Thaksin's nephew to stand in Thai polls

Lite Beer

What's the problem?

The voters will have choices, up to 53 in some cases. Why not let them choose?

In my wife's village, in Issan, they know who you voted for and intimidate you if you didn't vote for PTP. Hardly democratic. Bags of money are brought in and votes are bought. Money is promised to village headmen if PTP gets elected, and in the past, was delivered. The rumor recently in her village was 1 million bath to every village if Thaksin came back. People got very excited.

Now you know one reason why Bangkok people are not happy. Their tax rates are very high and they see their hard earned money going to support massively corrupt projects in the northeast.

The election system is broken and massively corrupt. Reform is desperately needed.

I dont agree even though we live in a red village in a red area. Their is terrible intimidation and all you argue I see around us all the time but their is no way anyone knows how someone voted. Sure they think they know but I've been to voting places and their is no mark on ballet paper that can possibly link a vote with person making that vote. However none of people around us believe this and all believe they know somehow so I guess if they believe it for them its true. The head of village certainly tells all how they should vote and has for al ing time received 1 million baht for village work. I believe it was raised to 2 million by this new Taksin regime. Of course that obey is then used to but influence and ensure feudal system continues. Its carefully sone as loans to people who are in favour but theirs a large kickback under the table and any project of course results in a large part going into head of village pocket and then up the chain.

Those who support Taksin here and red shirts simply are naive brainwashed or have never witnessed or lived in these areas as we have. Its crept up slowly over last 15 years or so until Taksin and his clan control all an d everything and no one would dare oppose. If Taksin wins this time we will have to leave after 30 years here but its getting unliveable with. I doubt well get much or anything of our 30 million or so baht investment in the village over last 30 years including our small business's which will be closed. At least our 2 children have nearly finished their education and we have kept a bit in UK if need be so will survive. If Taksin wins well simply board up workshops and house and close the farm hoping we can return one day.

This is a fight to finish and will determine weather Thailand becomes a one party one man dictatorship or has a chance of something better. IT will not end without sadly a lot of pain and probably a lot of blood. If Taksin has not bought off Army then they will thank goodness take over. The next few weeks and months will show the outcome.

• Like 1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's the flaw with democracy: this particular constituency has had the following recent representatives:

present candidate: Yaowapa Shinawatra's son, outgoing MP: Yaowapa Shinawatra, previous MP: Yaowapa's driver, MP before that (disqualified for cheating): Yaowapa's daughter.

So, let the people decide but strangely you could even put Yaowapa's pet dog up as a candidate and the 'majority' will vote for it.

Can't PT see the counter-productive logic here?

Ah yes, I had forgotten in earlier posts to include the info about Yaowapa's chauffeur being made MP after her daughter was caught out lying on legal documents and was barred.

The height of ridiculousness.

The Shinawatras and their chauffeurs.

If they don't have billions in stock shares, they are made Members of Parliament.

Edited by Maha Sarakham Marty

I dont agree even though we live in a red village in a red area. Their is terrible intimidation and all you argue I see around us all the time but their is no way anyone knows how someone voted. Sure they think they know but I've been to voting places and their is no mark on ballet paper that can possibly link a vote with person making that vote. However none of people around us believe this and all believe they know somehow so I guess if they believe it for them its true. The head of village certainly tells all how they should vote and has for al ing time received 1 million baht for village work. I believe it was raised to 2 million by this new Taksin regime. Of course that obey is then used to but influence and ensure feudal system continues. Its carefully sone as loans to people who are in favour but theirs a large kickback under the table and any project of course results in a large part going into head of village pocket and then up the chain.

Those who support Taksin here and red shirts simply are naive brainwashed or have never witnessed or lived in these areas as we have. Its crept up slowly over last 15 years or so until Taksin and his clan control all an d everything and no one would dare oppose. If Taksin wins this time we will have to leave after 30 years here but its getting unliveable with. I doubt well get much or anything of our 30 million or so baht investment in the village over last 30 years including our small business's which will be closed. At least our 2 children have nearly finished their education and we have kept a bit in UK if need be so will survive. If Taksin wins well simply board up workshops and house and close the farm hoping we can return one day.

This is a fight to finish and will determine weather Thailand becomes a one party one man dictatorship or has a chance of something better. IT will not end without sadly a lot of pain and probably a lot of blood. If Taksin has not bought off Army then they will thank goodness take over. The next few weeks and months will show the outcome.

You are probably right. I don't see how they could know who you vote for. It's just a blank piece of paper. Probably for the local elections, but tend to agree with you that for the national elections, it'd be hard for them to know.

I was told of guys walking into the village with bags of money. A big bag was given to the village headman to gets votes for a particular party. Guess what? That party didn't get many votes! He was quite afraid of what was going to happen to him for not delivering the votes. But nothing ever did. My wife's mother always takes whatever money she can get, and then votes the way she wants to.

How odd, that no one mentioned the ascent of the former PM Abhisit.

Why does Abhisit get a pass? His father served the former military dictatorship in a cabinet position. His son was parachuted into politics. Abhisit never worked a day in his life in the private sector and avoided full military service and yet not a mention.

Trust you to bring Abhisit into it.

haven't you got any comment on this thread ???? So his father served in the cabinet, his son ???? We all are talking about the Thaksin CLAN, not about someone you dislike. Want to drag someone else into the limelight for a distraction ???

The reason I gave the example of Abhisit should be obvious. You and others are wailing as if this is a solely a Thaksin issue, as if only the Shinawatra family has political activity.

Your hero Abhisit, is no different. The same can be said about several other political families. Even good old Suthep, the grand master of the Democrat party comes from a political family.

So basically, what's your point? If a Thaksin relative is involved it is bad, but if any one else is involved it is good?

Why does Abhisit get a pass? His father served the former military dictatorship in a cabinet position. His son was parachuted into politics. Abhisit never worked a day in his life in the private sector and avoided full military service and yet not a mention.

haven't you got any comment on this thread ???? So his father served in the cabinet, his son ???? We all are talking about the Thaksin CLAN, not about someone you dislike. Want to drag someone else into the limelight for a distraction ???

The reason I gave the example of Abhisit should be obvious. You and others are wailing as if this is a solely a Thaksin issue, as if only the Shinawatra family has political activity.

Your hero Abhisit, is no different. The same can be said about several other political families. Even good old Suthep, the grand master of the Democrat party comes from a political family.

So basically, what's your point? If a Thaksin relative is involved it is bad, but if any one else is involved it is good?

I would have thought Ginjag's point may have something to do with the fact that the country is in meltdown and one of the key issues is nepotism in Thai politics and this happens.

With the de facto PM, the official PM, the DM and the FM already from the same family and other members involved in the ruling party surely the last thing we need is yet another family member jumping aboard.

Thank goodness Pipe is too young and Oak is too stupid or there'd be even more.

• Like 2

You have a thing about Abhisit not me. It isn't so much the 1 relative, we are talking about extended family--it is sick to hog and control in this fashion -to me it is not healthy trying to gain further family wealth and lining pockets of yes sir men.

Abhisit is not my hero but no matter what you think He is far more decent a man, and tripe seldom froths out of his mouth like it does YOUR hero.

I would honestly love to post here and appraise this government but find little or nothing to cheer about. That does not mean I am in love with the opposition, the fact is I am in love with anything DECENT that could replace this lot in power..

Edited by ginjag
  • Like 2

You have a thing about Abhisit not me. It isn't so much the 1 relative, we are talking about extended family--it is sick to hog and control in this fashion -to me it is not healthy trying to gain further family wealth and lining pockets of yes sir men.

Abhisit is not my hero but no matter what you think He is far more decent a man, and tripe seldom froths out of his mouth like it does YOUR hero.

I would honestly love to post here and appraise this government but find little or nothing to cheer about. That does not mean I am in love with the opposition, the fact is I am in love with anything DECENT that could replace this lot in power..

Agree. I love my cats and they could do a better job than most of the political hogs here. thumbsup.gif

Agree. I love my cats and they could do a better job than most of the political hogs here. thumbsup.gif

I have 2 house cats, the most clean living and loveable, more so than this rabble.thumbsup.gif