Transferring foreign DL to Thai DL

Misterwhisper

Hi, I am having a general question with regards to obtaining a Thai driving license and hope that some of you guys might be able to enlighten me.

I hold a driving license from my home country (Germany), which is valid for life (i.e. it never expires). Had it translated into both Thai and English by a professional translation office.

If I visit the Land Transport Department and present my original license together with the two translations and other relevant documents (passport, visa, work permit) is it possible to get a Thai DL issued based on that?

Or will I still have to go through the normal application process and also sit an exam?

I am aware that the Thai DL will be initially valid for only 1 year and can be extended for another 5 years after that.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Maybe, maybe not. Will depend on the DL office, the officer there, his/her mood, your presence, etc.

If not: do the exam, not that difficult anyway, and the difference between the hand out and the exam is minimal.

Only thing your German license will do for you is that you will not need to take the driving test. You will be required to take the written and the other tests

Most people run into trouble if their overseas license doesn't specifically state that it is also good for motorcycles, then they have to bring a motor cycle to the Land Transport Office and take the driving test

As Steveni said, it depends on the DLT office.

A few years back, I went into the local one and showed my Canadian automobile driver's licence. Lots of copies, examination of documents, etc. but no test at all, other than colours and reflex test.

I got the Thai motorbike licence. No written test, no driving test. Just paid my fee, had my photo taken, and short time later, walked out with my one year licence, which later I I turned into the five year one.

Seems it does very much depend on which local office you've got.