Thais opt for prayers, parties to see in 2014

webfact

Thais opt for prayers, parties to see in 2014
The Nation

30223284-05_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As an alternative to celebrate the New Year, temples nationwide offer "cross-year Buddhist prayer" for people who like to attend for good luck, while many others celebrated with friends and loved ones in cities or tourist destinations.

Acting Supreme Patriarch and abbot of Wat Paknam Bhasicharoen, Phra Maharajamangkhalajahn, yesterday granted a New Year blessing to the Thai public in rhyme, which in summary wished all to be happy and united.

The revered monk also urged people to practice self-control, seek knowledge, be kind to and unite with one another in society, perform their duties and be loyal so they could succeed, be happy and prosper in life.

Phra Maharajamangkhalajahn also said the Sangha Supreme Council had resolved that Buddhist temples in Thailand and abroad would host "cross-year prayer" last night and early today. Bangkok's Wat Paknam Bhasicharoen and Wat Saket (Golden Mountain), as well as Buddhamonthon Buddhist Park in Nakhon Pathom were centres for such activity in Greater Bangkok.

Elsewhere, provincial head monks' temples would be centres for such mindful activity.

The council also added the full "seven legends" prayer and the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta into the "cross-year prayer" programme for all temples to use, to enhance auspicious omens and help protect people from harm, he explained.

Amulets for the devoted

Many Bangkok temples planned to hand out amulets to participants. Wat Saket in Pom Prap area was due to hand out 100,000 "Luang Por Doungdee" amulets, holy water and talisman cloth, while Wat Thewarat Kunchorn in Dusit planned to hand out "Phra Kring Yai Thewarat" amulets, and Wat Nai Rong in Bangkok Noi was due to hand out "Bia Kae" talismans.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra posted on her Facebook, Twitter and Instagram a New Year 2014 message to wish Thais to re-unite and love each other and those with differences of opinion, belief and political ideology to turn to each other and talk to seek peaceful solutions for the country.

She affirmed she would work with determination and patience despite the anti-government protest, vowing to work hard to create unity and reconciliation while also protecting national, religious and monarchy institutions.

She also prayed for the power of the Buddhist Three Gems (Buddha, Dharma, Sangha) and the power of Their Majesties the King and Queen to keep the country at peace and to protect all Thais to be safe and healthy and have their wishes fulfilled.

Meanwhile, many opted to usher in the New Year at "countdown party" sites such as Bangkok's Central World Plaza and Asiatique, plus Phuket and Pattaya. Others braved winter chills in the North and Northeast to celebrate amid nature and mountains.

The atmosphere at Chaiyaphum's Phu Lankha National Park, featuring a prehistoric stone garden dubbed "Thailand's Stonehenge", was buzzing with over 20,000 campers setting up tents. It was so crowded many were forced to camp along a one-kilometre stretch of road to the mountaintop camping site.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-01

Is it really 14 years since I saw in the millennium on Lanta, watching the waves breaking on Long Beach with a head full of acid? It feels like yesterday. Ha! - the mysterious accelerating years....

Edited by retsdon

The revered monk also urged people to practice self-control, seek knowledge, be kind to and unite with one another in society, perform their duties and be loyal so they could succeed, be happy and prosper in life.

I feel a change in the air already.

Is it really 14 years since I saw in the millennium on Lanta, watching the waves breaking on Long Beach with a head full of acid? It feels like yesterday. Ha! - the mysterious accelerating years....

It appears that you are having a 1960s moment. If you remember it that vividly, you probably weren't there.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

Amulets for the devoted

Many Bangkok temples planned to hand out amulets to participants. Wat Saket in Pom Prap area was due to hand out 100,000 "Luang Por Doungdee" amulets, holy water and talisman cloth, while Wat Thewarat Kunchorn in Dusit planned to hand out "Phra Kring Yai Thewarat" amulets, and Wat Nai Rong in Bangkok Noi was due to hand out "Bia Kae" talismans.

More mass produced bits of mud or iron, the country is swamped with these silly amulets, then comes the pretty coloured cloth with the squiggly-wiggly drawings on them, they make great tablemats, and back to the "holy water" which is certainly plentiful isn't it, enough to throw on the roads even. Perhaps throwing ice cold "holy water" on the sleeping and drunk drivers might be a better use for it.

And the local natives will show up in their thousands whenever there's a free giveaway, they always do, its basically a something for nothing country at heart, think of oneself first and foremost and the rest can go to hell. Thailand is a country where one buys salvation in the next life, one doesn't need to earn by being good, its all about the power of money, ask any monk.

Edited by Hawk
  • Like 1

More mass produced bits of mud or iron, the country is swamped with these silly amulets, then comes the pretty coloured cloth with the squiggly-wiggly drawings on them, they make great tablemats, and back to the "holy water" which is certainly plentiful isn't it, enough to throw on the roads even. Perhaps throwing ice cold "holy water" on the sleeping and drunk drivers might be a better use for it.

And the local natives will show up in their thousands whenever there's a free giveaway, they always do, its basically a something for nothing country at heart, think of oneself first and foremost and the rest can go to hell. Thailand is a country where one buys salvation in the next life, one doesn't need to earn by being good, its all about the power of money, ask any monk.

What a negative attitude to start the new year with, this statement can only be from a very bitter person, who obviously doesn't understand the Thai culture, nor respect it, it is only his/ her culture that is right and no other culture will suffice, This kind of attitude has led to many bitter wars and ethnic cleansing in the past.

• Like 2

What a negative attitude to start the new year with, this statement can only be from a very bitter person, who obviously doesn't understand the Thai culture, nor respect it, it is only his/ her culture that is right and no other culture will suffice, This kind of attitude has led to many bitter wars and ethnic cleansing in the past.

Yes I'm bitter and with very good reason, and I do understand the Thai culture very well indeed, and I am not interested in the culture of the country of my birth. Yes, I am technically at war with a single thieving person who I very much want to cleanse the Earth of.

I have had very little sleep in the last 36 hours, for the last day and a half, two sets of people have been having a noise-off, which of course is Thai culture, isn't it?

There are now two sets of loudspeakers on two different plots, with a man at each station still battling it out, if that is part of Thai culture, it sucks.

Happy New Year.

I have had very little sleep in the last 36 hours, for the last day and a half, two sets of people have been having a noise-off, which of course is Thai culture, isn't it?

There are now two sets of loudspeakers on two different plots, with a man at each station still battling it out, if that is part of Thai culture, it sucks.

Happy New Year.

You do have a choice of accepting their way of life, while you are a guest here. They certainly have no desire/need to accommodate your sensitivities. I see no changes on the horizon. Switzerland may be a quieter and more sensible place for you. There was on "blessing" I was invited too. Somehow, the organizers saw fit to hire two stages within 50 feet of each other. The dancing girls were fantastic, but the overwhelming loudness of the speakers on both stages (playing different songs simultaneously) actually drove me batty. The best I could do was to do a standard imitation of the Isaan dance, and drink myself stupid. That all seemed to work, as five girls started grabbing at me to dance with them. They must of admired my fortitude.

The best I could do was to do a standard imitation of the Isaan dance, and drink myself stupid.

So your a native already and fully into the Thai culture, dancing, singing, and getting drunk but just stick with the dancing and avoid driving otherwise you will become a Thai statistic as well.

• Like 1

My prayers are for peace, progress and prosperity in the magnificent Kingdom of Thailand in 2014.

wai2.gif

My prayers are for the earth to open up and swallow anyone with the name Shinewatra..... then the Thai people may have peace...wai2.gif

My prayers are for peace, progress and prosperity in the magnificent Kingdom of Thailand in 2014.

wai2.gif

then the Thai people may have peace...wai2.gif

Then, again I would doubt with certainty that the Thai people will ever have peace because there's always a replacement waiting for his chance to play the political game of power. I think we all need another beer or ten.

Or perhaps they do understand it........