Officials demand changes to Beach Road construction after motorbike accidents

Rimmer

Officials demand changes to Beach Road construction after motorbike accidents
PATTAYA:--Pattaya officials have ordered partially completed speed bumps / wheelchair paths across Beach Road demolished and rebuilt after their design was blamed for two more motorbike accidents last week.

The paths, 20cm high and seven meters wide, were designed to provide easy access across the busy road for wheelchairs, as well as control traffic speeds. However, after two more accidents were blamed on construction of the ramps, Pattaya officials ordered the paths to be lowered and widened.

The accidents, however, appeared to have more to do with speeding and drunk driving than any design flaw.

Cyclist Akorn Aaworn struck a well-marked construction area around 4 a.m. Dec. 21 while riding an unlicensed Honda motorbike. He suffered cuts the face and his helmet was found two meters from the body.
- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/officials-demand-changes-to-beach-road-construction-after-motorbike-accidents-33428#sthash.pwO5afwG.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2013-12-28 footer_n.gif

Sanit Inkhunthot, 25, of Srakaew flew off his Honda motorbike after hitting another construction site, also suffering face wounds.The victim blamed city hall for allowing construction that posed dangers to motorcyclists ""speeding drunkenly"" through town in the middle of the night.

So who is to blame here ??

The speeding drunkard ? or city hall for constructing unsafe speed-ramps ? A tricky 1 to answer.

There's no way in hell that any sort of wheelchair can navigate the pavement on the eastern side of Beach Road, so why do they want a raised platform to allow a wheelchair to cross the road anyway?

And secondly, one would assume it would be simpler and more cost effective to remove the curb in multiple places along the western side of the road to allow wheelchairs etc to mount the pavement/promenade from the road.

Or am I thinking "too mutt"? blink.png

There's no way in hell that any sort of wheelchair can navigate the pavement on the eastern side of Beach Road, so why do they want a raised platform to allow a wheelchair to cross the road anyway?

And secondly, one would assume it would be simpler and more cost effective to remove the curb in multiple places along the western side of the road to allow wheelchairs etc to mount the pavement/promenade from the road.

Or am I thinking "too mutt"? 20x20xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.wBkwYuU0d7. width=20 alt=blink.png pagespeed_url_hash=3007605675>

Beggars belief they appear concerned about people using wheel chairs, yet for able-bodied pedestrians there's absolutely no concern.

Example, Walking Street end of Beach Rd. Pedestrians have to walk inline with traffic with very little lea-way.

If thai police do their job we don't need speed bumps anywhere. And I don't mean that the police has to check farang's driving licenses...

If they would start doing their job, where is the money in that!?

These speed bumps were not a very bright idea. First they build a hiway, then put speed bumps on it. Very Thai!

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If thai police do their job we don't need speed bumps anywhere. And I don't mean that the police has to check farang's driving licenses...

If they would start doing their job, where is the money in that!?

These speed bumps were not a very bright idea. First they build a hiway, then put speed bumps on it. Very Thai!

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think they are are a good idea, hundreds of tourists try to cross that highway to get to the beach every day, putting a three lane highway with no pedestrian crossings in a place where people need to cross is pretty stupid, anything that will slow the traffic is a good idea

• Like 2

The "Speed Humps" are a great idea......

It is the "speeders" who are at fault......if they are travelling too fast to see them and they "come a cropper" that is their fault....

Admittedly there needs to be well illuminated signs warning of them.....and the humps need illuminating as well....

This is a "too soon" reaction by the authorities........sure there will be accidents to the "fools" initially.....but they are there to "slow" these people down

As for the complaints about them being used for the unfortunate wheelchair people.....they have enough of a "burden" to carry in their lives.....so why not try to make life a little bit easier for them......

And why shouldn't they be welcome on the beach promenade?..........to say they are not is selfish.....ok, so the walkways have not been good in the past, but that is being upgraded as we speak

As mentioned on here many times.....sadly it is the "policing" which is lacking here.....that is where this needs to be addressed

Rant Over wink.png

Edited by DD13
  • Like 1

Policing would only work if there was a cop stationed at every soin coming off of beach rd as there are so many entry points how could the police stop everyone at every point.

I also don't believe that speed bumps will do any good. It is difficult enough to navigate your way down beach rd anyways with all the baht busses, tour buses, people crossing the road etc. This is why I try to avoid this rd on my bike. It's not like you are taking the "scenic" route on a bike because you can't take your eyes off the rd and traffic for even one split second anyways.

I would prefer to see 2nd rd made into a two-way street and not allow baht buses or tour buses along beach rd. That might make it a decent place to cruise down.

The answer to the policing problem is "simple"......

Traffic Cameras at each hump

Yes I know that this country doesn't appear to have the desire to use these.......and use them properly....but if they ever do "wake-up" to the revenue which these generate.....perhaps they "will" adopt them.....

And for all those people who hate them.......and jump on me for this......they are only to be hated if you are an offender.....sure sometimes we "all" make an occasional genuine mistake, but we have to accept the consequences if we do