Why do Monks do that?...

krisb

"without going into the teachings of Buddha" pretty much rules out any explanation!

Basically a monk's life is shaped by Buddhist teachings and cultural practices/responsibilities they have towards the laity who in turn provide their sustenance.

They do not, BTW, "worship" Buddha. They try to follow his teachings, or at least that is what they are supposed to be doing. Buddha died more than 2,500 years ago and is not existant in any form now so nothing to be "worshipped". His teachings however remain and that's the focus. Gestures of respect towards Buddha images are a sign of respect for the teachings and the universal law, not worship of a being past or present.

In the Theravada schools, which is what is in Thailand, monks are required to be celibate and to avoid even the appearance of sexual behavior, including situations which could give rise to rumors etc. So should not be alone with a woman and so forth. Thai Buddhism takes this to a great extreme i.e. not even taking anything directly from a woman but in other Theravada countries it is more relaxed and (to my eyes) sensible. Women can hand things to monks in Cambodia, for example.

Ironically, breaches of celibacy seem to be more common here than in countries which are more pragmatic about it.

Ahh ok, I am confusing what we in the west call worship when we go to church and worship Jesus. I just always assumed it was similar.

So is it a fine line between worship and following his teachings?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Food for thought. Buddhism is not a religion. Or maybe I should say they are atheist or at best agnostic. Men and women are not considered equal or if they say they are in their teachings it doesn't work that way in practice. Monks I have encountered seem to be non agressive so thats a plus.

And is there some Buddhist belief that women come back as a man in the next life? Do they think they have been punished in this life for that matter?

• Like 1

Every time they are called upon to attend a death, sickness, new home, shop opening or whatever. they depart with fistfulls of cash, Each monk seemingly has a price depending on his status in the wat.

I would like to know where all this money goes. It is never returned to the community, it should be more than enough for the monks to live on, yet they still seem to want more and more and expect the villagers to constantly put their hands in their pockets.

• Like 2

"without going into the teachings of Buddha" pretty much rules out any explanation!

Basically a monk's life is shaped by Buddhist teachings and cultural practices/responsibilities they have towards the laity who in turn provide their sustenance.

They do not, BTW, "worship" Buddha. They try to follow his teachings, or at least that is what they are supposed to be doing. Buddha died more than 2,500 years ago and is not existant in any form now so nothing to be "worshipped". His teachings however remain and that's the focus. Gestures of respect towards Buddha images are a sign of respect for the teachings and the universal law, not worship of a being past or present.

In the Theravada schools, which is what is in Thailand, monks are required to be celibate and to avoid even the appearance of sexual behavior, including situations which could give rise to rumors etc. So should not be alone with a woman and so forth. Thai Buddhism takes this to a great extreme i.e. not even taking anything directly from a woman but in other Theravada countries it is more relaxed and (to my eyes) sensible. Women can hand things to monks in Cambodia, for example.

Ironically, breaches of celibacy seem to be more common here than in countries which are more pragmatic about it.

Ahh ok, I am confusing what we in the west call worship when we go to church and worship Jesus. I just always assumed it was similar.

So is it a fine line between worship and following his teachings?

I wouldn't call it a fine line at all. More like worlds of difference.

However it is not uncommon among lay people, especially those with less education and little awareness of actual Buddhist teachings, to take going to the Wat and bowing to Buddha images as a superstitious ritual intended to bring good luck or something like that. Actually Buddhist teaching makes clear that there is no supernatural power that can help you and that it is only by your own efforts and how you live your life that better outcomes become possible.

But a monk would certainly know all this. As do more educated Thais and anyone who has actually studied Buddhist teachings.

• Like 2

Food for thought. Buddhism is not a religion. Or maybe I should say they are atheist or at best agnostic. Men and women are not considered equal or if they say they are in their teachings it doesn't work that way in practice. Monks I have encountered seem to be non agressive so thats a plus.

And is there some Buddhist belief that women come back as a man in the next life? Do they think they have been punished in this life for that matter?

Nothing of the sort in Buddhist teachings.

However it is not uncommon among lay people, especially those with less education and little awareness of actual Buddhist teachings, to take going to the Wat and bowing to Buddha images as a superstitious ritual intended to bring good luck or something like that. Actually Buddhist teaching makes clear that there is no supernatural power that can help you and that it is only by your own efforts and how you live your life that better outcomes become possible.

But a monk would certainly know all this. As do more educated Thais and anyone who has actually studied Buddhist teachings.

If there is no supernatural power to help the people and it only by ones personal efforts and good lifestyle that produces good outcomes, why does virtually the whole Thai population insist on merit making at the wat, and why are there 1 million monks trying to suggest differently to the people.

• Like 1

In 2007 I managed to do 5 nights temple time. It was very interesting, the wife didn't want me to go, as I might like it too much and stay. Basic rules, no talking, eating before mid-day & lots of meditation. Found it very relaxing, after 5 days I didn't want to go, found outside world scarey, but did quit my job of 25 years !

• Like 1

Are they forbidden to smoke ? My missus says not.

My buddy in Surin, is a monk, he goes in every year after the rice harvest, he lives in the small temple with a couple other young monks, when i get to speak with him (only in the rice season, outside that he doesnt use a phone) he tells me about times when he lives in the jungle and reflects on life, he has walked from Surin to Chaing Mai, staying in temples along the way.

He often tells me to come visit, they have a room for guests .. and emphasizes that they have PLENTY of food and i can do whatever i like.

If there is no supernatural power to help the people and it only by ones personal efforts and good lifestyle that produces good outcomes, why does virtually the whole Thai population insist on merit making at the wat, and why are there 1 million monks trying to suggest differently to the people.

"Making merit" is not a superstitious ritual. It is based on the laws of karma, i.e. do good and get (sooner or later) good results and vice versa.

Good lifestyle incorporates (indeed, is built on) doing good deeds.

• Like 2

Sheryl then what about the belief some monks can tell the future? Even in some temples putting the up coming lotto numbers up for all to use. I found that slightly confusing. Predicting the future and then incorporating it with gambling. Scratch my head!

They follow each other like sheep, they tow the party line, they collect money, they spout make believe and like all other religious type groups promise eternal life.....you dont need to know anymore.

Sheryl then what about the belief some monks can tell the future? Even in some temples putting the up coming lotto numbers up for all to use. I found that slightly confusing. Predicting the future and then incorporating it with gambling. Scratch my head!

Actually bragging of or displaying such powers (real or imaginary) is against the rules for monks so any monk doing so is in violation. A temple that actually does this on the scale you describe is seriously in the wrong. It does happen. It's not Buddist, indeed it is very much contrary to Buddhist teachings and the code of conduct for monks.

Uneducated Thais persist in believing monks can tell the future and will often read such meanings into sermons that have nothing to do with it.

"Making merit" is not a superstitious ritual. It is based on the laws of karma, i.e. do good and get (sooner or later) good results and vice versa.

I disagree, do good does not mean in anyway it will come back to you, I saw some tests done once on this where ( excuse my vagueness) they did a game that by if you shared all the pieces between two people you would get more overall by sharing, but if you were selfish and kept yours you would get less, some people shared many didnt ,selfish wins

You can do bad things all your life and get away with it, it will not come back to haunt you necessarily. Ask Jimmy Savile for one.

Id like to see some proof for the "laws" of Karma?

• Like 1

Even if you are not religious, I think respect for other people's beliefs is important.

Why?
Respect.

Respect is the action, not the reason for it.

You wouldn't respect the belief of someone who believes they are a chicken sandwich would you?

• Like 2

Even if you are not religious, I think respect for other people's beliefs is important.

Why?
Respect.

You wouldn't respect the belief of someone who believes they are a chicken sandwich would you?

Unfortunately these days "yes" respect for a no proof, no matter how daft, no matter it defies physics etc" idea, ..... but you "must" have respect.

You cannot prove I'm not a chicken sandwich disguised as a human.wink.png

"belief" nothing more..

• Like 1

Why?
Respect.

Especially this belief, is the crux, notmyself.

I have grown to be able to respect even a plain, poorly presented, toasted white bread.

• Like 2

For foreigner info, most thai people know little to nothing about teachings of Buddha, but are certainly accustomed to the superstitious influence of Buddhism as a religion that has been damaged by society. Mostly it's about gathering money from people trained to be superstitious, and for a large part, it's about people who need a "break" from life's usual difficulties and spend time at a temple with no particular stressors. When they finish, they typically go right back to previous situation. This I know by direct observation of many acquaintances and conversations with the corresponding people. Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Theravada Buddhism isn't "superstitious".

You're confusing it with animism, which Buddhism supposedly replaced, but still has an influence here among many people.

Show me any religion without superstition and dogma

I thought religion was off topic, Like prostitution, etc? Anyway, monks, among other things, do what many ministers of faith do --- take your money . I met seven of them in California. I know some of their workings. It is also public knowledge.

OP gets many P's.

Why?
Respect.

I would think your deliciously crazy, but I would out of respect, respect your choice to think you are whatever you want to be, from one human to another.

I get your drift,surely you get mine, let's get back to topic..

Google it. You can at least learn much about Buddhism. Wikipedia covers it quite well, however Thai Buddhist monasteries and the lives and duties of monks often reach far beyond the teachings of the master.

As you will find out, with enough time spent here. wai.gif

I would think your deliciously crazy, but I would out of respect, respect your choice to think you are whatever you want to be, from one human to another.

I get your drift,surely you get mine, let's get back to topic..

Same circular reasoning. You describe the action, not the reason. Rather than explain the reason you just insert an additional 'respect'.... "out of respect".

I see the OP knows little about the reasons or the customs. Do a little mor research before you post your opinions.

Yes, it does seem that flaunting one's ignorance in an attempt to trivialize what you don't comprehend ought not to be considered a triumph of intellect.

When_Did_Ignorance_Become_A_Point_Of_Vie

It does seem that Thai Buddhism bashing is becoming quite popular here at the hub of the brain dead, despite the forum rules.

If it would be your aim to become a buddhist, you would have a looooooong road in front of you.

If it would be your aim to become a thai buddhist or a troll, you can relax: you would have reached your goal ages ago already.

• Like 2

What about monks blessing red shirts and suthep? Not agressive?