". Read the O/P

There is a difference in Beauty Salons and Barber shops, as the salons mostly cater to female services and a barber shop to cutting the hair of male customers,

As some salons also do haircuts, not all the female hair stylist do. I do not see anything wrong with the lady that does hair cuts is not here right now. It seems you went during the lunch hour, not a good time to go for a hair cut.

My wife has been my barber for about 6 years now.

Cheers

He is indefensible....reading is not for all....

<deleted> is this" lunch hour". Read the O/P

5 shop bs him,they do the wrong thing and as usual half the posters act like it's the op's fault.

and as usual half the posters act like it's the op's fault...

...so the other half act like it's the Thais fault...so as usual its a draw tongue.png

I've just been out for a great dinner and drinks with some friends. That's another three hours I won't get back.

But if I was going to fruitlessly rake over the coals of my memory, I think I would rather think about the dinner, than the minutes that I spent waiting at traffic lights today.

Oh man - you should've seen the queue at the road tolls coming home this evening - four of the lanes were out of... no, I can't really be bothered.

SC

• Like 1

Ask yourself, would you want to cut a 3 year old's hair?

I have the same problem with my 3 year old by the way...

I find the cheapest Barber shops are willing to give it a go though.

However, he's a little b####rd when it comes to getting his hair cut, the barber has to wrestle with him and then gives up.

The wife and I end up doing it ourselves, taking pot shots a little at a time when he least expects it..

Needless to say his hair is atrocious :-)

• Like 1

Ask yourself, would you want to cut a 3 year old's hair?

I have the same problem with my 3 year old by the way...

I find the cheapest Barber shops are willing to give it a go though.

However, he's a little b####rd when it comes to getting his hair cut, the barber has to wrestle with him and then gives up.

The wife and I end up doing it ourselves, taking pot shots a little at a time when he least expects it..

Needless to say his hair is atrocious :-)

Can you not just get it done every year at shearing time?

• Like 2

Its those little repetitive frustrations that sometimes add up. The apathy of some towards work here in Thailand sometimes amazes me.

That same apathy can also be found anywhere else, however, it crops up here not by those wasting away at home on benefits, but by those also in a work place.

After being away at work for a month and working a routine of efficiency and commitment, getting out of 'work mode' and back into the 'mai-penrai' drift of life here often takes a few days or more.

The difference is that in Thailand even business owners don't care, and not only staff.

Let's wait that they meet the taxman...

laugh.png So i 'm not the only one that's getting aggrevated by the thai workingmentality. I do most things myself but no haircuts (yet).

I have visited many company's with a huge sign outside "BAKERY" , when i go in their shop they have 4 slices of pie for sale and a bag of cooky's.

Went to the garage with my wife and her car and told them to balance the wheels. They started lining out them wheels. When i told them that was allready done (by an other garage who could not even place those reflectors/mirrors properly on the rims) they told my wife that it was important to do that first so they continued doing that.

I needed a new battery for my notebook, went to Phuntip and found a batteryshop. I asked him how much it would cost and that was 1700. I decided to see other shops at well and came back to the first shop. There were 3 people behind the counter and the guy who helped me before was busy with another customer and then walked away with the customer. The other 2 didn't help me but started opening boxes. After 5 minutes i took my old battery of the counter and walked away when they called me back. Now he wanted to help me but i refused.

I wanted some jackfruit from a vendor, told him i wanted for 50 baht. Then he got a phonecall and after 5 minutes i still didn't have them, they were allready peeled in a bowl. I walked away again.

Many Thai have a villagers mentality, even in BKK. My wife would never walk away because she also has that mentality. They seem to not realise that there are plenty of vendors/shops who all sell the same product. If i get treated like that i won't come back.

Also for jackfruit i have been waiting for them when they are still peeling the fruits and then a local friend orders in the meantime and they do that order first. So when i think my fruits are ready they keep them apart for the friend and i have to wait for them to peel more. When they don't have customers waiting they start playing with their phone instead of peeling a stock of fruit for the next customer that might come.

I 'm happy with my barber though, costs 150 baht but i never have to wait because it is not busy there. I have been there sometimes before 1 o'clock. The shop is open then but they don't cut yet so i have to come back later. I know that now so that's fine.

I feel exhausted just reading your story

I don't read long stories, they have to be snappy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The aharn dam sang (food made to order) shop in my soi where I eat regularly is clean and she is a pretty good cook. Its muslim so no pork but still very clean. Regular dish is 30 baht, special 35. Good value. Cheap for Bangkok. One day, I came in and ordered - it was 12 noon and there were 3 others waiting for their food. After 3 minutes a gaggle of the girls comes in - 5 or so. Then another gaggle. I waited 30 minutes, took a few phone calls and after that simply put 40 Baht on the table and quietly left. Ate somewhere else. Next time in the owner comes over saying she is so sorry etc. I explained I had work to do, not a big deal. She insists I not pay for this plate but I paid anyway. Now more than a year later, I always get bumped up the queue no matter how busy. I'm a VIP.

Its those little repetitive frustrations that sometimes add up. The apathy of some towards work here in Thailand sometimes amazes me.

That same apathy can also be found anywhere else, however, it crops up here not by those wasting away at home on benefits, but by those also in a work place.

After being away at work for a month and working a routine of efficiency and commitment, getting out of 'work mode' and back into the 'mai-penrai' drift of life here often takes a few days or more.

Not necessarily apathy at work here. My gf owns a beauty shop and had an assistant for a while. That girl could not cut hair. She mostly cleaned the shop, did washing and drying of hair, and did nails. So that may explain a couple of responses the OP got (i.e., not everyone in the shop is able to cut hair). Also my gf stays at the back of her shop, so when she has an 'off day', she'll still be inside her shop with the shutters open but the sign pulled in. This sort of thing is common in her part of the country. People can usually tell if she's 'open' or not, but sometimes they'll pull up outside on their bikes and shout in to find out. No-one ever seems frustrated when she says she's taking a day off. Everyone deserves a day off, right?

laugh.png So i 'm not the only one that's getting aggrevated by the thai workingmentality. I do most things myself but no haircuts (yet).

I have visited many company's with a huge sign outside "BAKERY" , when i go in their shop they have 4 slices of pie for sale and a bag of cooky's.

Went to the garage with my wife and her car and told them to balance the wheels. They started lining out them wheels. When i told them that was allready done (by an other garage who could not even place those reflectors/mirrors properly on the rims) they told my wife that it was important to do that first so they continued doing that.

I needed a new battery for my notebook, went to Phuntip and found a batteryshop. I asked him how much it would cost and that was 1700. I decided to see other shops at well and came back to the first shop. There were 3 people behind the counter and the guy who helped me before was busy with another customer and then walked away with the customer. The other 2 didn't help me but started opening boxes. After 5 minutes i took my old battery of the counter and walked away when they called me back. Now he wanted to help me but i refused.

I wanted some jackfruit from a vendor, told him i wanted for 50 baht. Then he got a phonecall and after 5 minutes i still didn't have them, they were allready peeled in a bowl. I walked away again.

Many Thai have a villagers mentality, even in BKK. My wife would never walk away because she also has that mentality. They seem to not realise that there are plenty of vendors/shops who all sell the same product. If i get treated like that i won't come back.

Also for jackfruit i have been waiting for them when they are still peeling the fruits and then a local friend orders in the meantime and they do that order first. So when i think my fruits are ready they keep them apart for the friend and i have to wait for them to peel more. When they don't have customers waiting they start playing with their phone instead of peeling a stock of fruit for the next customer that might come.

I 'm happy with my barber though, costs 150 baht but i never have to wait because it is not busy there. I have been there sometimes before 1 o'clock. The shop is open then but they don't cut yet so i have to come back later. I know that now so that's fine.

That kind of stuff really irritates me ! Same but different, in 7 / 11, I buy something frozen and they ask me 'wave mai' I say yes. Then they take my money and throw the frozen box on the counter behind them and try to serve the next customer. In the past I have had to wait for them to serve many extra customers during a rush before finally remembering to put my thing in and cook it. I refuse to let them do so now until they have put the damn box in the microwave asnd pressed the start button. Took a while but the local gets it now and doesn't mess me around so much. Bet they hate me though....

My daughter was once bitten by a dog here in Thailand. It was not a bad bite but required that we went to the emergency room to have it checked, closed, cleaned etc. When we arrived at the hospital, it took less than 2 min. before my daughter was seen my a doctor and was treated. 45 min. later we where out of there...

When my daughter once broke her arm in my home country. It took 4 hours of waiting before we got to see a doctor there and by the time it was our turn, the arm had swollen to double size. They even managed to not put in back together properly, so she had to have an operation the day after.

Guess what country I would prefer, if it came to a broken arm or a dog bite? Thailand is not always bad or slow... In many cases they are much more effective.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

paid by he day, not interested in doing actual work... dont get commission

dont you love in a mall, with many attendants, talking to each other or on the phone, and none is there to help you

when you ask: have this or that, it is mostly : MAI MEE

off you go find yourself

• Like 1

I'm in a song tau making the turn at the corner to head to the mall. A girl wearing a short black skirt in he hair salon starts waving almost hysterically. She's cute. So I stop. Walk to the shop. Me, "whats the problem (yes I can say that in Thai)" She, "I want to cut your hair ohhh, yes please?" So I get a haircut 60 baht and give her 500 baht tip. It was a really good haircut.xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.zYprVTCWT1.web alt=biggrin.png pagespeed_url_hash=14303579 width=20 height=20>

I hope this story doesn't end there

I think it did (just before the 500 baht tip).

I think you are questioning my veracity. I'll have you know I'm not a wannabe expat or Virtual Virgin. I live in Thailand with all the benefits and not so beneficial things that go with that status. And further, Christmas tree lights don't always mean Happy Christmas!

I'm not sure what that answer means but I guess the guys were expecting a different response. Actually I have just decided my hair is far too long. Can you give at least a bit more information about the location and name of this shop and the name of the girl. I want to check if what you say is true and the cutie really does do a great haircut. thumbsup.gif

Thanks in advance

Den

I know what you were thinking. You were hoping to spend some time with some cute Thai girls ooying and ahing over your adorable child while you starred at their cleavage and when that did not happen you got pissed off and mutilated your child's hair at home and then took yet another long shower.

your very sick you have to check yourself in with the police

I live life on life's terms. I also have feet and use them frequently to move on to various merchants whose business practices I find comfortable.

Life is a journey and there are plenty rest stops to help me put the adventure into perspective. I also know that there are no refunds for any of my time spent, so I try to get the most value from it.

Easy Does It.