Getting my Thai drivers licence.... so easy

AussieSteve

Hi Guys, my second post.... only been in Thailand for two weeks now, but have read so many stories on how difficult it can be to get a Thai drivers licence.

This is my experience, first I have a non imm. o visa, I have rented a house in a small village so I went to the Australian embassy to get a signed affi davit of confirmation of residence. Because I wanted both car and motor-bike licence I took two copies of everything. That being:-

Copies of International Drivers licence, Australian drivers licence, passport, visa in passport, boarding card in passport, Doctors certificate (which I got done in my local hospital 150baht), confirmation of residence from embassy. Two of everything. I had two photos but they weren't needed as they took photos there.

Contrary to what I have heard I didn't need a Thai translation of my International drivers Licence. But when you photo copy it, copy the front page too.

Building 4 second floor, in the Dept Land and Transport at Morchit. Easy to get to, BTS to Morchit exit on the side opposite the park, head back towards BKK centre and 5 minutes on the left a very large complex, just ask for building 4 and go and see reception. Everyone very friendly all speak enough English to get the job done, in and out in 20 minutes. No waiting anywhere, straight through. 105baht for the car and 55baht for the bike licence.

A lot quicker than back in Aussie.

Great experience.

Good result, the people saying its so hard are the one too lazy to get off their <deleted> and make excuses

If you already have a foreign licence getting a thai one is easy..…so all you have to do is wait a year and get your full thai DL again a very easy process

Yes but the OP also had the benefit of advanced info from this very site so that helped him through the hoops that one would normally jump through going through the process the first time without it. While he says how easy it is though I've never applied in Aussie, here in the states I've never had to provide the level of proof required there, nor do I have to take any drivers tests, my 35 years of driving (26 of them without incident) is plenty of proof of my abilities so I can't say it was easier though not expressly difficult..

Glad the site helped make it easier for you OP that's it's purpose..Good luck, now the fun really begins..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Yeah so what? That's to be expected for security purposes. Just got my license renewed for 6 more years on line and never had to step into an office had it transferred twice since then too due to address changes and again never had to step into an office, it was mailed to me immediately, sorry but your point is missing the target and moot..