• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ROAD ACCIDENTS
Road deaths, injuries higher in first three 'dangerous days' than a year ago

Wattana Khamchu
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A total of 1,322 road accidents on the first three of the "seven dangerous days" of the New Year holiday period claimed 161 lives and caused 1,390 injuries, the Road Safety Centre reported Monday.

As these three days were the time that people travelled upcountry and traffic jams were common, Nakhon Ratchasima, as the gateway to the Northeast, saw the highest accumulated numbers of deaths at 15, injuries at 62 and accidents at 51.

Across the board the accumulated figures were slightly higher than in the same three-day period last year, when 1,321 accidents killed 147 people and injured 1,361 others.

Only two provinces - Chaiyaphum and Samut Songkhram - were without road accidents.

Dr Amnuay Gajeena, deputy permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry, said there were 456 accidents this Sunday alone, killing 75 people and injuring 503 others. The highest proportion of accidents were caused by drunk driving at 39.47 per cent and speeding at 30.26 per cent.

Most accidents involved motorcycles, at 78.48 per cent. They mostly took place on a straight highway section (60.09 per cent) and occurred between 4pm and 8pm, while the victims were mostly from the working-age group (60.56 per cent).

At the 2,261 main checkpoints, manned by 65,009 officials, 100,181 people were charged with violating traffic laws, mostly for failing to show a driver's licence (30,479 cases) and riding motorbikes without helmets (27,762 cases), Amnuay said.

Now that most people have reached their destinations, such as their home towns or tourist attractions, and started their celebrations, officials have been instructed to set up checkpoints for drunk drivers, speeding motorists and motorcyclists without helmets, especially Monday and tomorrow, said Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-30

I often wonder if the proliferation of motorbikes is a form of population control.

I visited an Irish friend several times in a Chiang Mai public hospital twenty-five years ago. He'd had a motorcycle accident with his Thai friend driving, screws and pins in the leg, broken hip, months of traction, etc.

I remember being amazed at the sheer volume of dead, dying and (mostly) young men with broken and amputated limbs, severe head trauma and so on. There were whole floors of this hospital devoted to them, beds spilling out into the corridors, almost all motorcycle accidents.

It seems little has changed.

161 killed in “7 Dangerous Days” safety campaign

caraccident30-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Road accidents so far have claimed the lives of 161 people, and 1,390 injured in first three days of the 7-day campaign to lower fatalities from road mishaps.

According to the latest figures released by Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation, 161 persons were killed and 1,390 injured in road accidents recorded nationwide in the first three days of the “7-day Dangerous Day” campaign.

Nakhon Ratchasima topped the highest fatalities with 12 deaths.

Drunk driving is again blamed as the cause of most road accidents.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=161-killed-7-dangerous-days-safety-campaign

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2013-12-30

They're also missing a stat there.... # of Drivers that Fled the Scene after the accident.

Edited by bangarang
  • Like 1

Everyone seems to concentrate on the car/truck/bus deaths & accidents, but around 82% of the deaths/accidents involve motorcycles...probably drunk motorcycle drivers with no helmets zipping along a country road. I know for me here in western Bangkok I rarely see a serious vehicle accidents that obviously killed/hurt people...but I see plenty of minor to medium low speed rear end collisions because of the constant tailgating....I think most Thai's consider maintaining a couple of car length distances from the person in front of them as being a crime against humanity and they just don't do it. I still waiting for the day someone rear-ends my SUV...it's just a matter of time...came close many times already with people tailgating and not paying full attention.

I sure know when I'm driving around in the provinces on the back roads it's the land of motorcycles, no helmets, all age groups riding motorcycles with some of the age groups being young kids or really old folks...and I expect many have no license. And of course it's very common to see old motorcycles loaded down with a whole family of dad, mom, and a couple of kids...and of course none of them wearing helmets.

Since when did not wearing a helmet cause an accident?

Didn't read in the above that not wearing a helmet causes an accident. I assume the point was that the helmet law is routinely flouted and that the consequences of an unprotected head impacting the road or another vehicle are potentially catastrophic.

No, my point is, while it may offer some protection, wearing or not wearing has no cause towards an accident. The government / police should concentrate on the causes.

You just haven't been hit in the face or eye yet with an object doing 60+ kph. The helmet visor has no function?

"Police are urged to arrest those who drink and drive, drive at high speed, or ride motorcycles without a helmet."

How about charge people for not wearing seat belts or talking on the phone while driving.

Speed traps through villages wouldn't be a bad idea either; I've seen idiots going 80kph+ with toddlers sat inches away, just insane!

Most Thai's seem to think of the dead that it must have been their time! Simple minded tosh!!

"Reports say 37 per cent of road accidents resulted from drunk driving and 23 per cent from high-speed driving; while 81.5 per cent of road accidents involved motorcycles. Most of the motorcycle casualties were not wearing a helmet."

My solution #1: Confiscate any motorbike involved with law-breaking of any type or manner.

Problem #1: Where to store millions of motorbikes.

Problem #2: How to quell the violent rebellion that will ensue (making Suthep's current efforts look like child's play).

My solution #2: Mandatory multi-month jail sentences to any intoxicated vehicle operators.

Problem #1: Where to store millions of people.

Problem #2: See Solution #1, Problem #2

Many (most?) Thai people don't like rules (aka discipline).

Edited by MaxYakov

Didn't read in the above that not wearing a helmet causes an accident. I assume the point was that the helmet law is routinely flouted and that the consequences of an unprotected head impacting the road or another vehicle are potentially catastrophic.

No, my point is, while it may offer some protection, wearing or not wearing has no cause towards an accident. The government / police should concentrate on the causes.

You just haven't been hit in the face or eye yet with an object doing 60+ kph. The helmet visor has no function?

I was riding past a load of Thai trimming the grass on a verge outside a temple with electric strimmers when a stone was flung up and I rode into it with it hitting the top of the jaw section of my fullface helmet. With an open-face helmet I would now have no teeth, with the visor up I would have a nice scar from the broken nose I would have suffered, and possibly a lot more had the stone hitting my face at 100kph caused me to crash while trying to stop.

Small objects have surprising amounts of force when your body hits them at even 80kph.

• Like 2

it is really so much different than any other day?

they just pay attention to now and songkran ...

26.000 deaths a year, you dont get that in one week or one month

it is a consistent nr1 hit overhere

do they learn anything from it ?

well, look at the numbers, and i would say: i guess not ....

This figure of 26,000 is actually slightly high - according to the latest WHO report on world wide fatalities, Thailand has around 25,500 per annum - that equates to 69 per day average year round. So the figure of 161 fatalities in 3 days is actually below the daily norm for fatalities - now that is really frightening.

Edited by captainhornblower

Maybe because not wearing a seat does not cause accidents! If they concentrated on stopping the cause maybe people would respect them for it.

Oh yes it can cause an accident!

The driver will stay longer in control of the vehicle during an accident if he is belted up.

The article is frightening and sad of course. What is more frightening and sad are the crude, bigoted and hateful comments by some of the readers/posters.

From their comments, they appear to be the ultimate authority of all things Thai, experts of highway/road safety, accident statisticians, motorcycle repair technicians, soothsayers, inebriates, political science majors and know-all-see-all gurus. Some seem to be able to be able to discern the truth from a mere printed article, even though their knowledge and expertise about the subject is yet to be established.

I believe these hate-mongers represent a minority of readers. The silent majority,I would guess, may only shake their heads after reading some of the juvenile, hateful and speculative postings.

How do you come to the conclusion that anonymous critical posts are more frightening and sad than the OP road toll of deaths and injuries? Also roughly one in six vehicles checked required some reported action by the police against the owner/driver.

Re-read please. The answer is there.

I was riding past a load of Thai trimming the grass on a verge outside a temple with electric strimmers when a stone was flung up and I rode into it with it hitting the top of the jaw section of my fullface helmet. With an open-face helmet I would now have no teeth, with the visor up I would have a nice scar from the broken nose I would have suffered, and possibly a lot more had the stone hitting my face at 100kph caused me to crash while trying to stop.

Small objects have surprising amounts of force when your body hits them at even 80kph.

Yep, I should have mentioned general head protection afforded by the helmet. Some people know more about Buddhism (or think they do) than they do natural laws such as:

KE (kinetic energy) = MV2

And this ignorance or mis-education is not limited to Thais.

Edited by MaxYakov

To those who reside in this country, all you seem to do is condemn people who post articles you don't agreed with.

It seems that way. But, it is a free press which encourages debate and counter-points-of-view. The alternative is a state controlled press. Just a thought mind you. Not condemning anyone.

• Like 2

161 persons were killed and 1,390 injured in road accidents recorded nationwide in the first three days of the “7-day Dangerous Day” campaign

Compare that to the 5 killed and 400 injured during the past 30 days of protests in BKK!

Perspective anyone?

Even one single death is a very sad affair and so I am NOT trivializing the 5 deaths that have occurred during the protests,.. but the worst thing about the two sets of tragedy is that the 161 deaths (with more to come if statistics and averages apply) will be brushed off as non consequential casualties of a national annual event... viz a viz the New Year holiday road carnage!

Glad you made it okay.

161 persons were killed and 1,390 injured in road accidents recorded nationwide in the first three days of the “7-day Dangerous Day” campaign

Compare that to the 5 killed and 400 injured during the past 30 days of protests in BKK!

Perspective anyone?

Even one single death is a very sad affair and so I am NOT trivializing the 5 deaths that have occurred during the protests,.. but the worst thing about the two sets of tragedy is that the 161 deaths (with more to come if statistics and averages apply) will be brushed off as non consequential casualties of a national annual event... viz a viz the New Year holiday road carnage!

I wonder how many of the 1,390 that were injured so far, die from their injuries and it is not added to the tally. This years tally has already passed last years. So much for the clamp down on road rules.blink.png

"DRUNK DRIVING AND SPEEDING ARE THE CAUSE" sorry, but they are not, they are the Effect of poor driver training and education,indiscipline,ignorance and lack of enforcement. This annual carnage is the direct result of poor governance and the glaring lack of adequate judicial administration and enforcement.

Law enforcement/governance is impossible when the citizenry is, largely, not law-abiding.

• Like 1

"DRUNK DRIVING AND SPEEDING ARE THE CAUSE" sorry, but they are not, they are the Effect of poor driver training and education,indiscipline,ignorance and lack of enforcement. This annual carnage is the direct result of poor governance and the glaring lack of adequate judicial administration and enforcement.

Law enforcement/governance is impossible when the citizenry is, largely, not law-abiding.

Absolutely correct. My wife always says that you can make whatever laws you like but Thai's will ignore them all and do what they like. Serious attitude problems here.

These death toll numbers I've been seeing on Thai Visa over the years must be effecting the Thai population. The numbers are staggering. Completely shocking.

Sadly I don't think it will ever change. I mean you can't change a race and there natural mentality, thinking and tendencies. Especially if they are left to there own devises.

There could be a shining light. I think an independent council would be a good idea Suthep. Just ensure no members are Thai.

You only need to be wearing a seat belt or a crash helmet if you have an accident. Problem is, you never know when you will have an accident. Therefore, you need to wear them all the time - not to mention that is the law! Thai people only wear them when there is a Police purge and often they know in advance when and where that will be.

Most motorbike owners carry a helmet in their shopping basket. After they have been shopping you can almost hear them asking, "now then, where can I put this crash helmet?"

If it were up to me, drunk drivers would have their vehicles impounded and a heavy price to pay for their retrieval. If they get killed walking home, so be it! Thai driving is down to a 'don't care and totally selfish attitude' so I will make them pay enough to make them care! And until they do, their vehicles are off the road!

Would this work? I don't know but, B5000 to retrieve every vehicle would provide plenty of Government income to pay Police a decent wage to enforce the law and probably reduce corruption, whilst ensuring that dangerous driving is treated with the urgency, vigilance and serious attention that is lacking currently - and has been for many years!

• Like 2

Everyone seems to concentrate on the car/truck/bus deaths & accidents, but around 82% of the deaths/accidents involve motorcycles...probably drunk motorcycle drivers with no helmets zipping along a country road. I know for me here in western Bangkok I rarely see a serious vehicle accidents that obviously killed/hurt people...but I see plenty of minor to medium low speed rear end collisions because of the constant tailgating....I think most Thai's consider maintaining a couple of car length distances from the person in front of them as being a crime against humanity and they just don't do it. I still waiting for the day someone rear-ends my SUV...it's just a matter of time...came close many times already with people tailgating and not paying full attention.

I sure know when I'm driving around in the provinces on the back roads it's the land of motorcycles, no helmets, all age groups riding motorcycles with some of the age groups being young kids or really old folks...and I expect many have no license. And of course it's very common to see old motorcycles loaded down with a whole family of dad, mom, and a couple of kids...and of course none of them wearing helmets.

Just remember if they allow 2 or 3 car lengths someone will just cut in front of them and then your back to tailgating

• Like 1

How many people die each day as a result of a traffic accident in Thailand ?

That was your starter for 10. As I'm confident that you know the WHO's figures for Thailand is 68.1, we will now follow up with your three questions for 5 points each.

Now the key words of the starter question are "as a result of". Global statistics include dying within 30 days of the accident.

So, of the 1,390 injuries sustained in the first three days of "the dangerous 7", how many will result in death within 30 days ? (I haven't a clue as there is no transparency on such matters in Thailand that I have found.)

Which are the only two countries (5 points for each correct answer) that have a higher road traffic death rate per 100,000 people than Thailand, again according to the WHO ? if you said Eritrea and Libya, claim 10 points right now.

And if you wish to disparage the UN's numbers I can direct you to other websites that put the Thai numbers higher !

Have a happy and SAFE New Year !

I want to jump through the tv and wring the newscaster's neck, just going through, reciting all these statistics! That's it,just recite, no analysys or mention of the tragedy and how this IS NOT NORMAL! And now they are getting to which provinces are left with no deaths and no accidents. *****? Is this a a game? Is there a prize at the end???

The way they mention how police officers are being told "do this check that"... is this how the police communicate? Is this just for public consumption? The police ain't doing ****** and its been like this since cars have been in Thailand!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app