CNN, BBC all English news really love Thaksin and hate Abhisit

farang000999

Those are things any government can contract out. I meant contracting out the function of government as China did with Hong Kong. Seeing how the Thai government has done since the 1930's is basically an exorcise on missed chances and corruption. I'd give up if I were you. 100 years of failure is enough. Hire someone who can run a state around here like Singapore. Contract out the Parliament, PM and cops and Army. Be realistic. Thailand is a wonderful country with a lousy government.

That's why I said Thailand should embrace libertarianism.

Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the First Opium War (1839–42). The Hong Kong Island was first ceded to the UK in perpetuity, followed by Kowloon Peninsula in 1860 and then the New Territories was put under lease in 1898. It was occupied by Japan during the Pacific War (1941–45), after which the British resumed control until 1997, when China resumed sovereignty.

Singapore is a small island with very limited natural resources. It's smaller than Phuket. You can run things around your way very easily. Turning Thailand into singapore is not very realistic.

Are you suggesting we should let Thailand be colonized by foreign nation? Which nation would be your best candidate, if you don't mind telling me?

Edited by txp158

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are things any government can contract out. I meant contracting out the function of government as China did with Hong Kong. Seeing how the Thai government has done since the 1930's is basically an exorcise on missed chances and corruption. I'd give up if I were you. 100 years of failure is enough. Hire someone who can run a state around here like Singapore. Contract out the Parliament, PM and cops and Army. Be realistic. Thailand is a wonderful country with a lousy government.

Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the First Opium War (1839–42). The Hong Kong Island was first ceded to the UK in perpetuity, followed by Kowloon Peninsula in 1860 and then the New Territories was put under lease in 1898. It was occupied by Japan during the Pacific War (1941–45), after which the British resumed control until 1997, when China resumed sovereignty.

Singapore is a small island with very limited natural resources. It's smaller than Phuket. You can run things around your way very easily. Turning Thailand into singapore is not very realistic.

Are you suggesting we should let Thailand be colonized by foreign nation? Which nation would be your best candidate, if you don't mind telling me?

Thailand I think Thailand is smaller in size and population and GNP than California (maybe someone can check) and Arnold Schwarzenegger ran California. How hard could it be?

Thailand I think Thailand is smaller in size and population and GNP than California (maybe someone can check) and Arnold Schwarzenegger ran California. How hard could it be?

Most governors in Thai districts or provinces are appointed but not elected, excluding Bangkok and Pattaya. Strangely enough, I have not yet seen you moaning about it. Where is your democrazy now?

Thailand in terms of land mass (198,115 sq mi) is slightly larger to that of the state of California (163,696 sq mi). The population of Thailand is 67 millions while california holds 38 millions.

The problem those protesters at democratic monument are concerning is mainly related to legislative, not executive. You will never see anyone govern this country in a just democratic way, until legislative branch has been dealt with. That's why we need this reform before there is an election.

Btw Which nation would be your best candidate to colonize Thailand, if you don't mind telling me?

Edited by txp158
  • Like 1

"CNN, BBC all English news really love Thaksin and hate Abhisit"

And.....?

Oh, you wonder why (if it's even true. I haven't noticed it).

All of the above news agencies simply reflect the mindset and bow to the demands of it's readership/listernership.

If it's true that "they" all love Thaksin and hate Abhisit, maybe it's because WE like democracy (a party simply calling itself "Democrat" doesn't quite fulfill that criteria - please take note oh England-born and Oxford-educated one, Khun Abhisit).

We don't like despots and/or autocracies.

Our news stations reflect us, or they die through lack of patronage.

Freedom = one man one vote and no-one's vote should carry more weight than any other vote.

Suthep seems to think he's a one-man walking trade union with a block-vote greater than 50% of the rest of the populace.

Someone should lock him up, for his own sake.

And soon.

I do not get involved with politics, or discussing politics, when I am in Thailand.

Because, well, how stupid can I be to do that?

No, if I want to get involved with politics, and telling other people what to do,

Then I will return to my home country, America,

And tell them how GD FkdUp they are,

Compared to Thailand and some other countries in Asia.

I would like to change America,

But I do not care to change Thailand,

I am a guest here,

And even if I were not,

I am enjoying the way Thailand is, so much so that I don't have time to change what I already like.

And this after already being here for almost one year.

• Like 1

I do not get involved with politics, or discussing politics, when I am in Thailand.

No, if I want to get involved with politics, and telling other people what to do,

I am a guest here,

And even if I were not,

I am enjoying the way Thailand is, so much so that I don't have time to change what I already like.

He who breaks something to discover what it is has left the path of wisdom.

Good philosophy. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Most governors in Thai districts or provinces are appointed but not elected, excluding Bangkok and Pattaya. Strangely enough, I have not yet seen you moaning about it. Where is your democrazy now?

Thailand in terms of land mass (198,115 sq mi) is slightly larger to that of the state of California (163,696 sq mi). The population of Thailand is 67 millions while california holds 38 millions.

The problem those protesters at democratic monument are concerning is mainly related to legislative, not executive. You will never see anyone govern this country in a just democratic way, until legislative branch has been dealt with. That's why we need this reform before there is an election.

Btw Which nation would be your best candidate to colonize Thailand, if you don't mind telling me?

Thailand is actually more like a city in California rather than a country in terms of GDP Thailand is 360 US billions and California 1.8 trillion or something like that. I was not suggesting colonization. You need some outside help. Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger is not a native American. The last time I flew into Canada all of the airport security were Sikhs. I would contract the government out to Singapore to manage not colonize. A Frenchman for minister of restaurants. Disneyland to manage Pattaya. Bloomberg is available now maybe he could be Mayor of Bangkok. A Swiss guy could be the minister of education.

Get a bit less parochial. Thais have not really demonstrated excellence in many areas. Keep the Brits and Americans out of the banking sector and you'd do OK.

They're not on the side of Thaksin or Abhisit

They're on the side of democracy.

Like it or not, the Thai people voted for the current shower.

So what if it was on the back of populist policies? Populist policies aren't illegal, are they?

What government hasn't promised the earth to win a freakin' election?

Listen I have meet my Farangs from England and one like their own Government in Power in England so why would they like any Government in the World

Thailand is actually more like a city in California rather than a country in terms of GDP Thailand is 360 US billions and California 1.8 trillion or something like that. I was not suggesting colonization. You need some outside help. Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger is not a native American. The last time I flew into Canada all of the airport security were Sikhs. I would contract the government out to Singapore to manage not colonize. A Frenchman for minister of restaurants. Disneyland to manage Pattaya. Bloomberg is available now maybe he could be Mayor of Bangkok. A Swiss guy could be the minister of education.

Get a bit less parochial. Thais have not really demonstrated excellence in many areas. Keep the Brits and Americans out of the banking sector and you'd do OK.

You are hoping like many Thais that we need someone with enough knowledge, experience with good morality to operate this country. The man that you think is in Singapore is the same man, Adam Smith talks about in his books. That man is called the man of system. I have too limited knowledge to argue with you regarding the pro and con of central planning. I suggest you listen to what the man in video I'm about to show you, has to say and then maybe try to reflex your thought on video about what should really be done.

You are hoping like many Thais that we need someone with enough knowledge, experience with good morality to operate this country. The man that you think is in Singapore is the same man, Adam Smith talks about in his books. That man is called the man of system. I have too limited knowledge to argue with you regarding the pro and con of central planning. I suggest you listen to what the man in video I'm about to show you, has to say and then maybe try to reflex your thought on video about what should really be done.

You said, I said, "You are hoping like many Thais that we need someone with enough knowledge, experience with good morality to operate this country."

I didn't say that at all. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Thailand is a little country with a small number of people and a GNP less than many States and cities in the USA. It is not rocket science. It is not a hard job. Even Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger did it and he had twice the money problems to deal with. NYC has a GDP 4 times that of Thailand and Bloomberg did just fine and is unemployed right now.

You seem to think the successful management of Thailand is a difficult job. There are 100 people in the USA today that manage larger amounts of money and property and people.

You write a job description and give the guy or girl some objectives and evaluate him once a year on progress. It is not rocket science. You can either hire a rich guy or pay a poor guy enough so he doesn't have to steal. Lee Kuan Yew, famously said, “If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys,"

Edited by thailiketoo

You said, I said, "You are hoping like many Thais that we need someone with enough knowledge, experience with good morality to operate this country."

I didn't say that at all. You are making a mountain out of a molehill. Thailand is a little country with a small number of people and a GNP less than many States and cities in the USA. It is not rocket science. It is not a hard job. Even Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger did it and he had twice the money problems to deal with. NYC has a GDP 4 times that of Thailand and Bloomberg did just fine and is unemployed right now.

You seem to think the successful management of Thailand is a difficult job. There are 100 people in the USA today that manage larger amounts of money and property and people.

You write a job description and give the guy or girl some objectives and evaluate him once a year on progress. It is not rocket science. You can either hire a rich guy or pay a poor guy enough so he doesn't have to steal. Lee Kuan Yew, famously said, “If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys,"

GNP is irrelevant for comparing countries.

GDP is better, but only in countries where the cost of labor is more or less the same, because GDP takes into account "services", yet the price for many same services is much cheaper in Thailand than in the US. NYC's GDP is like a big ballon of hot air because of the cost of services.

I'd guess economic power of Thailand to be equivalent of NYC or of California.

Although he has promised many benefits Thailand would received under the ′People′s Council′, such as the eradication of corruption and evil politicians, Mr. Suthep has never explained in-depth details of the council, other than insisting that it would be composed of "moral" people.

Mr. Suthep likewise did not name any potential candidate for the People′s Council, but said its members would not be registered to any political party.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688660-establish-peoples-council-or-no-election-suthep/

Perhaps you could provide some link to answer who, what, where and when of the Peoples Council?

Because if it is not in print it didn't happen.

If you ask me, I like Thailand to go libertarian. That'll definitely end corruption. As for the people's council, I don't know who they will be. But at least, it's better than what we have now. If you don't believe me, why don't you check the biography of each MP and ministry of for Thai party?

Why don't you tell me what we should do? Have another fake election and allow sadam and hitler-like people to rule the country and hope for the best?

When you wanted a new airport you hired someone to design and build it from outside of Thailand. Siemens supplies the Skytrain. Government is too complicated for Thai people. You need to farm it out to Singapore. They will do a better job for a fraction of the price without corruption.

Have you lived in Singapore? I have, and no way the Thais would accept a government like they have.

Not for nothing do they say that Singapore has no soul. Certainly no sanuk.

GDP is better, but only in countries where the cost of labor is more or less the same, because GDP takes into account "services", yet the price for many same services is much cheaper in Thailand than in the US. NYC's GDP is like a big ballon of hot air because of the cost of services.

OK GDP per capita California $51,144. GDP per capita Thailand $5,473. Does that seem equivalent to you?

Or take any other measure you want of economic performance.

Bangkok GDP ($BN) 262.4. NYC ($BN)1,358.4.

I think what you meant to say is Thailand is equivalent economically to NYC or California in my dreams but not in any financial measurement that I or anyone else can find.

OK GDP per capita California $51,144. GDP per capita Thailand $5,473. Does that seem equivalent to you?

I think what you meant to say is Thailand is equivalent economically to NYC or California in my dreams but not in any financial measurement that I or anyone else can find.

I didn't compare the per capita figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

California: 1735 Billion

Thailand: 345 Billion

But then you have to consider the services.

Basically, the work produced by a cook preparing a meal in Bangkok and in California is the same, but it could be priced 10 USD in Bangkok and 40 USD in California. The same happens with taxis, tailors, mail service, etc. so for comparing economic power, one has to somehow "adjust" the figures, or take figures that only take into account industrial production.

I didn't compare the per capita figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_between_U.S._states_and_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

California: 1735 Billion

Thailand: 345 Billion

But then you have to consider the services.

Basically, the work produced by a cook preparing a meal in Bangkok and in California is the same, but it could be priced 10 USD in Bangkok and 40 USD in California. The same happens with taxis, tailors, mail service, etc. so for comparing economic power, one has to somehow "adjust" the figures, or take figures that only take into account industrial production.

I realize this is your economic theory but for the rest of us please present one economic measuring device that adjusts the GDP based on cost of wages?

You also didn't mention the black market which is big in Thailand and small in NYC. Not really but I'm sure you think so.

My point was as we drift off into a pedantic non fact debate, my point was Thailand is about as difficult to manage as one small part of NYC. Say Brooklyn or the Bronx. No big deal. Why make a mountain out of a molehill. Thailand can't manage the country so hire a consultant to do so. I would look first at Singapore and then NYC for consultants. Stop this mucking about that really hasn't changed since the 1930's. Get in a pro who knows how to run things.

I am a guest here,

And even if I were not,

He who breaks something to discover what it is has left the path of wisdom.

Good philosophy. smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

This sounds a lot like Quantum Mechanics where the act of measuring destroys what one is measuring, or something like that.

So as you say, go with the flow,

Go with the photons of joy.

Let there be light.

And I would add to what you have said above:

Don't stay in Thailand unless you really appreciate how great it is,

Because otherwise you are not doing yourself much good,

And you are a bore to have around.

Abhisit is possibly the poshest Geordie I`ve ever heard laugh.png I remember years ago some in Thailand voiced concern about him being English but that never seems to surface anymore.

I didn`t see anything untoward in either of those interviews and Abhisit to his credit did well at defending the undefendable, and they let him do it. "Lets return power to the people" he says, quickly followed by refusing to participate in an election that lets the people choose! facepalm.gif

Hes clearly an incredibly intelligent guy, just such a pity hes every bit as tainted and corrupt as the current government, and under the thumb of his elite paymasters.

Before you get Arnold to work as a governor, he needs to be elected. Your argument is flawed because the people whom we like to take care of this country don't get elected in the first place. You might as well tell me to hire God. But if the man above doesn't get elected, he wouldn't be able to govern, would he?

You said "You write a job description and give the guy or girl some objectives and evaluate him once a year on progress. It is not rocket science".

Right but that's not how we choose the prime minister, is it? Be realistic. This ain't rocket science.

Edited by txp158

Thought you could have found some slightly older news stories to really crack on with that header, aside, sadly all English news is going to look for are words like democracy and election. As the day's pass they will add 30 seconds to a couple of minutes to each story and in that sense I think they can never show the true machinations of politics and struggle, not just in Thailand, but all over the world.

That's kinda what they do, they break stories.

Foreigners trying to make sense of the circus that is publicly visible politics in Thailand, and actually taking a side, expressing opinions etc really should find a more productive use of their time and energy.

No English-speaking country has a "real" democracy any more so than Thailand's, their corruption is just more subtle and system, big-money corporate interests run the show no matter what, minor tweaks like health-care issues are just window-dressing, bread and circuses. . .

The yellow elites happen to be more open to China as opposed to Western interests compared to the red elites, both camps are equally corrupt.

The Thais don't have any silly idealism of any possibility of a non-corrupt government that actually looks after the interests of the common people.

They realize that a politician's job, just like a policeman's, is to feather their own nest and take care of those in their mutual back-scratching network.

• Like 1

Before you get Arnold to work as a governor, he needs to be elected. Your argument is flawed because the people whom we like to take care of this country don't get elected in the first place. You might as well tell me to hire God. But if the man above doesn't get elected, he wouldn't be able to govern, would he?

You said "You write a job description and give the guy or girl some objectives and evaluate him once a year on progress. It is not rocket science".

Right but that's not how we choose the prime minister, is it? Be realistic. This ain't rocket science.

So how do you choose a PM? I thought the folks with the cash paid all the voters and that person was elected? I think that's what you said. Right?