Don't live in Thailand , Mortgage ?

My wife and I live in Saudi Arabia . We have been talking about buying a house when we next go back to Thailand for a holiday . Is it possible for us to get a mortgage even though we don't live there ? If so , what kind of down payment would we have to make in the beginning ?

You will get an expert's answer for your question from a real estate agency giving them some info like your age, your source of income and amount, kind of property you are looking for, and how much cash you are willing to pay for down payment....If you cannot qualify for a bank loan, you may do it from a developer...If you prefer to work with a "foreign" company....look for REMAX THAILAND

Living in Hong Kong I had two choices for a mortgage, Bangkok Bank would lend 50% and UOB would lend 60%.The loan is in US$ and they transfer into Baht and wire to BKK on completion.

Both have high interest rates and high charges. I was asking for a loan for a condo, not a house if that makes any difference.

UOB was an absolute nightmare to deal with. Kept asking for documents they had already received etc etc. After six months of dealing with them I gave up.

In the end I was advised to open an expat premier account with HSBC Jersey and a loan was arranged in principle withing six weeks.

You will get an expert's answer for your question from a real estate agency giving them some info like your age, your source of income and amount, kind of property you are looking for, and how much cash you are willing to pay for down payment....If you cannot qualify for a bank loan, you may do it from a developer...If you prefer to work with a "foreign" company....look for REMAX THAILAND

Age 36 , income about 150,000 a month . I was looking to pay about 500,000 as a down payment on a 1-2 million house . Have to see what they say I guess when we go . If we can't , then maybe save for a few years and buy cash.

It might be possible for you to get a mortgage (not sure the wife needs a income). Try SCB. They were helpful when my wife (Thai) and I posed the question to them this past summer. They would allow us to combine our incomes on the application. (We both live and work in the USA) We didn't ask any questions about the terms or down payment requirements. If I'm remembering correctly, in order to take out a loan for 3 million baht; they wanted us to be making 60,000 baht per month.