Yingluck seeks to recruit tech students to repair tablets, teach kids

webfact

I'd like to get involved with this program or something like it. But I'm not sure who to contact so I can get a work permit to volunteer.

Technology like this at such a young age is very important. I have resources (time, money, network) to make an impact, but just not the work permit to actually do anything sad.png

Select a small school in your vicinity. Send the manager a short e-mail explaining your ideas. Visit him afew days later. Offer him to work for a limited period for free to introduce the tablets to teachers and kids. Find a sponsor for the tablets first ("I have recources (time, money, network))". Then when the manager hires you and you get results in a few months time you're in business.

From there you'll have different ways to spread things.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you are saying but I still feel that (at this stage anyway) a tablet is more of a social thing than an actual productive one.

How many educational apps are there, let alone those written in Thai? Even young children can learn from simple educational "games", in fact if the app or program is written properly they don't even realize they are learning maths or whatever.

At seven years old I would think simple addition and subtraction along with some literacy skills would be appropriate, wouldn't you think? That is 2 years of schooling at that stage.

There are actually quite a number of apps available for education, at least with the iPad. But why worry about the apps being in Thai? Why not introduce them to English as well? And it wouldn't be very hard to translate apps to Thai. Let's contact the software author to see how much it would cost to re-release the app in Thai (with the text supplied by "us"), then contact the organizing body to see if they'll foot the bill. If that doesn't pan out, put it up on Kickstarter.

I agree that tablets have been settling in as a social thing. But I believe it's because of society and people, not the actual technology. Technology is moving faster than people can keep up, and we all know how fast governments move. This is a GLOBAL problem.

Let's go a step further. Let's inspire the local citizens about programming. Heard of http://code.org ? Let's show them programming isn't for the hard core nerds and that anyone can do it. They can develop apps to be the next Angry Birds, or develop apps to help their local community.

I can go on about this for hours, haha. It's something I feel deeply passionate about.

With a tablet one can surf the internet. There are heaps and heaps of educational websites for online exercises. If a school can get a few dozen tablets they can get decent internet too.

Wow! So many good replies! Thank you all!

@Appwill, you have a lot of enthusiasm, but you are thinking with a 'Western' brain about this project. Sad to say, you have no chance of any of your good ideas getting off the ground.

Simon

I definitely know I'm coming from a Western mindset about it. That's why I sold off all my things and moved to Asia, so I can immerse myself into the culture and learn how to adapt. I will also agree that I do feel this specific idea has a high probability of failure. I want to push this idea and see where the "leaks" are. Maybe that will lead to smaller, more easily attainable opportunities. I won't know if I don't try. For example, maybe my biggest hurdle is with the MoE. Then I can spend some time researching that aspect and make contacts, which who knows where that'll lead to.

Very good Appwill. Your energy and views will be more effective elsewhere than in this forum though. I fear in here the number of progressive and openminded people is quite limited. There is no way to prevent integrating ict in schools. Unfortunately too many people involved are too sceptical scared for the fairly unknown. Working tablets are fine to replace books in some subjects (mathematics f.i.). But they are great for the first years of elementary school. And for kids in others years and highschool students tablets are a great resource as well. For many subjects in school one can do exercises in the internet. Instructional educational video's are popping up all over the place. All it takes is to bring the teachers and the kids faster to them. When that happens things will be booming.

I agree. Right now, I have a plan in place where I need to learn to at least speak the language. I also have other projects that I'm working on as well. That's why I'm not putting all my energy into this right now. Definitely, times are changing, where new teachers will be entering the schools, who have "years" of technology experience (Facebooking). I only need to convince a small amount of people to get things started.

This post seem to cite The Nation as a source. I've emailed The Nation before on a few other articles, to try to find out where they get their information, but never ever get a response back. I was hoping to get something from a governmental body, though I doubt anything like that would be available online.

Select a small school in your vicinity. Send the manager a short e-mail explaining your ideas. Visit him afew days later. Offer him to work for a limited period for free to introduce the tablets to teachers and kids. Find a sponsor for the tablets first ("I have recources (time, money, network))". Then when the manager hires you and you get results in a few months time you're in business.

From there you'll have different ways to spread things.

That's the plan! But I fear any effort of doing that right now will go against my tourist visa. But that plan is definitely the idea. It's not very hard :)

Thank you everyone for replying!

"Consideration should also be given to extending the free tablets to Prathom 2, besides Prathom 1, and increasing the budget for the project, she said."

The PM may have missed this one:

"For students who received tablets last year, they are now also stuck, as Obec has not yet downloaded new content and new applications for them. To date, the content downloading for Prathom 2 students is still in the initial phase."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/643846-tablets-proving-to-be-a-big-headache-thai-chalk-talk/

and maybe this one as well:

"BANGKOK, June 29, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand will pay $110 million to two firms to supply 1.2 million tablet computers to schools across the country, the Education Ministry announced Friday, awarding the tender for the next phase of a controversial schools policy."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/649957-thailand-orders-12-million-tablet-computers-for-pupils/

and maybe this

"BANGKOK: -- The board overseeing the government's One Tablet PC Per Child project has resolved to hold off on the bidding process in one of the four zones in the wake of alleged irregularities. The e-auctions took place on June 28."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/654453-tablet-computer-bidding-for-zone-3-put-on-hold-one-tablet-pc-per-child-project/?p=6625320&hl=%2Btablet+%2Bpc+%2Bm1

What does it matter to YS and the govt. It is not their money and TS cronies surely made their share of the money. Though not as lucrative as the rice scheme. Again crazy irresponsible promise in the name of obtaining votes/vote buying. Call it for what it is. But thiis along with all the promises, there is no money in the kitty.

• Like 1

I asked back in post 49 where these tablets are, no answers.

Is there anyone on here who is in an area that actually has tablets ?

If so could you give an on the ground factual report of where they are and if possible how useful they are and what percentage are broken.

After all the PM has just admitted that enough of them are broken to require someone to repair them.

2 years ago, I made the mistake of buying a Chinese made tablet. Piece of kaka. I gave it to a kid. She told me, next time we met, that she chucked it in the waste can.

Meanwhile, Thailand has a dearth of libraries. The main/only library in my city of Chiang Rai has a few dozen books, and none look newer than 10 years old. Sad indeed. But if some influential Thai wanted to put together a katoy kissing marathon event, there would be dozens of big-money sponsors lining up to sponsor it.

Perhaps caretaker-PM Yingluck should consider paying the poor students, for the use of their skills in repairing the tablet-computers or in giving training in how to use them ? wink.png

Or have the funds for their repair/maintenance been diverted, in a vain attempt to avoid funding for the out-of-control rice-scheme running dry, which seems to be upsetting her poor rice-farmers currently ? whistling.gif

You don't get Owt for Nowt, caretaker-Prime Minister !

Perhaps caretaker-PM Yingluck should consider paying the poor students, for the use of their skills in repairing the tablet-computers or in giving training in how to use them ? wink.png

Or have the funds for their repair/maintenance been diverted, in a vain attempt to avoid funding for the out-of-control rice-scheme running dry, which seems to be upsetting her poor rice-farmers currently ? whistling.gif

We do not seem to have any record of purchase,

How many were initially ordered, and how many were delivered ???

How many are in use now ???

How many more shall be delivered to fulfill the election promise?????

How many need repairing ???

What was the cost of the actual tablets delivered ????

Because of no real answers to the problems gives the people the idea----They smell a dead rat somewhere.

We do not seem to have any record of purchase,

How many were initially ordered, and how many were delivered ???

How many are in use now ???

How many more shall be delivered to fulfill the election promise?????

How many need repairing ???

What was the cost of the actual tablets delivered ????

Because of no real answers to the problems gives the people the idea----They smell a dead rat somewhere.

"a dead rat somewhere"

Squeak, Eek ! wink.png

Sniff, Niff ! rolleyes.gif

Smirk, nice work ! laugh.png

Approx. 2000 schools in Thailand don´t have electricity.

Wow, that's surprising. Where can I find more information about this?

2,000 Thai Schools Don’t Have Electricity.

http://spreadtheflame.com/2012/01/over-2000-schools-in-thailand-dont-have-electricity/

And it's not just electricity that they don't have so they can recharge their toy tablets. I have a Dutch friend doing a charity project with European contributions. They are buying desks for classrooms that don't even have enough desks for the students. Many of them are sitting on a dirt floor during class, and they swap desks every so often. All this just a short drive away from billion baht resort projects.

The article's title claims 'recruit' ...that implies payment. The Shinawatres are Chinese-Thais, they pay as little as possible for help. I've known U students who get jobs as interns in their chosen professions - such as aiding hospital or business staff. Guess how much they get paid by Chinese-Thai multi-million baht consortiums? 25 baht per day. That's right, 25 baht per day. And if they're lucky, they get a free lunch of rice with a few marginally edible things mixed in.

I certainly don't see how I could replace the computer I use at work with a tablet. I sometimes wonder how productive a mouse is in reality, it is quite often easier to perform tasks on a computer with keystrokes. Using a touch screen is awkward and I find them difficult to use when typing or on a HMI at work trying to hit the "little red cross in the corner to close the window".

There are a few points to address here.

How "productive" does one need to be at six or seven years old? Or even the average person? Your work and workflows probably relies on using a traditional computer system. So your work cannot be replaced by a tablet. But that isn't the case with other jobs.

A tablet is also far more mobile than a more productive desktop or even notebook computer. My iPad is constantly on WiFi or 3G. Most notebooks don't even come with built in 3G cards and can last 8+ hours.

For example:

My mom uses her iPad much more than her Macbook Pro. She doesn't really like to use the MBP because she's often confused or intimidated by it. Does she double click or single click on this icon? She often has problems keeping the mouse still when double clicking, which results in "doesn't work". She peck types, so obviously a command-line interface won't do very well for her.

Updating your Facebook status or replying to ThaiVisa posts is much more productive on a full size keyboard. But mobile Facebook is HUGE, and there is already a number of posts ending with "Thaivisa mobile app" signatures.

As with any "new" technology, it will take some time to make a transition. Just as when notebook computers first appeared, you had to choose between mobility and power. These days, notebook computers continually replace desktops.

I'm really in favor of the tablet. When the iPad first appeared, I mocked it as being an oversized iPhone. Then I saw all the productivity apps. Mind was blown. This program may not have been successful from the start, but let's not forget the whole healthcare.gov fiasco.

Let's pitch in and put together ways to make this work. :)

I have no doubt that between all of us we could come up with numerous ways to 'make this work'. However, a couple of obstacles:

1. The government want this scheme to APPEAR to be a success before the upcoming election. Perception, NOT reality.

2. They don't actually give a shit and aren't listening to ideas, especially from us.

My students are issued with a notebook each (Dell version of the Mac Air), and it's been a huge success this year, because we planned for this situation and have some knowledge of computers and how/when and when not to use them. Our students have school email accounts, use google docs, age appropriate search engines, and use computers for researching, collaborating, making citations, etc etc. I work in a school which is well funded and run by people who care about education, and who have the skills to make it happen.

A different situation from this situation, in almost every way.

In Thailand, this whole tablet idea was 'just an election promise' until they had to make it a reality or face being dissolved.

I can't see how they can turn it around, and they're probably not going to try. Perception is their game, and with a public as gullible as this, it shouldn't be too hard. After all, most of the Thai public has been through the Thai education system, sadly.

We probably shouldn't worry about this, but as I said, it's sad and tragic.

BTW someone mentioned battery life, did you notice that the tablets in the picture were plugged in?

Not even enough battery life for a photo op!

I'd love to ask the children, in front of YL, how they've been using the computers in the class, if they have internet (and how fast is it?), what do they generally use them for? Why are they plugged in? Etc.

Maybe the teacher explain how they're using them? Oh wait, I don't see the teacher anywhere, she's probably waiting outside.

My guess is that the tablets are being used as parents use televisions, to shut children up and keep them quiet, detracting from their education instead of enriching it. Either that or not being used at all, except at break and lunch.

And yes, I've worked in a Thai school, but not currently :)

• Like 1