profit per rai?

itsmylife

Everything is variable , this is somewhat of an open ended question IMO

Consider your question in more detail and then pose it again .

Sorry if I seem a little gruff in my reply , just the same question

How long is a piece of string ?

Edit grammar and spelling

Edited by bpaiduay
  • Like 2

It largely depends on what soil you have, if irrigation is easy and available year round and your local market.

E.g. there is high profit in bell peppers if you have enough market to sell without transport costs.

Bye,

Derk

This is an open ended question !

It depends on what you want to farm !

1Rai will not even make breakfast for some Thai folk .

Enough said .

Well i thinking of Hydroponic farming so soil is not the problem, i never been a farmer but intend to so before i going to thailand to set up a farm just hope i can get some idea how much profit can get per rai Average what veg are best to farm that you guy experience of. so i will know how many rai of land to buy inorder to survive in thailand for long term.( i expecting 80k bath profit /month after all cost) .can 2 rai of land enough ?

Edited by itsmylife

Well i thinking of Hydroponic farming so soil is not the problem, i never been a farmer but intend to so before i going to thailand to set up a farm just hope i can get some idea how much profit can get per rai Average that you guy experience of. so i will know how many rai of land to buy inorder to survive in thailand.

Is this for real?

You intend coming to a country in which you cant own land to invest in a project you know SFA about.

Ok here goes, rice will give you about 2,000 baht per rai per year profit.

That equates to about 400 rai you will need to buy to give you 800k per year.

What type of land will you buy?

Full chanote with the off the wall prices they now want, 1 million baht plus, you will never recoup your initial outlay.

Better you lease gov't land for 500 baht per rai per year.

Another tip for you, learn to speak and read Thai before you get here, dont believe everything you teelak tells you.

Another tip, forget Thailand, head for Cambodia or Burma.

Well i thinking of Hydroponic farming so soil is not the problem, i never been a farmer but intend to so before i going to thailand to set up a farm just hope i can get some idea how much profit can get per rai Average what veg are best to farm that you guy experience of. so i will know how many rai of land to buy inorder to survive in thailand for long term.( i expecting 80k bath profit /month after all cost) .can 2 rai of land enough ?

Dream on, best you get back to the drawing board.

80k per month, excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor, this just proves this is a wind up.

• Like 1

Well i thinking of Hydroponic farming so soil is not the problem, i never been a farmer but intend to so before i going to thailand to set up a farm just hope i can get some idea how much profit can get per rai Average that you guy experience of. so i will know how many rai of land to buy inorder to survive in thailand.

Is this for real?

You intend coming to a country in which you cant own land to invest in a project you know SFA about.

Full chanote with the off the wall prices they now want, 1 million baht plus, you will never recoup your initial outlay.

Another tip for you, learn to speak and read Thai before you get here, dont believe everything you teelak tells you.

1)I,m talking about veg farming not rice

2)So how a foriengner lease govt land ?

3) Can foriengner own land in cambodia or burma?

trade secret so don't let others no, the average thai farmer are the wealthiest in the world. we get about 100k baht a month profit per rai of land. We have about 100 rai, I will share my secrets at the farmers conference next year. 50k baht fees for the 2 day conference. If you get 10 others to come at that rate you can go for free.

OK, if you are still reading, really don't expect to do anything but loose money. FYI, you are not Thai, you cannot be a farmer, you cannot own land. Vegetables and herbs are very cheap in Thailand so how do you expect to make large profits from them. The people that I know that are wealthy in the farming regions, buy from farmers and transport to larger markets, can, export etc.

I know this is probably a troll post, but in case you are for real, read more of this forum. Read every thread for the last 3-4 pages, then start posting.

No not true. I made money...a lot of money from Makua plant (golfball egg plant for green curry and chillies in between rows) Chilles last for 18 months and Makua last for 3 years. I got too much pocket money for Lao Khao and Kuoong Cha Buoi every night...

Average my "3 rai 66 talang wah" fetches ฿1'600 - ฿2'000/day on combined produce (depends on seasonal price)

After paying off labour, I'm left with ฿800 - ฿1'000/day. I'm generous with my farm hands. smile.png

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

Is this for real?

Ok I have FA better to do just now than indulge you.

Read post #10, then re read it, after that read it again, after re reading it, print it out and hang it on your bathroom wall, everytime you take a dump just think of it as if you are dumping your money into the black hole that is farming in this country.

Oh wow, why didnt I or any other farang or any Thai ever think up this great money making scheme you have, here goes,

1)I,m talking about veg farming not rice same same but different, who are you going to sell your produce to?

Do you have a license to sell it?

Do you have a license to transport it?

How much have you allocated for "tea money"?

2)So how a foriengner lease govt land ? Answer is you cant, thankfully this is Thailand, every problem has a solution, bear in mind you will be the one paying.

3) Can foriengner own land in cambodia or burma? No chance, never mind, get your head back in the books, you aint the first and you wont be the last to come here thinking he has found some sort of El Dorado.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Is this for real?

Ok I have FA better to do just now than indulge you.

Read post #10, then re read it, after that read it again, after re reading it, print it out and hang it on your bathroom wall, everytime you take a dump just think of it as if you are dumping your money into the black hole that is farming in this country.

Oh wow, why didnt I or any other farang or any Thai ever think up this great money making scheme you have, here goes,

1)I,m talking about veg farming not rice same same but different, who are you going to sell your produce to?

Do you have a license to sell it?

Do you have a license to transport it?

How much have you allocated for "tea money"?

2)So how a foriengner lease govt land ? Answer is you cant, thankfully this is Thailand, every problem has a solution, bear in mind you will be the one paying.

3) Can foriengner own land in cambodia or burma? No chance, never mind, get your head back in the books, you aint the first and you wont be the last to come here thinking he has found some sort of El Dorado.

Ok I'd like you to re-read post #13 (my post) on how to make money in Thailand.

Don't need to own land as a foreigner because I'm married to one. I'm THE BRAIN, not working so not against the law. Money made spent in Thailand for the comfortable livelihood of my family...very Hi-So life style for a farming Low Class.

Just in case you are not convinced...check my profile, post and topic. It the real deal you arm chair dweller can't handle. tongue.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

^^^^^^,

no problemo, read your post, is this the one.

After paying off labour, I'm left with ฿800 - ฿1'000/day. I'm generous with my farm hands.

Lets take the high end, 1,000 baht per day, holy cow thats a whopping 365,000 baht per year.

Up to you, I earn more than that in a month, still each to his own.

Isnt that classified as below minimum wage in some countries?

Best of luck to you, sorry it aint for me.

^^^^^^,

no problemo, read your post, is this the one.

After paying off labour, I'm left with ฿800 - ฿1'000/day. I'm generous with my farm hands.

Lets take the high end, 1,000 baht per day, holy cow thats a whopping 365,000 baht per year.

Up to you, I earn more than that in a month, still each to his own.

Isnt that classified as below minimum wage in some countries?

Best of luck to you, sorry it aint for me.

Looks to me like this topic got caught up in a different frame of mind !

Ahh well since the plane landed , let's have tea coffee1.gif

rgs2001uk

Redbull is a very succesful farmer, he also is a wonderful resource on this forum. He is not wrong that you can make a good living, but he left out one small detail, that he spent a lot of energy, time, research, blood, sweat and tears getting to where he is at. Also you might not want to brag that you make 15kusd a month, first not many would believe you and 2nd even if it were true it is very pretencious to brag. Look up Redbull's catfish farming, great videos and you can see he makes a pretty good income from fish.

I respect him very much and if you don't, that is up to you. But I also think that Redbull wouldn't recommend coming to Thailand to start a farm if you have no practical experience.

• Like 2

Everyone I know that is making a living with any sort of farming has some detailed knowledge that they learned here or brought with them. Also, they have worked (and still work) very hard. They are all in a good location for there specific endeavor which means I doubt I could do RBHs catfish operation outside of Petchabun. They all have a good understanding of how things work in Thailand. They have developed connections that give them access to markets and labor and been able to carve out their piece of profit. And (while I don't know this for sure) I assume they have support and loyalty from their spouse. And every morning they wake up there is no place they would rather be.

You have to make some choices about what you want to do. Hydroponics or regular cultivation. Hydroponics will need a nearby hi-end market and you (your spouse)would need to own your own land as government land could be reclaimed at any time. You need to figurant to out what part of Thailand you want to live in. You should visit a number of operations and examine the different circumstances that come together to make it work. You need to examine why you think you can come to a foreign country with no special knowledge and compete against the local and corporate farms. You need to determine how much you are willing to lose because for every successful farang farmer I know of I know 10 that have lost big. And many I know that have been successful, where not at first.

You aren't going to get a complete operation handed to you by this form as we don't know enough about what/where you want to do and I don't get the impression that you do either. You will get help here, but you need to prepare a little. Before I ever posted I read every post going back 2 years at the time til I hit a point where they were archived (including the posts pinned here and on the organic subforum). Before I bought land, I rented near my home and had live in Thailand 4 years and I visited every type of operation I could. I spent hours in the local market seeing what sold and looked at the fluctuation of prices and supply. I visited pig farms (large and small) rice mill/pig or duck operations, tilapia farms, pla sawai farms, layers over catfish, broilers over fish, quail farms and every type of vegetable and fruit tree farm I could find.

Please do a little homework and ask more specific questions. This post is not meant as a slam, I feel you have as much right here as anyone. It is merely the best advice and information I can give you.

Chok dee

• Like 2

Firstly, i thanks zeichen and bpaiduay for your good words...and seasoned posters like tingtong and Jotham79 for their insight in doing farming business in Thailand.

rgs2001uk, you're too quick to make judgement that farming business wouldn't produce good income and comfortable livelihood.

I believe you do make very high income per month compare to my small farmimg income per year... I made SGD$8'000/month too before i left for Thailand. Everyone back home said I'm crazy or stupid when i decided to be a farmer. My father insisted that i hold a share of the two 7-11 stores and other family own businesses for financial security reasons, my mother has even till this day insisted that she send me ฿10 million every year for financial support.

My wife is happy to be married to me because i am capable of keeping her dry and warm, she said if she wants to marry to money she would marry my parents. tongue.png

So basically I'm financially very secure and very persistence in making my goal of being a successful farmer. So my question to you is that what will happen if you were to give up your present income and get down dirty on the ground as a farmer...hands-on. You think you can make it ? rolleyes.gif

------------------------------------------

I wouldn't want to bore readers with details of how much spent energy, time, research, blood, sweat and tears getting to where I'm today...It is "home work", a must do, to ensure success by staying ahead. As for the obstacles of farming, it can be tackle, each and every one of them...the Thai way.

It makes thing easier when you have the fund to invest, the difficult part is not to be dupe by dishonest buyer.

I've other businesses beside farming, a home DIY & 4WD tractors spare parts store and an internet/online gaming cafe. This are side incomes....Combine income of about ฿760'000/year. My main stream of income is from farming catfishes, minimum is ฿1'270'000/year. Maximum is capped at ฿1'600'000 if i combine my rental ponds. Makhua and Chilis plantation are just "daily" beer money burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

In the end it's all down to how comfortable you want your lifestyle to be ? My Thai neighbour makes an average of ฿1'000/day selling his rubber, ฿200'000/year selling his paddy, ฿70'000/year selling his pigs and ฿100'000/year selling his maizes. Total is ฿735'000/year. Eating sticky rice and chilis, somtam, fishes from his pond and veggy from his garden... His monthly expenditure is about ฿8'000 including electricity bill.

Me ? ฿23'000/month, excluding Lao Khao and Changs laugh.png

Yes, farming business in Thailand works and pays well...If you hands-on your farm operations and be very resourceful.

Social drinking helps build relationship with buyers/wholesalers and make it easy to squeeze trade information when they're drunk. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

Happy farming and Happy new year.

So my question to you is that what will happen if you were to give up your present income and get down dirty on the ground as a farmer...hands-on. You think you can make it ?

Believe me I considered it purely from an investment point of view.

I couldnt get the numbers to add up, the land would have cost me 30 million baht (100 rai at 300k per rai).

Income of 20k per rai per year = 2 million baht per year, it would have taken me at least 15 years just to break even (not including any capital appreciation on the land).

Secondly was the location of the land.

Thirdly, I know I couldnt make it, I know nothing of farming, its not a lifestyle that appeals to me.

I prefer to stick with what I know.

From what I have observed in my years here, farmers fall into three disticnt categories.

First, gentlemen farmers, farang who have a pension coming in to support them, as long as it doesnt run at a loss the farang is happy.

Secondly, FIFO guys, trying to get a project/farm up and running as part of the retirement plan, as soon as the project starts turning a profit these guys will move here full time.

Thirdly, guys who dont seem to have a clue, mostly live overseas and visit here maybe twice a year at most, the farm seems to be some sort of cross between a welfare project to give the family something to do couple with a blackhole into which they are always pouring money. Sadly these guys seem to be in the majority.

These guys have no farm or business background, its almost heartbreaking to watch money being frittered away.

I am well aware only a handul will succeed, they are usually blessed with a supportive wife and family and bought land a few years ago before the rise into the stratosphere some are wanting for their land.

Best of luck to you, you are one of the few sucess stories I have heard of.

There are only two other posters on here I had any time for, they told it like it is/was based on my observations and experience.

I have never met these guys (one is since banned and the other rarely posts these days) so have no reason to suck up to them.

I strongly believe this isnt for the fainthearted, it certainly aint for anyone with no farming background, much less no ability to speak or read Thai.

If the OP wants to go for it, best of luck to him, IMHO the odds are stacked against him.

• Like 1

rgs does have a point that farming isn't and shouldn't be a get rich scheme. It is a difficult business probably as risky as rest. or bars.

For those that have never farmed and those that don't have connections in Thailand, a spouse that supports them and can make deals and introductions, it is a rough road.

I think that he was purely talking the negative side just to show caution. If you actually think that farming is a bad investment for all, then you are wrong.

RGS, there is a lot of money to be made in farming so don't discount it. Ask the CEO of CP foods, one the of the top 10 richest people in Asia.

• Like 1

...and he has instructed his downline to try their very best to get people like me onboard...before AEC starts in late 2015. Had 4 visits from their council vice president (zone) in the past 4 months. 5 years ago i contacted CP for brand assistance (pellet feed) and was told "we will contact you, not you contact us..." dry.png

5 years later...

Once my reputation is up to par...here they come~~~ happy.png

Trying their best to poach me from Betagro...

Let's not be too harsh on the OP. His new GF wants to drag him to her village to live a happy life as small-time farmers. First (of course) it is expected that he builds a nice European-Standart House on Family-Land. The usual procedure.

What are the poorest people in Thailand? = Small - time Farmers.

If the OP wants to join them, let him !

Cheers.

Is there any farmer out there? turn their 1 rai of land into 2 rai ? or 3 rai ?make full use of his land to generate more profit .Example on top of your fish farm you plant vegetable and on top of your veg you plant fruit that hanging over the veg.

Is there any farmer out there? turn their 1 rai of land into 2 rai ? or 3 rai ?make full use of his land to generate more profit .Example on top of your fish farm you plant vegetable and on top of your veg you plant fruit that hanging over the veg.

There are dozens of videos about that on Utube, nock yourself out. There is also a pinned thread about aquaponics on organic gardeny of this organic gardening / small holding sub forum and some posts on here....are you reading any of this? do a search for Aquaponics and go from there. You are not getting your answers because you are not talking to the right folks.