The Only Art Thread

MJP

Seeing as this is the 'Photography and the Arts' sub-forum, thought I might kick off the New Year in a new direction.

Now I know next to nothing about about art. My only ever critique of art was "Why the F was that pile of bricks given the Turner Prize?"

6789586259_39170618bd_z.jpg

This isn't art, it's building supplies.

Anyway, trying not start with a negative, what art do you appreciate and why?

Examples would be handy so I know what you're on about.

Edited by MJP

^^^ My son did stuff like this when he was about 5...had me worried for a year or two then

he started to draw heavy construction equipment and airplanes & ships & wotnot!

I can't draw, this is the best I can do with a digger.

8570597697_3390b38cf3_b.jpg

<deleted>...ran outta likes!

I'm off the forum lads & lassies...see y'all next year!

Edited by sunshine51

^^^ My son did stuff like this when he was about 5...had me worried for a year or two then

My first thought was "nothing to do with art, but this is very cool picture".

Then again, this is "man against the nature / almighty / space zombies", which I guess makes it art.

What is art anyway? Something which makes us to think few moves ahead, before we open our mouths?

My first thought was "nothing to do with art, but this is very cool picture".

Then again, this is "man against the nature / almighty / space zombies", which I guess makes it art.

What is art anyway? Something which makes us to think few moves ahead, before we open our mouths?

I dunno. We're waiting for an artist or Brian Sewell to turn up and tell us.

I was never really into this sort of thing . . .

220px-Thomas_Gainsborough_by_Thomas_Gain

Reminds me of being dragged round National Trust houses by my mother when I was six.

After paying my dues and completing 5 years of Art College I believe that the majority of 'in vogue' art excitement, centers around opportunities for insecure souls to become part of an exclusive club of the enlightened.

It is all about stroking their artificial superiority.

This is why pieces like the OP get the big prizes. the give an opportunity for the art crowd to pretend to know why it is great and then rub your peasant face in it (you just don't understand).

Real art and artists are out there, but if they don't have the right connections, they are likely to be pumping gas or mowing lawns.

After paying my dues and completing 5 years of Art College I believe that the majority of 'in vogue' art excitement, centers around opportunities for insecure souls to become part of an exclusive club of the enlightened.

It is all about stroking their artificial superiority.

This is why pieces like the OP get the big prizes. the give an opportunity for the art crowd to pretend to know why it is great and then rub your peasant face in it (you just don't understand).

Real art and artists are out there, but if they don't have the right connections, they are likely to be pumping gas or mowing lawns.

I make you right. I remember Tony Blair when he first attained his dictatorship talking about 'Cool Britannia' when he was walking round one of these modern art places. What a p£$ck! Not long after the term 'Bui!!sh!t Britain' became a popular term.

That bloke with the dots and the dead sheep. That soap dodging woman with the unmade bed. I couldn't see the attraction.

Can you find any examples of artists you appreciate and post 'em up?

• 4 weeks later...

I like Surrealism and Da Da stuff- there is a good Thai guy with a book out now, the title slips my memory, he mixes the affore mentioned style in to Buddhist, Thai & esoteric imagery.

Also I like some of the impressionist works.

"Super realism" is amazing just from a talent/ skill point of view.

Recently I've been getting Bonhams Auction catalogs to my email in box. Not bought anything or really intending to tbh , but it's interesting to have a scroll through and see all the lots and what they are marked at. Like I have found a new appreciation for the old war/ battle paintings, depicting cavalry charging and such, from the 100 years war and other times, like a window in to the past and conjures all sorts of feelings of wonder at time spans, history, technology etc etc - for the same reasons even the dull boring portraits have become a bit more interesting, imagining how life was in the day and that. Wouldn't buy one to hang on the wall but not a bad bit of mental stimulation every now and then on the scroll through. With out the emails I'd probably never bother to wiggle through that area of the internet for research.

I like some bronze work too. Francis Derwent Wood is an interesting fellow from history and much under loved by the art world but has some great works around London. He was also a pioneering surgeon, pretty much inventing cosmetic surgery to patch up the war wounded, and was an inventor also. One of those Great Britons the nation seems to have forgotten about.

Some of the classic landscapes are delightful too for above reasons of glimpse back in time but also their physical beauty. Not feeling the dreary sky's - but the Italian / med Coast and mountains.

Amazing really how "cheap" some seriously beautiful work are. £1000-4000 for the lesser known artists but still as beautiful as the more popular; many of which only get such hi prices because of the hype/ cornering of markets by big dealers, which the super wealthy then buy in to as a status symbol. But a beautiful piece from 16or 17 hundreds at say 2 grand, is like 10£ a year for its existence. Just the age is astounding.

Loving quality the antique furniture too. Colonial style; not that naff Louis bling. The Chinese influenced or made rosewood with the inlaid mother of pearl are amazing but seriously expensive these days. The colonial and European good solid pieces are really rather good value. Chatting to a few dealers in England; the markets collapsed after the financial crises, no buyers and mountains of sellers- elderly selling the family airlooms to raise cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Can't say I like the piles of bricks and unmade beds either.

Damien Hurst with the cows and sharks were at least something unusual to look at. I'd rate him above the bricks any day - but still close to the very bottom of the art talent scales.

During A-level art I enjoyed the Abstract genre- mostly because it was quite easy to create big pictures looking reasonably decent. Abstract, modern etc is really the art for the less talented if I'm honest. Never could you put these people in the same groups as the old masters. Even the 3grand obscurity guys from the old days have buckets more talent than all of these modern jokers put together.

mccw,

Thing is, it turns out none of us down here in the photo lab know anything about art. So words are meaningless to us. We try to imagine but can't get past apertures and exposure times.

Could you be a dear and post examples? Search in Google Images and post links stating the artists name and the genre or style of art.

So far I've seen building supplies, a medicine cabinet and taxidermy. Really struggling here.

• Like 1

There is a problem with the app. It's stopped letting me post pictures- says my privacy settings need changing, but then in privacy settings it doesn't show TV on the app list. Really annoying coz I want to join in the photo postings across other threads too.

So maybe you try google some of these words and see if anything you like and post some pics and details here.

Try:

Abstract art

Surrealist art

Impressionist art

- Old masters (the turtles)

Leonardo

Michelangelo

Raphael

Donatello

I'm not great at remembering all the names and dates of who, what, this and that. But I like looking at the images. Following the links through wiki and then further on google gives hours of interesting wandering.

Enjoy

• Like 1

To my shame I only know two things about art.... nothing, and fark oil. However I did enjoy the trompe l'oeil exhibition in Chiang Mai "Art in Paradise". We took a small group of school kids there in September, and they had a good time too....

post-153732-0-57237100-1390727605_thumb.

The exhibition is/was on Changklan Road in CM.

post-153732-0-71877200-1390727593_thumb.

She finally snapped...

post-153732-0-14201300-1390727596_thumb.

post-153732-0-95188300-1390727597_thumb.

There were many more exibits, obviously, and I am sure a good photographer would be able to capture some far better shots....and ideally without a bunch of rugrats running around photobombing almost every shot!

Mai bpen rai...it was still a fun afternoon out!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...