Breaking 90 - my journey

Gsxrnz

I only discovered golf two years ago at the age of 51. Wish I'd started when I was a kid - anyway, no regrets.

My last two games I hit 88. For the last year I've only been capable of mid 90's occasionally, and typically 98 was an average day with the occasional disheartening triple figure.

I'm a big hitter which is a mixed bag in terms of benefits. Sure, it's great when the caddies and your mates go ooohhh aaaahhh when you nail a drive 280 straight down the middle, but get it wrong and I'm frequently in trouble. It also helps when you can be on in regulation (assuming you don't wander into the trees/water/OB, which has been my problem).

My putting is has improved as I've spent a lot of time practicing, rarely more than 2 putt and can get a brace of single putts on a good day. My general ball striking is fairly consistent with the usual handful of mishits in a round, albeit hitting long can (does) get me in trouble.

So it has bugged me for a long time as to why I could not improve on a best of 95, even though my ball striking in all categories has gradually improved and with it my confidence in "going for it".

And therein lay my problem, but it's taken me until this last fortnight to really understand the concept of course management. I thought I understood the concept, it appears to be quite simple. But even today after I analysed my game, I genuinely think I could have saved 3 fairway shots (water penalties) if I'd stuck to the program that I'd mapped out for myself. However, I recognized also that I probably saved at least 10 shots that on any other day I would have given away which would have resulted in my regular 98 instead of 88.

I believe my striking of the ball these last two games is no better or worse than previously. I got into trouble 3 times costing penalties, but also got many pars that I know would have been bogies and doubles a few weeks ago. I didn't play my shots any better, I didn't hit them any further, or more accurately. What I DID do is really analyse the way I was playing, my confidence with particular clubs on different holes, and my confidence on distances.

Over the last two weeks I've been googling and youtubing course management. There are hundreds of videos etc and I'm reluctant to recommend any particular one. But I discovered that it's not as simple a concept as just "keeping out of trouble". As an example, I was not previously aware that in my game, it's been the driver, 3-wood, and 60 -100 shots that cost me a score. Also analysed that whenever I'm 120-150 out, that's my "well this is easy on the green and no worries" shot.

So the last two games I've changed my club selection to get me 120-150 off the green for the approach shot where possible. Result? The pressure for a big hit off the tee is gone, the pressure for a blistering 3 wood in the fairway is gone - both of which routinely got me in trouble. Fewer "critical" shots were necessary to save a par or a bogey, and general confidence was boosted. In fact, my former favourite club was a 3 wood, which in two games I've chosen not to use.

Obviously my short game needs working on, so off to the driving range for chipping and pitching practice. My driver may be 20-30 yards shorter than before, but that's OK and I've been much straighter with it. Even relegated it for a 5 iron on two holes to hit 180 rather than try and get over the water at 230, which usually ended in tears either squirting right into trees or getting wet anyway.

Sorry for the long story. But my advice is to do as much research as you can on managing the course and managing yourself. There's a lot more to it than meets the eye and you really have to be critical of your game and the way you play it. Breaking 90 seemed easy. That may seem big headed, but I really didn't play the shots any better than before, I just played better shots and had better critical thinking.

I know where I went wrong today and I'm hell bent on getting to that magical 80 before too much longer. I've been spending too much time practicing and researching how to play particular shots/clubs, than figuring out what shots to play. I can't really explain it any more than that. I'm sure better players on TV will be able to explain it better than I can.

Anyway, that's my story.

Cheers smile.png

Been there done that, but a good story and I totally understand your situation.

Started golfing when I turned 60 and remember my first full 18 holes was 147, best score you can get in snooker!

Took 4 years to break 90 and much the same progress as yourself. Realised course management, along with a lot of practice was the way to go and right at the end of last year after 5 years I broke 80 for the first, and only time so far, with a 79. Since then I have had many 80 & 81 etc scores but with too many cock ups in one of the 9's just keep missing. Worst, or best? I hit a par 36 on the first nine and then the wheels fell of with a 46 on the second nine.

My interest in golf and then websites 3 years ago took me in to building golf websites of which I now have 23 that are live mainly relating to golf in Asia.

Never too old!

1508560.GIF

• Like 1

Thanks Thailand, good result for you with a 36/9. My game invariably falls into 2 halves as well, so I know where you're coming from. One of my plans is to stop thinking about the front nine versus the back nine. I feel it pressurises me to "restart" from the tenth and either try and achieve as good a back nine as the front, or recover from a poor front nine. The point being that I feel it adds pressure.

Anyway, it seems to have made me see the game as two halves and changes the way I feel about the tenth hole. It's probably just a "me" thing, but it's one psychological thing I want to iron out. I'm focusing more on the hole that I'm playing and forgetting what happened on the last hole (good or bad) and not thinking about the overall score.

I lost the plot today and got a triple and 2 doubles that should not have happened except that I let my ego take over. They should all have been bogey or maybe one double, and would have been if I'd played for them, but I told myself I could save par......yeah, you know the rest I'm sure. smile.png

Upon seeing the thread title, I was so very excited to learn of the OP's travels through 90 years of life!

Breaking 90 in golf is a far, far greater achievement than simply living until 90 years of age. whistling.gif

And it was posted in the Golf Forum, so, you know, the thread title would be self explanatory to a golfer.

I've been playing for 3 years now and went through the same thing. First it was trying to break 100, then 90, then 80, which I succeeded in doing 10 months ago. Since then I went through a stage of breaking 80 consistently (best was 76) but the last month or so has been a struggle. I seem to have lost my touch with the putter.

I totally agree with your comment about course management. I too give a lot of shots away in the 50 - 80 yard range. I like to leave myself a full shot into greens, 80, 100, 120, 140 are good distances for me. The only time I don't try to leave myself these distances is on par 5's if I have a chance of getting on in 2 where the reward out ways the risk.

Again like you I am 35 and wish I started to play this game as a kid. My son first picked up a club at 10 months, he's 17 months now and hitting the ball quite nicely.

Here's a video of him hitting a few balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxPKCFJgR4

Edited by Puyai

I've been playing for 3 years now and went through the same thing. First it was trying to break 100, then 90, then 80, which I succeeded in doing 10 months ago. Since then I went through a stage of breaking 80 consistently (best was 76) but the last month or so has been a struggle. I seem to have lost my touch with the putter.

I totally agree with your comment about course management. I too give a lot of shots away in the 50 - 80 yard range. I like to leave myself a full shot into greens, 80, 100, 120, 140 are good distances for me. The only time I don't try to leave myself these distances is on par 5's if I have a chance of getting on in 2 where the reward out ways the risk.

Again like you I am 35 and wish I started to play this game as a kid. My son first picked up a club at 10 months, he's 17 months now and hitting the ball quite nicely.

Here's a video of him hitting a few balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxPKCFJgR4

Cute.

Looks a bit like Tiger at the same age!