Electricity Cost Bangkok

monty1412

Yes, the price varies with the amount used.

For nomal household tariffs, there are three different price scales:

1 to 150 kWh, 2,7628/kWh

151 to 400 kWh, 3.7362/kWh

401 kWh and above, 3.9361/kWh

There is a small service charge of 38.22 Baht added.

And then there is a flexible "Ft" addon per kWh.

This "fuel surcharge" is newly determined every 4 months.

So your cost varies over the year even with the exact same amount of kWh.

After everything summed up, there is a 7% tax added.

So its pure coincidence if you have the same price / kWh in total.

4.12 Baht/kWh is a plausible price for a small household consumption.

Usually households have tariff 1.2:

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=en&tid=3&mid=111&pid=109

Latest Ft surcharge info is available in Thai only:

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=th&tid=3&mid=2986&pid=2985

Ft for Sep to Dec 2013 is 0.5110 Baht/kWh.

The above refers to the original end user price of MEA/EGAT.

Some condo tenats are charged ridicolous fixed rates by their landlords.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Wouldn't that be apartment tenants? In my condo all bills are paid by me, only the rent goes to the landlady.

I just came to the Bangkok forum to post about my ever increasing monthly electricity charge and saw this post so decided to post here instead - maybe you could help?

My bill this month (for a 55sqm 1 bed condo) is 1,590.

Usually, it is about 1,280.

But this month, I have ONLY been having cold showers in the morning. So how is it that after doing that, my bill is the highest it's ever been?

Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't that be apartment tenants? In my condo all bills are paid by me, only the rent goes to the landlady.

I just came to the Bangkok forum to post about my ever increasing monthly electricity charge and saw this post so decided to post here instead - maybe you could help?

But this month, I have ONLY been having cold showers in the morning. So how is it that after doing that, my bill is the highest it's ever been?

Thanks in advance.

If your bill comes direct to you from MEA and is the normal white and orange trimmed envelope, it will have this months consumption (units) as well as your consumption listed by month for the last 6 months.

How is it doing it I dont know, the first step is to turn off your electricity and see if the meter is still turning.

1 to 150 kWh, 2,7628/kWh

Good info.

Any idea what the business/commercial rates are? ie. hotel/serviced apartments?

Thanks in advance.

I had your exact situation about a year ago. I usually about 1000, and one month it was almost 1500. I thought like you for a while, then I realized I drilled some holes in my bathroom tiles and it took a while. Mine went back down the next month. I'd say, wait a month for now and see. You may have done something you forgot about. I know what you mean though, there seems to be some weird stuff that goes on with the electricity bills here. The Thais feel they'd be remiss if they are not bending you over.

Interesting thread thanks.

I live in the north east in a 4 bedroom house. My electricity provider is the provincial electricity authority.

I have no idea what my per unit charge is for electricity - I can't find it on any of my monthly bills. I've also often wondered about the item Ft in the past - thanks to this thread I now know it's an apparently random add-on.

For me, the total amount of the Ft charge for the September bill was 283THB and for the October bill it was 359THB. The Ft unit charge on both those bills was 0.54. So it seems the PEA has a different Ft charge to the Metropolitan authority.

There is a 7% tax charge itemised on the bills too. That gets added on right at the end, so I even pay that 7% VAT on the Ft charge!

My household electricity bills, and usage, has been steadily creeping up over the past few months. In October I used 666 units and the total bill was 2999THB. In September I used 524 units and the charge was 2309THB.

My wife and I wondered why our bills were getting higher, as we could think of nothing we've done to increase our electricity use. In the end we decided it must've been our water pump. It turned out that during the rainy season we had a broken water pipe. The pipe is buried in the garden and runs from our storage tank to the house. We were not aware of the leak - we just thought the large puddles/flooding in the garden were from the rain everyday. Only once the rains stopped and we saw that parts of the garden didn't dry out did we realise we had a leak. After a bit of digging we found the break and fixed it. We reckon the automatic water pump must have been working more or less non-stop pumping water out of the leaking pipe for a lot of the rainy season.

Broken pipe now fixed (until the next time - curse these plastic pipes). Water pump is now also being monitored more closely - we turn off the power to it now when we're not using the water. Wise after the event. I'm hoping the next electricity bill is a lot lower - before this issue arose my bill was typically about 1700THB per month.

we have a fully modern house in issan.....3 of us....we have air con but don't use it ( you can run 50 fans all day and night and its still cheaper than air con )we have hot showers, all the mod cons nothing is speared including the water from a pump and a deep well so no water charges....our monthly bill is average 600-620 bht a month and we don't hold back on anything apart from the air con which I don't need....

Our condo was 1700 B for the month of October. I don't know about square meters, but our condo was 14X24foot.

I ran the air conditioner on 23 or 24 C , 24/7. We ocassionaly used the water heater, because the water tanks on the roof

Were stainless and absorbed the heat of the day and in the evening, the water was fairly warm. The water bill was

170 Baht.

ChuLai 6768

Our condo was 1700 B for the month of October. I don't know about square meters, but our condo was 14X24foot.

I ran the air conditioner on 23 or 24 C , 24/7. We ocassionaly used the water heater, because the water tanks on the roof

Were stainless and absorbed the heat of the day and in the evening, the water was fairly warm. The water bill was

170 Baht.

ChuLai 6768

Your condo is about 37sq.m

This is the full details about a year and a half at our house in Chiang Mai. 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 5 AC units but usually only one running perhaps 12 hours/ day in the master bedroom which is my office also. That bedroom is 55 m^2 so a large AC unit. A variety of TVs, computers, kitchen appliances, hot water heaters. Take note of the FT (fuel tax) rate which is now at .54/unit but fluctuates based on fuel costs to operate the power plants. There was a report on Thaivisa a little while ago about a 35% increase in electric charges coming in the near future.

Thought this historical data as an example of price breakdown over a period of time may be of interest.

post-566-0-76003200-1384271991_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 2 room condo in Jomtien (74 square metres). When I lived alone, my monthly bill was around 1,000 baht per month perhaps a bit higher in the hot season due to occasional use of the aircon. Since my girlfriend moved in it has risen to 1,700 baht per month due to her cooking every day plus the television in the living room being on from much of the time.

I have ceiling fans in both rooms which are used in preference to the aircon though. In the hotter months, it is used for maybe an hour or so per day maximum.

Alan

Good info.

I have no specific experience with that.

But if you start from this link:

then on the left hand vertical menu, you will find different kinds of commercial tariffs, e.g. for users of high voltage connecting points.

• Like 1

If you are having increasing bills I would look to the aircon first.

My last house, 3 bed, bills were coming in at 3,300 which I think is way too much. Had the oldest aircon changed and the bill dropped to an average of 1,800.

even having them (properly) cleaned can reduce a bill...

New house, doors and windows all seal, brand new air con units throughout and use air at night only, the bills are averaging 1,400 per month.

• Like 1

Sorry i know this is the Bangkok forum..but just a general thing re electricity charges. My apartment here in Kamphaeng Phet wants to charge 7baht per unit!

I feel, looking at prices of others on here i may be getting slightly ripped somewhat? or is this normal for private apartment rentals?

I only have 1 medium sized room really with 1 air con unit.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^^^^^, happens all over Thailand, at 7 baht per unit thats actually not too bad.

Also ask how much they will be charging for water.

Many are attracted to these cheap rental places, because of cheap rent, they fail to take into accoung being gouged for water and electricity.

You may be better off getting a slightly more expensive place that chargers normal prices for water and elect.

• Like 1

Good info.

I have no specific experience with that.

But if you start from this link:

then on the left hand vertical menu, you will find different kinds of commercial tariffs, e.g. for users of high voltage connecting points.

Thanks!

Clicking on Specific Business Service (hotels, lodging) gives rates of 2.1 to 3.8 baht/kwh (plus service charge), depending on off/on peak, much higher than the rates actually charged to tenants, usually 6-7 baht/kwh in BKK.

Needless to say, Thai proprietors found another way to make some extra money.

We are being gouged 6.5 baht a unit for our 40 m2 apartment in central Bangkok. Ok for an apartment that size and one a/c unit the price is around 2,000 baht a month, but the fact that my Chinese-Thai landlady is profiting form my electric usage is galling. Typical though: low up front cost and then grab as much as you can from other charges. We needed somewhere to stay so signed on for 6 months. Thats up in April and we'll be looking for a better rent+electric+water deal.

I was paying about 10 baht per unit until I moved. Guy charged us for everything he could as we moved out too. If "these people" rented cars they would charge you for wear on the tires, I swear to god. They just dont seem to get certain concepts here. But I agree with the above gentleman.... they have a low initial cost, then they nickle and dime you until you are fully bent over, even grabbing your ankles, when you move out.

I was paying about 10 baht per unit until I moved. Guy charged us for everything he could as we moved out too. If "these people" rented cars they would charge you for wear on the tires, I swear to god. They just dont seem to get certain concepts here. But I agree with the above gentleman.... they have a low initial cost, then they nickle and dime you until you are fully bent over, even grabbing your ankles, when you move out.

^^^^, already mentioned this above.

. they have a low initial cost, then they nickle and dime you until you are fully bent over, even grabbing your ankles,

I remember visiting a friends place, as he was opening the door I said to him, I think you have a water leak.

Dont worry he said, this place charges a flat rate of 500 baht per month for water (work that out)

What said friend did was, before he left his condo, he turned the taps on at full blast so they were running non stop for about 10 hours a day.

When I asked him about insurance or flooding, answer was, not my place not my problem.

My last bill for electricity AND water was around 800B.

Out the house most days from 9am to 9pm bar maybe 2hours where I come back to eat. Aircon is never on as apartment isn't too hot. TV often on when in and computer and / or phone always plugged in as both have terrible battery life.

1 to 150 kWh, 2,7628/kWh

Good info.

My first 6 months here I stayed in a 55sq.m serviced apartment for Thb30K/month. Unlimited electricity, maid service plus fresh bed linen every day, pool and gym. Pretty good deal.

Now I'm in the GF's place it's much cheaper but the apartment managers do ramp up the electricity charges.

We are being gouged 6.5 baht a unit for our 40 m2 apartment in central Bangkok. Ok for an apartment that size and one a/c unit the price is around 2,000 baht a month, but the fact that my Chinese-Thai landlady is profiting form my electric usage is galling. Typical though: low up front cost and then grab as much as you can from other charges. We needed somewhere to stay so signed on for 6 months. Thats up in April and we'll be looking for a better rent+electric+water deal.

I think 2000 baht/month is not cheap for one A/C unit and 40 sq mt. Unless that A/C was on about 20 hrs a day.

Yes landlords here sure could be profiting from utilities. Try to find out what your Thai neighbors are paying. They negotiate EVERYTHING. But they have an advantage, they would bring 10 of their friends who live in the area, showing that they pay 4 baht/unit, plus maybe bring a guy from the electric company. We bring...our farang passports.

• Like 1

2000 Baht at 6.5 / kWh is about 300 kWh.

300 kWh is not excessively much.

The original tariff would be about 1250 Baht.

The online calculator (small household tariff) is available in Thai language only, but not rocket science to use:

http://www.mea.or.th/aboutelectric/index.php?l=th&tid=4&mid=280&pid=116&ctForm=form12

Enter the amount of kWh in the first field.

Unfortunately the preset value for Ft (second field) is not up-to-date, but you can correct it in the second field.

Current value is 51.10 (as far as I know).

Hit the button below.

Scroll down for total amount.

Edited by KhunBENQ