HardWood Internal Doors

pattayapip

Hi, I am now at the stage I need to purchase Internal Doors for my new home project.

I would like solid Hardwood Doors
Has anyone any experience of the quality and price of these in Pattaya ? I have seen many in the big stores and vary very much in price, anyone recently bought any and have some recommendations ?

I am also on the lookout for a Good Garden/Landscape Designer ? Nearly a Rai to Landscape

Thanks For any Help

I'm not in Pattaya so this is of limited help, but our local 'door man' (ask in the local builder's merchant) has a vast array of standard styles in teak and mai daeng which he will make to your sizes, they are invariably cheaper and better quality than the big outlets.

All our doors are teak, didn't break the bank although I've long since forgotten the pricing detail, sorry.

Got to be someone similar in your area smile.png

Amazingly I found the door guy's catalog, he's worth a call (you'll need a Thai speaker) he may have a 'friend' in your area or even be prepared to ship to you if a sensible sized order, at the least it will give you an idea what the small factories are producing.

Talked to Wifey, he has a deal with our contractor so the pricing was secret, but you can bet it wasn't silly.

It's a 10MB download I'm afraid :- http://www.crossy.co.uk/Handy%20Files/Doors.PDF

EDIT And of course the whole world now knows what doors we have where :)

There is a shop on Thepprasit, half way between the gasstation and Soi Korpai if you come from Sukhumvit at the right side, which sells teak doors covered with teak veneer.

So the door frame is real teak, but a low grade, and therefor is veneered with perfect teak veneer. Price is around 5000 Baht. They have many different style and can arrange for a carpenter.

Another shop just before the traffic lights from Pattaya Nua on Sukhumvit if you come from Bangkok, which has the same doors but they ask a slightly higher price.

Edited by PeterSmiles

There is a shop on Thepprasit, half way between the gasstation and Soi Korpai if you come from Sukhumvit at the right side, which sells teak doors covered with teak veneer.

So the door frame is real teak, but a low grade, and therefor is veneered with perfect teak veneer. Price is around 5000 Baht. They have many different style and can arrange for a carpenter.

Another shop just before the traffic lights from Pattaya Nua on Sukhumvit if you come from Bangkok, which has the same doors but they ask a slightly higher price.

I am not trying to be funny here.

<deleted> is "real teak, but a low grade, and therefor is veneered with perfect teak veneer."

Please define low grade real teak, do you mean, mai sak, mai makka or mai daeng?, where do you buy teak veneer, I have never heard of it.

He is talking about a door, not a door frame, they are two different things.

Price 5000 baht, for what, a door, a door frame, or a door and a frame?

If the OP wishes to come to Bkk I can show him exactly where to go, HP HW or any of these other stores aint where he should be shopping.

Head to Bang Sue in Bkk, if in Pattaya head to a lumber yard or wood store.

<deleted> is "real teak, but a low grade, and therefor is veneered with perfect teak veneer."

Please define low grade real teak, do you mean, mai sak, mai makka or mai daeng?, where do you buy teak veneer, I have never heard of it.

If the OP wishes to come to Bkk I can show him exactly where to go, HP HW or any of these other stores aint where he should be shopping.

I wanted to reply, but if you say that you've never heard about teak veneer, I assume it is a waste of time. Same if you think that all teak from a tree looks the same.

Have a good day.

Edited by PeterSmiles

I wanted to reply, but if you say that you've never heard about teak veneer, I assume it is a waste of time. Same if you think that all teak from a tree looks the same.

Have a good day.

I suggest the OP reads this,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/201757-local-wood-varieties/

Are you talking about lacquering?

if you think that all teak from a tree looks the same.

What tree are you talking about?

Please read the above posted link.

As for HW doors, in the house there are 9 of them, all mai daeng, none are veneered, as are neither of the external front and back doors.

Have a good day.

Have a good day.

I suggest the OP reads this,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/201757-local-wood-varieties/

Are you talking about lacquering?

if you think that all teak from a tree looks the same.

What tree are you talking about?

Please read the above posted link.

As for HW doors, in the house there are 9 of them, all mai daeng, none are veneered, as are neither of the external front and back doors.

Have a good day.

You will know that Teak trees exist, and that mai daeng is something completely different from teak ?

Not all wood from a tree is suitable to make a nice interior door, however the wood has the same quality as the beautiful parts of the tree, that why they paint it or cover it with veneer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_veneer

veneer refers to thin slices of wood, usually thinner than 3 mm (1/8 inch), that typically are glued onto core panels

Producing wood veneers

The finest and rarest logs are sent to companies that produce veneer. The advantage to this practice is twofold. First, it provides the most financial gain to the owner of the log. Secondly, and of more importance to the woodworker, it greatly expands the amount of usable wood.

Edited by PeterSmiles

Teak veneer certainly exists, it's used in the West by the furniture bucket shops on top of MDF :(

Our doors and windows are definitely solid teak, you just couldn't do the fine mouldings in anything veneered, knot patterns go all the way through.

Frames are mai daeng.

Amazingly I found the door guy's catalog, he's worth a call (you'll need a Thai speaker) he may have a 'friend' in your area or even be prepared to ship to you if a sensible sized order, at the least it will give you an idea what the small factories are producing.

Talked to Wifey, he has a deal with our contractor so the pricing was secret, but you can bet it wasn't silly.

It's a 10MB download I'm afraid :- http://www.crossy.co.uk/Handy%20Files/Doors.PDF

EDIT And of course the whole world now knows what doors we have where smile.png

Downloaded the File thanks :) Will get the Misses to Call and see what options there are, thanks for taking to time to do this, appreciated

Many Thanks for all the other replies also, will take a ride out and look around for the small type shops that makes these rather than the Superstores, need to "Google" exactly where Soi Chaipruk2 is smile.png

Not sure today would be the best day to be driving around looking, Guessing lots of traffic ahead of tonights festivities

Advanced Happy New Year To All

Thanks again

Edited by pattayapip

Teak veneer certainly exists, it's used in the West by the furniture bucket shops on top of MDF sad.png

Our doors and windows are definitely solid teak, you just couldn't do the fine mouldings in anything veneered, knot patterns go all the way through.

Frames are mai daeng.

post-187611-0-59314800-1388470319_thumb.

• 1 month later...

Just saw your post. It may be late to help you but I will throw in a few comments that I hope will be helpful.

Solid Teak Doors from mature Teak lumber are very expensive. I do not know exact pricing but I am sure one solid interior door would be more than THB15,000. There is no legal supply of this variety of Teak cut in Thailand and hasn't been any for more than 40 years. All mature Teak logs in Thailand used to come from Mynamar.

The new-look government there has stopped the export of logs to Thailand and other countries. They do export mature Teak in lumber form. Very few door manufacturers in Thailand use this lumber because the finished door price is too high for most buyers.

Plantation Teak grown in Thailand has been available for a few years to make doors and other products. It is not a nice looking wood like natural grown mature Teak. It too is fairly expensive but not as expensive as mature Teak.

Teak veneer is thinly sliced Teak that is generally applied as thin as 1mm over another layer or layers of other wood to make "fancy-faced" Teak plywood. It looks very good but you can really only use is for flat doors, not for panelled doors. You can buy these doors in Bang Pho, Bang Su, Bangkok and at other places in the provinces at places like Home Pro. Generally speaking BangPho is a great place to shop for wood products. There are 2 Soi's there to walk and browse. It is the heart of the wood products business for Thailand. If you can't find what you want there, it doesn't exist in Thailand. Prices in Bang Pho are much better than HP and other DIY's.

Mai Suk is Teak, Mai Daeng and Mai Makka are separate and different species of tropical hardwoods. They are all beautiful but in their own way. Mai Suk/Teak is the only one of the three that is naturally resistant to insects like termites and to rot. The other wood that is naturally resistant to termites and rot without chemical treatment is Western Red Cedar from Canada and NW USA.

An alternative choice for solid doors is Douglas Fir from Canada. It is the hardest of the softwoods (coniferous) species. Home Pro sells solid doors made from Douglas Fir. Put on your glasses and look for "DF" in the model number on the price tag. Douglas Fir and Oak are commonly used in North America for Premium solid doors. I don't recommend the doors in HP made from Radiata Pine at HP (NZ in the model number on the price tag). It is a fast growth plantation species from New Zealand. Not a bad product for some applications, just not for doors or fine wood working.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

We got "design 064" from "Crossy's catalogue" from on out of town wood supplier in Chiang Mai for about 900 baht each, unfinished, unglazed. The door fitter said that they are Chinese (very) hard wood.

The Chinese don't have any wood of their own anymore. It is all imported. Products coming from China use wood from N. America, New Zealand, Europe, Australia, Africa, and South America. They import massive quantities of wood and are consuming about the same volume of wood fibre today as USA.

I recently heard someone mention Chinese Oak. There is a species known as Chinese Oak. It's only commercial use is for cork that comes from the bark of this tree. The rest of the fibre (the trunk and branches) isn't commercially viable. Any mention of Chinese wood species should be taken with a bucket of salt.

Edited by GBB53

One more thing.....relative to selecting doors or other solid wood products.

Pay attention to the grain pattern if you want a stable door or frame.

(And moisture content if you have a way to measure it-should be 8%-12%; (in Thai, quam churn).

There are 3 grain patterns you will see when looking at solid wood.

Flat Grain - looks like peaks of lines or mountains. Thai people call this pattern Poo-Kaow (mountain). It is the most popular grain pattern to Thai people. It is also the most expensive in Thailand.

Now the bad news......

Flat grain is mechanically the weakest cut and is prone to warpage.

In the west, it the cheapest in price. (opposite of Thailand)

Vertical Grain- Strongest, straightest, less prone to warpage, cheapest in Thailand if they use local woods and sort by grain pattern, most expensive in the west.

Mixed Grain- some of each, not a bad compromise.