spectacles, the best price

infinity11

I paid by Paypal and had no problems, so I don't know why you did. My Paypal address is registered in Thailand so it should be the same situation I suppose?

The frames looked very nice, but having said that, I noticed a few complaints on their feedback site that this particular frame was prone to break at the nose when people polish the glass. My second choice didn't have any complaints so let's hope they'll be ok.

I think you'll be very hard pressed to find a farang sized memory titanium frame with progressive bifocals, hard coated and clip-on sun shades for the ~1,800 baht all in I paid.

I had a similar problem with Paypal: my account was based in the US with a US address, and my Thai address as an additional address. I would buy something from the internet, and the payment would get refused by Paypal because they wouldn't allow shipping to Thailand.

Contacted Paypal, and followed their advice: opened a second Paypal account from Thailand, tied to my Thai bank card, with my Thai address and an email different from the one used for the US account.

When I order something and get to the Paypal page, I choose which account to use by inserting the appropriate email address on the login page. Works like a charm.

One caution: if ordering from eBay and using the Thai Paypal, the Paypal page defaults to Thai language and cannot be changed. Paypal says it is a known issue, and they are working on it.

Edited by WaywardWind

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One caution: if ordering from eBay and using the Thai Paypal, the Paypal page defaults to Thai language and cannot be changed. Paypal says it is a known issue, and they are working on it.

Actually it can be changed - the problem is the link to change it is in Thai, so it's not obvious if you can't read Thai. I reported this bug to both Ebay and Paypal long ago.

When you get to the Paypal page in Thai, click the link in the top right corner, then a small list drops down with English as an option. See screenshot below.

post-1539-0-63794900-1395453792_thumb.pn

• 2 weeks later...

Got the new frames today. This time they were sent directly from China to here, not through US like first time. These frames fit much better. I liked the apparent quality of the first frames better, but according to a lot of feedback on Zenni's website the first ones were prone to break at the nose. The quality seems ok though. The lenses are better, but I still feel the reading area is too low. I have to read through the part immediately over the bottom edge of the glasses for the best result. The focus are is also very narrow - only about 10-15 cm wide at normal reading distance. This means if I'd be reading a newspaper I'd have to sit with my head tilted back, moving it left to right as I read to be able to stay in the focal area. I hear it takes some getting used to progressive lenses, so perhaps it's just me, perhaps after a while I'd get used to them. My old standard reading glasses feel so much more comfortable for reading, and I don't actually need corrective lenses for the distance.

So what's the verdict? Well you can't beat the price, $60 (2,000 baht) all in, memory titanium frames, 1.57 index progressive lenses with AI coating + polarized clip-on sunglasses and shipping. But it took time and patience going through everything. Would I do it again? I am not sure I will get used to progressive lenses, but I sure would pick this option over paying several times this price for the same from a shop.

Got the new frames today. This time they were sent directly from China to here, not through US like first time. These frames fit much better. I liked the apparent quality of the first frames better, but according to a lot of feedback on Zenni's website the first ones were prone to break at the nose. The quality seems ok though. The lenses are better, but I still feel the reading area is too low. I have to read through the part immediately over the bottom edge of the glasses for the best result. The focus are is also very narrow - only about 10-15 cm wide at normal reading distance. This means if I'd be reading a newspaper I'd have to sit with my head tilted back, moving it left to right as I read to be able to stay in the focal area. I hear it takes some getting used to progressive lenses, so perhaps it's just me, perhaps after a while I'd get used to them. My old standard reading glasses feel so much more comfortable for reading, and I don't actually need corrective lenses for the distance.

So what's the verdict? Well you can't beat the price, $60 (2,000 baht) all in, memory titanium frames, 1.57 index progressive lenses with AI coating + polarized clip-on sunglasses and shipping. But it took time and patience going through everything. Would I do it again? I am not sure I will get used to progressive lenses, but I sure would pick this option over paying several times this price for the same from a shop.

Hi Phil,

Interesting information.

Query: with the direct shipping from China, how long from ordering to receipt?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Would be nice if you'd update this thread with your own experience once you've got the glasses!

Will do!

I said I would report back, so here I am.

I first went to Pattaya Optical (hat tip to JingThing) on Pattaya Klang just east of the Second road junction with the intention of getting a solid prescription and then visiting Zenni online. My wife needed a prescription as well, so went both had ours eyes examined.

While speaking with the owner, I learned that I could have the lenses in my existing frames replaced for 2500 THB per pair (one clear and one sunglasses) and have them in 2 days. I did the math comparison in my head and since I am perfectly happy with the frames I already have, I went that route and both pairs of glasses are just fine. Zenni would have been a smidgen cheaper, and used new frames, but this way eliminated both the wait time and the uncertainty about the glasses until I actually received them.

My wife did the same, although she wanted a new frame for her reading glasses; she chose a frame that cost 3000 THB, so her cost was 5500 THB in all, and again two days was the timeline.

I am hoping that these will be the last glasses I'll ever buy: my cataracts continue onward, and I suspect that I will be visiting Rutnin in the next year or so to have them removed and end a 40 year history of wearing glasses and contacts.

Just my 2 satang worth opinion.

There is narrow focus and wide focus progressive lenses, yours are obvious narrow focus, which are a different animal from the Hoya lenses that are sold here and have nothing to do with getting used to it. You will have to move your head from left to right for reading as long as you wear these glasses.

1.57 Index is a mid index, and even not polycarbonate material, which is again completely different from the 1.61 High index lenses that are commonly sold in Pattaya optical shops.The lower the index number the thicker the lens and the more prone to breaking they are.

So that together with all the other disadvantages you experienced, especially the low reading area and hassle of sending the back, isn't worth the savings to me.

While speaking with the owner, I learned that I could have the lenses in my existing frames replaced for 2500 THB per pair (one clear and one sunglasses) and have them in 2 days. I did the math comparison in my head and since I am perfectly happy with the frames I already have, I went that route and both pairs of glasses are just fine. Zenni would have been a smidgen cheaper, and used new frames, but this way eliminated both the wait time and the uncertainty about the glasses until I actually received them.

My wife did the same, although she wanted a new frame for her reading glasses; she chose a frame that cost 3000 THB, so her cost was 5500 THB in all, and again two days was the timeline.

The guy I use in Tukcom replaced the lenses in my reading glasses for 600 baht, same day. (just standard, not progressive).

There is narrow focus and wide focus progressive lenses, yours are obvious narrow focus, which are a different animal from the Hoya lenses that are sold here and have nothing to do with getting used to it. You will have to move your head from left to right for reading as long as you wear these glasses.

1.57 Index is a mid index, and even not polycarbonate material, which is again completely different from the 1.61 High index lenses that are commonly sold in Pattaya optical shops.The lower the index number the thicker the lens and the more prone to breaking they are.

So that together with all the other disadvantages you experienced, especially the low reading area and hassle of sending the back, isn't worth the savings to me.

Interesting about narrow and wide focus progressive lenses, I never heard about that before. I had a quick look in Google but couldn't find any more information about it?

For my +0.25 glasses (+2.00 for reading) glasses the index would not have made any noticable difference but for another $18 (600 baht) I could have upgraded from the 1.57 to 1.59 polycarbonate lenses if I thought it important.

But yes, like I already said, it's not for everyone, but you can't beat the price.

The guy I use in Tukcom replaced the lenses in my reading glasses for 600 baht, same day. (just standard, not progressive).

He did have cheaper lenses and offered them, 1700 THB and one other even cheaper but I don't recall the exact number, and explained the differences, but I opted for the 2500 THB ones. None were as low as 600 THB.

One thing that interested my wife was the wide range of frames for reading glasses - he had likely a hundred or more different frames on the wall, and she found several which she liked, finally settling on a pair from Rosenstock.

• 5 months later...

Well it's still ongoing. I returned the glasses and waited forever on their confirmation that they received it. They said to send it by standard mail, and then came back asking for a tracking number. I think if for any reason it hadn't arrived they would just say it was my fault, but in the end it arrived. They kept insisting the glasses were perfect and it was all my own fault, but they issued me a store credit for the amount. I haven't gotten around to order a new pair yet. I will, sometime when I have time. Not really recommendable unless you have plenty of time and are the patient type.

In the meantime I went back to the guy with the stall in Tukcom (ground floor, in the back). I've mentioned him before. An unusually friendly Thai guy. He made me a pair of reading glasses, memory-titanium frames and +1.75 acrylic glasses 1.61 index with AR coating, 1,200 baht all included. He even delivered them to my house when they were ready. Highly recommendable. (Yes, I know you can buy the pre-made reading glasses on all corners, but there is an abysmal quality difference).

I am going to check this guy out.

Is he still there?

Stalls come and go, anyone else try him recently?

That is the ground/first floor and not the basement with the food court correct?

BTW can/does he do repairs?

Thanks again.

Edited by infinity11

• 8 months later...

I read somewhere on Thaivisa about a Thai guy at a market on Soi Nermplubwan. All the way to the upper end at the Wat, market on the left.

The guy will fit you then and there if you are looking for straightforward simple glasses (spectacles), like 500 baht. I need for distance only.

Went there today and was told by another vendor that he comes on Tuesday and Saturday. Just a friendly FYI.