Chonburi To Hua Hin Ride

Jonny B

im thinking to ride from chonburi city to hua hin on the 12th Jan if anybody is interested it would be great to have some company especially if you know the best route. Ive been trying to figure it out but a bit confused by conflicting info. Anybody done it recently and can confirm the best route? i cant even pinpoint on google maps where the ferry is over the Chao Praya River?

im 32, australian riding a kawasaki vulcan custom n happy to ride with anyone so msg me if interested. il be in hua hin the whole week for the Kings Cup Golf Tournament.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps.

Bikes are not allowed but normally there are no cops; if there are some they'll wait at the exit where's mostly no space to escape. The last 10 times I webt there there where none... Just prepare the 100 for case. Or like highwayrida mentioned take the ferry.

Be sure you stay on the frontage road when coming out from chonburi to bang na trat then turn left where the samut prakarn sign. Continue the old sukumvit about 30 km then turn left again through samut prakarn old town. Then left again onto pu chap saming which will end at the bridge or ferry.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks mate il hav another look at the map. Are bikes allowed on that bridge? If not whats the chances of being stopped? Cheers Sent from my GT-I8190N using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've been riding over it regularly since it opened and I've only seen 2 police checks where I was summoned to stop which I was able to pass easily both times and 1 very serious block where they stopped all the traffic, put out cones etc. but fortunately I was in a taxi that time. You take your chances. Coming from Rama III the only alternative crossing the river is Bangkok Bridge to Ratburana which is a long detour.

Roads / bridges and flyovers that don't allow bikes seriously piss me off. I often take flyovers that don't allow bikes and know I will have to pay if caught. But i really don't understand why motorcycles are not allowed there. I can see the logic of not allowing those foodcarts with a motorbike attached to it.

The Thai laws regarding motorbikes should definitively change now that there are so many big bikes.

could someone who known the exact location on the ferry terminal point it out for me on google maps please as im struggling to find it. cheers

Just ride until the end of phu chao saming rd. the road is ending at the ferry. If you continue you will ride into the chao praya river.

Edited by Hili
  • Like 1

could someone who known the exact location on the ferry terminal point it out for me on google maps please as im struggling to find it. cheers

Just ride until the end of phu chao saming rd. the road is ending at the ferry. If you continue you will ride into the chao praya river.

Tell me. I've been to phuket once with a cruiser several years ago and took the prapha daeng ferry.

As we reached the the ferry we rode right down the ramp as the ferry departed, my mate just got on the ferry but I was left half way the ramp.

Can you imagine standing half way a 45 ° ramp with a 350Kg bike + load with only water below ?

I can, still have nightmares about sometime.

Tell me. I've been to phuket once with a cruiser several years ago and took the prapha daeng ferry.

As we reached the the ferry we rode right down the ramp as the ferry departed, my mate just got on the ferry but I was left half way the ramp.

Can you imagine standing half way a 45 ° ramp with a 350Kg bike + load with only water below ?

You should've gunned it and jumped the ramp onto the ferry, punched out the boat master, grabbed the nearest wench for a quickie and then roared off the other side- sportbike stylee.

Sorted! ;-)

You should've gunned it and jumped the ramp onto the ferry, punched out the boat master, grabbed the nearest wench for a quickie and then roared off the other side- sportbike stylee.

Sorted! ;-)

You can't hide behind you're avatar any longer. It's obvious to all now that you are actually Steve McQueen thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I live right next to the Bhumibol bridge & see bikes riding over it all the time.. also ride across it myself.. never noticed a 'no bikes' sign although I usually pay no attention to them & take the high road whenever I can anyway!

To the OP.. I am riding to Hua Hin either Wednesday or Friday this week.. which day are you planning on riding back?

• Like 1

Just got back last night from the ride. It was pretty simple and the roads were great, especially once over the side of the river. The ferry is very easy and dont worry about previous comment of the ramp, they may have changed the ferry as the one i took has no ramp that goes up or down, you just drive on and off, ramp stays in one place. 20 baht for ferry on the way over and 10 on the way back. I found it very useful to look on google maps to see the rough distances to all the turnoffs and take pictures of what the turnoffs look like just incase. Took 5 hours easy riding with few stops on the way down and 4 hours on the way back with only 2 quick stops, both going and coming back on a sunday.

• Like 2

Roads / bridges and flyovers that don't allow bikes seriously piss me off. I often take flyovers that don't allow bikes and know I will have to pay if caught. But i really don't understand why motorcycles are not allowed there. I can see the logic of not allowing those foodcarts with a motorbike attached to it.

The Thai laws regarding motorbikes should definitively change now that there are so many big bikes.

I agree that the laws prohibiting bike bikes on some roads are outdated. But most traffic laws here are "enforced" for personal enrichment; not for protection of public safety or to facilitate improved traffic flow :)

And the BIB just love setting up the occasional roadblock just after a prohibited flyover or underpass to grab unsuspecting bikers, especially if there's a set of traffic lights just after.

They like to do this from the police box after the Rama III - Narathiwat flyover heading towards Khlong Toey as they have a clear line of sight. See a bike coming over, flip the lights to red and Robert's your father's brother. 200Bt. They tried to grab me last time but the re......, ahem, 'special' BIB they left operating the lights switched them to green just as the BIB stepped in front of me. Bye bye! 555!

I long for the day when one tries to chase me on his gay Boxer.