Riding Legit

AJ Alex

I currently live in a small town and have no worries as to riding illegally

I am moving to Chiang Mai soon and I would like to know what I should do to make sure that if the police stop me I will not have to pay a fine etc...

I have a provisional licence from the UK (i never took my test)

I have not took a test in Thailand

I'm also considering getting a new bike

will the engine size be an issue and how can I insure that I am riding legally.

Thanks

I was planning on doing the test soon

What preparation should I do?

I have a click currently

Can i do the test on that and then get a 250cc afterwards?

Thanks

As long as you have a license you can drive what cc bike you like, they don't care!! You can even drive a very powerful bike without a license because they don't care, if you are a responsible person you will do the right thing and drive legally!!

I thought the police fined people who have no licence

There must be some disadvantage to not doing the test otherwise no one would do it

I would prefer to have it as every time i go pass the cops I panic

What are the advantages of doing the test as i'm guessing its about as thorougher as everything else here

I thought the police fined people who have no licence

There must be some disadvantage to not doing the test otherwise no one would do it

I would prefer to have it as every time i go pass the cops I panic

What are the advantages of doing the test as i'm guessing its about as thorougher as everything else here

If you get into an accident your insurance wont pay out.

The cops will fine you but that is about all they do.

Go to the traffic dept. in Chiang Mai - Hang Dong Road just before Big C - and make a driving license. They might accept your provisional UK license or not, if not you'll have to take more tests. They speak english and are very friendly and professional.

It'll take you half the day so get there early morning.

You need a medical check up which you can get at any hospital. I did mine on Hang Dong road in a little hospital just past Tesco Lotus; went in, said "driving license", and was out again literally 5 minutes and 100 baht later. Thai convenience!

Other than that I think just the passport and whatever existing licenses you have. Motorbike and car are two different licenses, might as well do both. You don't need to prepare for the test just go and pay attention in the training class. It's mandatory anyway for people who need to do the test. They have training material in English.

I am moving to Chiang Mai soon and I would like to know what I should do to make sure that if the police stop me I will not have to pay a fine etc..

The BIB can make up any excuse to ask for money. Speeding, riding in the right hand lane, loud pipes, tinted visor, riding as a westerner....the list is endless. Its a little harder in a smaller city like Chiang Mai but here in Bkk we just don't stop for them.

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 1