How much does 1 kWh electricity costs?

Mole

• 1 month later...

Our electricity bill averages at 2150 THB per month. I'm not sure if that's normal.

We (2 ppl) live in a 80 sqm apartment, we only use the air con in one bedroom and only at night. The stereo and 2 comps is basically on all day and sometimes the fan.

Since we'll be moving to a larger villa in a couple of months I'm fearing high costs for electricity. We've been offered a monthly rental price with electricity included that is 5K higher than without. Does it sound like a reasonable deal? :D

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by saweden

Our electricity bill averages at 2150 THB per month. I'm not sure if that's normal.

We (2 ppl) live in a 80 sqm apartment, we only use the air con in one bedroom and only at night. The stereo and 2 comps is basically on all day and sometimes the fan.

Since we'll be moving to a larger villa in a couple of months I'm fearing high costs for electricity. We've been offered a monthly rental price with electricity included that is 5K higher than without. Does it sound like a reasonable deal? biggrin.png

Good deal if you are running about 5 air-conditioners.

Since we'll be moving to a larger villa in a couple of months I'm fearing high costs for electricity. We've been offered a monthly rental price with electricity included that is 5K higher than without. Does it sound like a reasonable deal? biggrin.png

A large villa compared to an 80 sqm apartment , all up 5 k more. In my opinion good.

how large is a "larger" villa?

Tariffs are identical nationwide.

The usual tariff for private household is "1.2" as described at this site:

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=en&tid=3&mid=111&pid=109

("1.2 Normal tariff with consumption exceeding 150 kWh per month")

The site is Metropolitan Electricity Authority, but the tariff here in upcountry is identical (I have the latest bill from PEA at hand).

There is a small base price (service charge) and then a progressive tariff (3 stages) depending on consumption.

Additionally there is a flexible fuel cost surcharge (Ft) per kWh flat (new fixing every 4 months).

That is why prices may vary over the year even at same consumption.

Currently it is 0.59 THB per kWh.

About the same details in this previous post smile.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/681007-electricity-cost-bangkok/#entry7028809

An overall price of 4.x Baht/kWh is typical for private households.

Ours was 4.2 Baht/kWh in December due to low consumption (no aircon since months).

Latest Ft (Fuel adjustment charge) for Jan to Apr 2014, 0.59 Baht/kWh:

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=en&tid=3&mid=2986&pid=2985

You will only pay the official rate in Bangkok if you pay directly to the MEA, some rented properties charge a higher rate with the owner pocketing the difference.

True. A popular way to make extra bucks on rented appartements etc.
I refer to the direct bill from the PEA/MEA.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Two of us and a dog live in a 3 bedroom villa - fans on 24/7, no a/c. 4 Fridges and a swimming pool pump. average cost - 5,000 - 6,000 baht per month at 5.7 baht per unit plus VAT.

If you plan to use a/c- take the 5,000 add on. a/c has a huge impact on the bill.

• Like 1

Sounds somewhat plausible. Guess you forgot to mention the fridge? What about washing machine (hot or cold) ?

5000 Baht for electricity for two people is quite high.

In the other case make sure (contract) that you pay the original bill directly to the supplier (not to the landlord).

This 5000 Baht offer smells fishy.

It very much depends on the use of the aircon (how big is the room, how long does it run, a what temperature, how good is the house in terms of insulation/windows etc.).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2