Ford Ranger 2000 2.5 turbo diesel poor cold starting?

MYKTHEMIN

I have a 2000 2.5 turbo diesel ford ranger and it has just become very difficult to start when cold, starts instantly once warm. To start when cold I have to keep cranking it with the starter for maybe 30 seconds or more, eventually it fires up, running very rough for a minute or so with clouds of black smoke, then all is well untill the next morning, any expert with an idea how to cure this, there is power to the glowplugs and they were renewed about 2 years ago.

Try cycling the glow plugs.

Turn the key on to heat the glow plugs, when the light goes out turn the key off and then on again and then once more.

Three heating cycles and the truck will fire right up. If not your glow plugs aren't working properly

It's a trick we use in winter in Canada to start any diesel engine that's been sitting.

I've got a 30 year old jeep that I do that to and it starts every time.

The rough running and black smoke is just excess diesel burning off that got pumped in when cranking for a longer time than usual

Edited by kwonitoy
  • Like 1

Well thanks for all the tips lads, fitted a new battery 3 weeks ago so no that was not the problem, so yesterday fitted 4 new glowplugs and a new fuel filter, now starts after the 3 cycle glowplug tip and runs fine hot and cold.

Happy New Year everyone.

Well thanks for all the tips lads, fitted a new battery 3 weeks ago so no that was not the problem, so yesterday fitted 4 new glowplugs and a new fuel filter, now starts after the 3 cycle glowplug tip and runs fine hot and cold.

Happy New Year everyone.

Many batteries sales are unnecessary all over the world. It never was a battery problem from the symptoms you described.

Shouldn't need to cycle the heater plugs in Thailand. The poster that mentioned that is referring to starting diesels that have been stood for periods of time in maybe -20*C, in Canada.

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone.

Many batteries sales are unnecessary all over the world. It never was a battery problem from the symptoms you described.

Shouldn't need to cycle the heater plugs in Thailand. The poster that mentioned that is referring to starting diesels that have been stood for periods of time in maybe -20*C, in Canada.

Over Christmas it was 7 - 9 degrees C in the morning at my place, up between Udon Thani and Nong Khai.

My 30 year old Jeep which has a very old style 2.5 L Toyota wouldn't start unless I did cylce the plugs. The glow plugs are all working properly BTW

My newer Hilux and Brand new Ford start at the turn of a key, don't even look at the glow plug light

The older diesels aren't quite as refined as the modern ones.

When the temp is over 25 C it's not required.

Happy New Year everyone.

Over Christmas it was 7 - 9 degrees C in the morning at my place, up between Udon Thani and Nong Khai.

My 30 year old Jeep which has a very old style 2.5 L Toyota wouldn't start unless I did cylce the plugs. The glow plugs are all working properly BTW

My newer Hilux and Brand new Ford start at the turn of a key, don't even look at the glow plug light

The older diesels aren't quite as refined as the modern ones.

When the temp is over 25 C it's not required.

I agree 100% my Ranger is an old one with over 260000kms the battery was over 5 years old and on its last legs and the starting problem finished it off, the temp here has also been in single figures, Loei, and the recycle of the glow plugs makes all the differance and it starts and runs very well now, so I am a happy chappie! my Pajero Sport starts instantly with no glowplug light but it is a relatively new engine design.

Glow plugs.........

I guess you are asking about Glow Plugs, you never heard of them blink.png

Diesel engines do not use a spark plug to fire up like petrol engines instead the air is compressed in the cylinders and diesel is injected at high pressure to generate the heat and make the bang.

Glow plugs are small heaters in the cylinders that help the diesel fuel to ignite inside the cylinder when its a cold.

biggrin.png

• 9 months later...

I have the same truck as the OP and also having the same problem. Difficult to start when the engine is cold. Starts easy when it's warm.

I recently changed the glow plugs. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and the problem still exists. The battery is fine.

Post #3 suggested a "fuel system flush." How do you say " fuel system flush" in Thai.

Any other suggestions?

I have now sold the ford, the problem was the relay timer for the glow plugs and ford wanted nearly 10000 for a new one, what a rip off??? Just got a new Toyota 2.5 4 x 4 Smart cab and very happy so far. and Toyota gave me over 200000 for the old ford in part exchange, deal of the century as far as I was concerned.

I have the same truck as the OP and also having the same problem. Difficult to start when the engine is cold. Starts easy when it's warm.

I recently changed the glow plugs. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and the problem still exists. The battery is fine.

Post #3 suggested a "fuel system flush." How do you say " fuel system flush" in Thai.

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE:

I decided to check the glow plugs and the tip on one of them was bent really bad. I changed it and it starts fine now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have now sold the ford, the problem was the relay timer for the glow plugs and ford wanted nearly 10000 for a new one, what a rip off??? Just got a new Toyota 2.5 4 x 4 Smart cab and very happy so far. and Toyota gave me over 200000 for the old ford in part exchange, deal of the century as far as I was concerned.

You can usually tell if the relay is on the way out because the glow plug light tends to go out almost immediately , even when cold, instead of staying on for 10+ seconds as it did before.

Anyway, matters not now. Thanks for remembering to come back and update us, few do that.

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE:

I decided to check the glow plugs and the tip on one of them was bent really bad. I changed it and it starts fine now.

That's worrying. What's been in the cylinder to bend it?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can usually tell if the relay is on the way out because the glow plug light tends to go out almost immediately , even when cold, instead of staying on for 10+ seconds as it did before.

Anyway, matters not now. Thanks for remembering to come back and update us, few do that.

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE:

Sorry, I have no idea what's been in the cylinder to bend it.

Any other suggestions?

UPDATE:

Update:

A Thai friend of mine looked at the old glow plug and told me that it was "not correct glow plug" for my Ford Ranger.

The box the glow plugs came in are labeled as "Ford Genuine Service Parts," but they were purchased from a mom and pop shop for 120 baht each. Thai friend said they are cheap knockoffs, which will last six months at best.

He advised me to go and buy glow plugs from the Ford Dealership at a cost of 700 baht each.

I followed his advice and replaced the knockoff glow plugs. The difference is night and day. The engine sounds very different, idles very smooth and starts super easy.

Attached is a scanned copy of the box for the genuine and knockoff glow plugs.

Hopefully, this post will come in handy for someone else in the future.

post-125679-0-85035800-1415149314_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks for the follow-up but 120/plug?

That should have raised a red flag right off ;-)

I'm American. I've never owned a diesel powered vehicle before........never even heard of a glow plug. We use spark plugs.

My friend laughed when I told him 120/plug.

I'm selling the truck, so I wanted to tune it up before doing so. I'll be moving back to America.