Why you shouldn't hire a motor taxi in Bangkok

upinthesky

I trust the motor bike taxis more than the car taxis!! They're (more so) on instinctive alert IMO. Not that I haven't been on a couple that were unacceptably reckless at the time I was their fare. In the two cases when it happened (over a 16 year span) I respectfully point to the side, get off, pay the fare, and grab another. Good thus far.

• Like 2

Part of being a good driver, especially in Thailand, is anticipating that others will not respect the laws of the road (if there is even such a thing in LOS), and act accordingly. You have just assumed that as the light is red, you are free to do what you want at the light and junction and have applied a mentality more in tune with an advanced Western country. Sadly my friend, you are the idiot in this video (rightly or wrongly), pulling off at a stupid and dangerous speed, narrowly missing the bus. One of the things that annoys me in Bangkok is farang motorists trying to be 'Billy Big Balls'.

Hmmmm lost 30% of her brain huh? Does she sound like an Aussie (Australian) now? Sorry bad joke I know but I just couldnt resist... facepalm.gif

Naaah....you have to lose at least 50% of your brain to qualify for Aussie status xsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.U0q5B6ouVF.webp

90% to be a Kiwi.

But seriously I am sure you would not be laughing if you had the same happen to you.

Edited by harrry

I think it's sort of funny that the OP is pointing out the poor judgement of the motorcycle taxi driver in a video where the OP himself takes his bike up to almost 110 km/h very quickly in Bangkok. I would think that is not legal or showing good judgement, either.

And why was he videoing in the first place? Just riding around videoing, texting and maybe a FB update or two, hoping to find something worth posting on TV that would stir the Amen Corner of the Thai Bashing Cabal??

So a bus cut you up? Don't you know by now that ALL traffic in Asia is governed by one simple rule - I'm bigger so I go first.

Might is right!!

The OP was under some heavy acceleration, and one may argue whether that was appropriate.

"ALL traffic in Asia is governed by one simple rule"

Including farang videographers.

Edited by Suradit69

Hmmmm lost 30% of her brain huh? Does she sound like an Aussie (Australian) now? Sorry bad joke I know but I just couldnt resist... facepalm.gif

Had no effects of great consequence. You'd never know, really. She went on to get her Master's Degree and is now happily married and living in Florida.

Obviously OP is not a good rider. Following the motorcycle taxi instead of looking at what's coming ahead. And that's a lot of acceleration given that people like to shoot out from left and right. I don't buy it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Naaah....you have to lose at least 50% of your brain to qualify for Aussie status xsorry.gif.pagespeed.ic.U0q5B6ouVF.webp

90% to be a Kiwi.

But seriously I am sure you would not be laughing if you had the same happen to you.

Anyone with half a brain would agree

• Like 1