New Year, New Life

You say your agency will help you with your 2 year waiver and work permit. Do you have a B.A. degree? If you do not, there is no way the agency will be able to get you your waiver which you need to gain your work permit. A lot of agencies promise the world, then give you nothing.

No I do not have a B.A degree I'm afraid. I was just relaying what I read

You need to be careful if you don't have a degree as it is actually illegal to teach here if you don't. That's not to say that you will get thrown in jail as soon as you start work on your first day but the agency you have been dealing with haven't been totally straight with you if they have told you anything other than this.

Also, don't think that you would be the only foreigner here teaching without a degree as there are plenty doing just that. In fact, in the 3 schools I taught in, all of them had at least one foreigner teaching without a degree. One school even had 3 teachers without degrees, and for two of them, the school wrote a letter of recommendation that enabled the teachers in question to be granted work permits as they had been teaching at the school for quite a few years and were very good at their jobs. However, I do believe that the Thai authorities are going to crackdown on this kind of thing in the not to distant future.

Personally, I wouldn't teach in Thailand if I didn't have a degree. Not only is it illegal but you'll quickly find that most of the money you save from wages will soon be eaten up by visa runs every couple of months, which you could probably put up with for a year, maybe even two years at a push, but it's not a great life to live. Also, you said you would be teaching in Pattaya, I would guess (although I don't know) that the authorities would be much more likely to raid schools looking for illegal teachers in Pattaya than they would in some out of the way school in the provinces. You don't want to go to work everyday, looking over your shoulder wondering if today is the day your school will get raided.

Edited by pinkpanther99

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may want to read what the agency wrote carefully. I often get caught in the trap of people saying that I said that we would get them a visa and work permit when what I tell people is that we will assist qualified applicants in obtaining a visa and work permit.

It is illegal to work without a work permit, but there are a few ways of becoming a legal teacher without a degree, although I wouldn't count on that happening. Without a degree you can't get a Teacher's License and that closes off the most common avenue for teachers, but not the only one.

if the agency is good, they will assist you.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

And be careful of what dvds your students want you to play. For a relaxing final day at school, one boy brought me this cheap American movie about a two headed shark.

15 minutes into the usual surfer types going on a boat to a remote island to swim and dive, out come the tits of all the female casts, jumping up and down on the beach with excitement.

Quickly turned that one off!! P6 students.

You say your agency will help you with your 2 year waiver and work permit. Do you have a B.A. degree? If you do not, there is no way the agency will be able to get you your waiver which you need to gain your work permit. A lot of agencies promise the world, then give you nothing.

You need to be careful if you don't have a degree as it is actually illegal to teach here if you don't. That's not to say that you will get thrown in jail as soon as you start work on your first day but the agency you have been dealing with haven't been totally straight with you if they have told you anything other than this.

Also, don't think that you would be the only foreigner here teaching without a degree as there are plenty doing just that. In fact, in the 3 schools I taught in, all of them had at least one foreigner teaching without a degree. One school even had 3 teachers without degrees, and for two of them, the school wrote a letter of recommendation that enabled the teachers in question to be granted work permits as they had been teaching at the school for quite a few years and were very good at their jobs. However, I do believe that the Thai authorities are going to crackdown on this kind of thing in the not to distant future.

Personally, I wouldn't teach in Thailand if I didn't have a degree. Not only is it illegal but you'll quickly find that most of the money you save from wages will soon be eaten up by visa runs every couple of months, which you could probably put up with for a year, maybe even two years at a push, but it's not a great life to live. Also, you said you would be teaching in Pattaya, I would guess (although I don't know) that the authorities would be much more likely to raid schools looking for illegal teachers in Pattaya than they would in some out of the way school in the provinces. You don't want to go to work everyday, looking over your shoulder wondering if today is the day your school will get raided.

VERY good post, thanks for taking your time to write it

I was dubious about the legality I must say, so thank you for clearing that up. At the same time I am aware that many people do teach out there without. Your post combined with other things I have been reading tonight have really got me thinking. My outlook has changed some what but that still may change, the deciding factor will be once I'm there, in the class room once I gain confidence and decide if it is something I would like to continue doing.

If I really enjoy It, and really want to continue I shall dedicate myself to it, return home at some point and gain a degree here, then pursue my TCT. If I do not enjoy it, or decide its not for me yet I still enjoy it, I shall do it for a good while before deciding to come home. Once home I will get my ass to collage and university and train in something that will give me a bright future

Good point about Pattaya schools though, now you mention it, it sounds about right and rightfully so in all honesty

Thanks once again!!

You may want to read what the agency wrote carefully. I often get caught in the trap of people saying that I said that we would get them a visa and work permit when what I tell people is that we will assist qualified applicants in obtaining a visa and work permit.

It is illegal to work without a work permit, but there are a few ways of becoming a legal teacher without a degree, although I wouldn't count on that happening. Without a degree you can't get a Teacher's License and that closes off the most common avenue for teachers, but not the only one.

Best of luck.

Yea, correspondence only mentions "help in gaining", help could mean anything so I took that with a pinch of salt so to speak. Expectations are not high so I will not be disappointed

I hope I am wrong though!, I could turn up and the agency is good, and they are able and willing to help best they can.

Thanks for posting mate

And be careful of what dvds your students want you to play. For a relaxing final day at school, one boy brought me this cheap American movie about a two headed shark.

15 minutes into the usual surfer types going on a boat to a remote island to swim and dive, out come the tits of all the female casts, jumping up and down on the beach with excitement.

Quickly turned that one off!! P6 students.

Oh dear lol, I bet there was a roar of laughter right at that "moment" ;)

Best of luck.

A great post. 'If the agency is good.." Most of them aren't.-wai2.gif

VERY good post, thanks for taking your time to write it

I was dubious about the legality I must say, so thank you for clearing that up. At the same time I am aware that many people do teach out there without. Your post combined with other things I have been reading tonight have really got me thinking. My outlook has changed some what but that still may change, the deciding factor will be once I'm there, in the class room once I gain confidence and decide if it is something I would like to continue doing.

If I really enjoy It, and really want to continue I shall dedicate myself to it, return home at some point and gain a degree here, then pursue my TCT. If I do not enjoy it, or decide its not for me yet I still enjoy it, I shall do it for a good while before deciding to come home. Once home I will get my ass to collage and university and train in something that will give me a bright future

Good point about Pattaya schools though, now you mention it, it sounds about right and rightfully so in all honesty

Thanks once again!!

No worries. It would good if you could keep this thread updated with how you get on, could be a source of great info for others in a similar position.

Despite the degree/visa issues mentioned here , overall I taught in Thailand for 3 years and it was a great experience, I found out more about myself then probably at any other time in my life - it was a real life lesson, really character building.

Best of luck with it all

Edited by pinkpanther99

Thanks, I shall indeed keep this thread up to date, I agree with you

RE: Degree / Visa - So to clear things up, as I'm getting a little confused. To work legally I need a degree, then I need to aim for a TCT, correct?

I will be in a language school, which I read on another thread you do not need a degree nor license for? Is that correct?

Three years is a long time hey, what made you decide to pack it in? Fully agree it must be very character building and a fantastic experience!

RE: Degree / Visa - So to clear things up, as I'm getting a little confused. To work legally I need a degree, then I need to aim for a TCT, correct?

I will be in a language school, which I read on another thread you do not need a degree nor license for? Is that correct?

Three years is a long time hey, what made you decide to pack it in? Fully agree it must be very character building and a fantastic experience!

I'm not sure about language schools. Others on here will no doubt know. From what I understand, you need a BA degree to get a work permit. Not sure about a teachers license because I never had one.

I packed it in because I got offered a job doing something else. Like I said, I learnt a lot (probably much more than I ever taught any of the kids to be honest) and I'm glad I did it but I'm in no hurry to go back to teaching.

I'm not sure about language schools. Others on here will no doubt know. From what I understand, you need a BA degree to get a work permit. Not sure about a teachers license because I never had one.

I packed it in because I got offered a job doing something else. Like I said, I learnt a lot (probably much more than I ever taught any of the kids to be honest) and I'm glad I did it but I'm in no hurry to go back to teaching.

I read it on this recent thread here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686067-ive-got-a-degree-in-rocket-science/

I quote BM SlyAnimal,

"As some constructive advice though, universities and language schools don't require teachers licences, thus you can obtain a work permit there without a degree."

So it looks like I could be ok

I plan to do a TEFL course before I go in May, I was just reading about them and saw they have courses in Liverpool for £200, so I shall do that and get my TEFL certificate, cant hurt hey ;)

Yes, that is true. Language center and Universities don't require a teaching license that's what the Teacher Council in Thailand or Khurusapa told me last month.

Superb, thanks for clarifying that. So I will be all above board :). I want to ensure I can teach to the best of my ability "for the kids" so like I said I plan to do a TEFL course prior to leaving the UK. My visa will be sent near the time for me to take to the Thai embassy

Thanks a million once again mate

I read it on this recent thread here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686067-ive-got-a-degree-in-rocket-science/

I quote BM SlyAnimal,

"As some constructive advice though, universities and language schools don't require teachers licences, thus you can obtain a work permit there without a degree."

So it looks like I could be ok

I plan to do a TEFL course before I go in May, I was just reading about them and saw they have courses in Liverpool for £200, so I shall do that and get my TEFL certificate, cant hurt hey wink.png

Yes a TEFL is worth doing, I did mine with i to i, which was a combination of online and classroom. Worth doing for sure but I learnt more on the job from other teachers. And no matter how good the TEFL school tell you there course is, nothing can prepare you for that first day when you walk into the classroom and have 40 kids faces staring back at you! All part of the fun though!

1. Get your double entry tourist visa. Dont just turn up on a waiver. Even if your company say theyll help you out. Just do it. Itll give you six months.

2. You need a degree to work legally in thailand (unless youre a hooker - im sure theres some kind of 'entertainer' visa like they have in japan... then again, theyre not exactly starving for entertainers needing to be lured to the bright lights of kabuki-cho). As such youll want to maybe make sure you remove any and all references to your job, where youll be working and be very cautious about revealing any further personal information under this account now that you have. It just takes one idiot with a grudge, or one person doing their job and its game over.

3. Plenty of people work illegally though. Dont be too discouraged. But dont announce it to the world.

4. SMILE. No one expects a fresh off the boat genius teacher, but if you smile and your kids like you, you wont suck at your job.

5. You will however suck at your job. Dont sweat it too much. Just try and be professional enough to learn from your screw ups and improve.

6. You will speak too fast, you will go off on unnecessary tangents, you will use too much english and you will bore your kids. All fo these will be fixed in time.

7. Until you get a visa to work here your options in this industry are very very limited (unless you get married). So its PROBABLY not going to be a career for you. That being said, there are other countries that have less stringent requirements, they pay worse, but by some accounts seem perfectly good fun to live in. Enjoy it while it lasts but have cash kept by just in case Even if its just an empty credit card. Youre working illegally. You should be prudent enough to have a means to get the hell out and keep your nose clean. Dont worry, i had a friend who worked illegally for the two months he was teaching in thailand. He didnt intend to, but the process took so long that by the time he finally had the documents ready from his employer, hed already turned in his resignation and was taking a job elsewhere. No one ever bothered him about it.

8. Keep your tourist visa up to date and keep your passport with you just in case. Squeeky clean in every other sphere of life should mean no one bothers you in the more shady bits.

9. If you dont have a work visa and are employed illegally, your company has you over a barrel a bit. At any point they can decide "oh wait a minute! im sure you said you had a degree!" Accept this as the price of the ticket and try not to piss them off. A good start would be not announcing on a public expat forum that theyre hiring you to teach english knowing full well they cant provide you with a visa and thus looking at a possible investigation into their business should an aforementioned wrong person look at this thread.

10. An ex-employee of the company i was working for took a fit about people not having work visas. He had some chip on his shoulder about something. My gmail was spammed with all these threats about how he was going to the labor board about it and how we'd all be deported. Nothing ever happened because the honest to god truth of the matter is that people without degrees and work visas keep wages down and mean thai businesses can make money on selling private lessons. In turn we get more schools and can have more locations and choices on where to work. Lalallala! I assume thats the reason, because honest to god, its not exactly a secret. In Korea they have (in part thanks to lunatics like AES (anti-english spectrum)), old housewives asking for private classes running around to try and catch you moonlighting outside of your VERY restrictive visa. They even get a reward when they do. In thailand... wellllllll... not so much smile.pngRaids, if they happen are purely for the cameras. Institutionally they seem happy with things as they are.

11. I welcome all my illegal friends. You make me look awesome to be honest! But as someone else said, if youre teaching in rural isaan, no one is going to give a crap about your legality.

Edited by inutil

Good luck and I'm sure your past experience and positive attitude will help you get through some sticky moments.

I would advise taking a TEFL course whilst in Thailand.

Choose one that will allow you some exposure to a Thai classroom.

Although this will be less than 16 hours, it may prove invaluable.

I taught last year in a Government school in Isaan, an amazing and life changing experience.

Nothing can really prepare you totally for that first lesson, in front of 50 plus kids in a boiling, 3rd storey, cramped classroom.

But if I could get through that, you will be able to deal with a language school scenario.

I have a BA and completed a UK TEFL course plus a BKK based 4 week course.

But the only real practice you can get, is in a live classroom.

I'm currently back in UK and doing my Masters in Education right now.

My dad got very ill and we had to return, he is now in a dementia unit in Scotland, so I know how patient you probably are.

Your mileage may vary, but I have a feeling that it will get harder without a BA, though I hope you'll be okay.

Good luck matey and let us know how you get on smile.png

Edited by chonabot

1. Get your double entry tourist visa. Dont just turn up on a waiver. Even if your company say theyll help you out. Just do it. Itll give you six months.

2. You need a degree to work legally in thailand (unless youre a hooker - im sure theres some kind of 'entertainer' visa like they have in japan... then again, theyre not exactly starving for entertainers needing to be lured to the bright lights of kabuki-cho). As such youll want to maybe make sure you remove any and all references to your job, where youll be working and be very cautious about revealing any further personal information under this account now that you have. It just takes one idiot with a grudge, or one person doing their job and its game over.

3. Plenty of people work illegally though. Dont be too discouraged. But dont announce it to the world.

4. SMILE. No one expects a fresh off the boat genius teacher, but if you smile and your kids like you, you wont suck at your job.

5. You will however suck at your job. Dont sweat it too much. Just try and be professional enough to learn from your screw ups and improve.

6. You will speak too fast, you will go off on unnecessary tangents, you will use too much english and you will bore your kids. All fo these will be fixed in time.

7. Until you get a visa to work here your options in this industry are very very limited (unless you get married). So its PROBABLY not going to be a career for you. That being said, there are other countries that have less stringent requirements, they pay worse, but by some accounts seem perfectly good fun to live in. Enjoy it while it lasts but have cash kept by just in case Even if its just an empty credit card. Youre working illegally. You should be prudent enough to have a means to get the hell out and keep your nose clean. Dont worry, i had a friend who worked illegally for the two months he was teaching in thailand. He didnt intend to, but the process took so long that by the time he finally had the documents ready from his employer, hed already turned in his resignation and was taking a job elsewhere. No one ever bothered him about it.

8. Keep your tourist visa up to date and keep your passport with you just in case. Squeeky clean in every other sphere of life should mean no one bothers you in the more shady bits.

9. If you dont have a work visa and are employed illegally, your company has you over a barrel a bit. At any point they can decide "oh wait a minute! im sure you said you had a degree!" Accept this as the price of the ticket and try not to piss them off. A good start would be not announcing on a public expat forum that theyre hiring you to teach english knowing full well they cant provide you with a visa and thus looking at a possible investigation into their business should an aforementioned wrong person look at this thread.

10. An ex-employee of the company i was working for took a fit about people not having work visas. He had some chip on his shoulder about something. My gmail was spammed with all these threats about how he was going to the labor board about it and how we'd all be deported. Nothing ever happened because the honest to god truth of the matter is that people without degrees and work visas keep wages down and mean thai businesses can make money on selling private lessons. In turn we get more schools and can have more locations and choices on where to work. Lalallala! I assume thats the reason, because honest to god, its not exactly a secret. In Korea they have (in part thanks to lunatics like AES (anti-english spectrum)), old housewives asking for private classes running around to try and catch you moonlighting outside of your VERY restrictive visa. They even get a reward when they do. In thailand... wellllllll... not so much smile.pngRaids, if they happen are purely for the cameras. Institutionally they seem happy with things as they are.

11. I welcome all my illegal friends. You make me look awesome to be honest! But as someone else said, if youre teaching in rural isaan, no one is going to give a crap about your legality.

Thanks for your nice long answer, I always love reading long replies.

RE visa, my visa is all sorted out by the company. I was going to go out early so my company sent me all relevant (signed) visa papers, to take to the Thai counsel here in the UK.

(About 7 or 8 pages)

RE degree, I found this in another, recent thread. I quote

I shall be in a language school so the above should apply to me

Thanks again

Only 2 thoughts- just be careful that your agency doesn't send you to work at an actual school as they fall under the TCT rules which need the degree, and- it is possible to study online for a degree whilst working in Thailand, so you can live here, work and get a degree at the same time.

Good luck, I turned up with zero experience or training about 12 years ago, learnt on the job (which was indeed very hard at first) and am still here and happy.

Good luck and I'm sure your past experience and positive attitude will help you get through some sticky moments.

I would advise taking a TEFL course whilst in Thailand.

Choose one that will allow you some exposure to a Thai classroom.

Although this will be less than 16 hours, it may prove invaluable.

I taught last year in a Government school in Isaan, an amazing and life changing experience.

Nothing can really prepare you totally for that first lesson, in front of 50 plus kids in a boiling, 3rd storey, cramped classroom.

But if I could get through that, you will be able to deal with a language school scenario.

I have a BA and completed a UK TEFL course plus a BKK based 4 week course.

But the only real practice you can get, is in a live classroom.

I'm currently back in UK and doing my Masters in Education right now.

My dad got very ill and we had to return, he is now in a dementia unit in Scotland, so I know how patient you probably are.

Your mileage may vary, but I have a feeling that it will get harder without a BA, though I hope you'll be okay.

Good luck matey and let us know how you get on smile.png

Hey, I'm sure my previous job and my laid back, relaxed attitude will get me through sticky moments. Don't get me wrong I know it will not be easy, but I feel I have the right personality for the job. Time will tell

I do plan to do my TEFL course here in the UK prior to leaving. I know it's cheaper to do in Thailand but I would rather do it here. Perhaps I could do the same as you, and take another TEFL course while there, so I get a taste of a Thai class room.

Sorry to hear about your father as well mate! Dementia is indeed horrible hey

Extreme patience and understanding is required to care for dementia sufferers

Recall the past with him, as far back as you remember. He is more likely to recall the distant past than he is of recent years, but that depends on the type of dementia he has

With my own dementia hit residents I like to keep convocation flowing. If they say something that makes no sense, just go along with it, agree, reply with an answer that comes to your head that will make no sense either.

If he cannot get his words out during a convocation, try and quickly change the subject to something very simple

By doing so, it will keep him calm, he will not get as angry with himself because he cannot think or get his words out.

It's not easy, but by sticking to what I said above "in my experience" I guarantee your dad will be much more relaxed and talkative in your company

Countless times I have had families say to me "my mum or dad do not talk to me like they do to you"

90% of the time it's due to they way they talk to them, and the high expectation they still have

Hope he's ok matey, my parents are going to Scotland on Monday as a family member passed away last week

• Like 1

I haven't been through all the previous replies, so I'm probably repeating some things.

Where I work they will not consider anyone without a degree and a home country police check. (Exceptionally, for an older candidate with substantial teaching experience and no degree they may apply for a waiver.) New rules were introduced a couple of years or so ago, which maybe your agency is unaware of or pretending to be unaware of.

A TEFL certificate might help you demonstrate enough commitment to teaching for your employer to apply for a waiver, but it wouldn't be considered in the absence of a degree where I work.

A school in Pattaya was closed down last year and the foreign "co-owner" was deported for failing to work within the new regulatory framework. This is the only case that I'm aware of which has made the Thai English-language press.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but it might be an idea to have a plan B.

Good luck!

I haven't been through all the previous replies, so I'm probably repeating some things.

Where I work they will not consider anyone without a degree and a home country police check. (Exceptionally, for an older candidate with substantial teaching experience and no degree they may apply for a waiver.) New rules were introduced a couple of years or so ago, which maybe your agency is unaware of or pretending to be unaware of.

A TEFL certificate might help you demonstrate enough commitment to teaching for your employer to apply for a waiver, but it wouldn't be considered in the absence of a degree where I work.

A school in Pattaya was closed down last year and the foreign "co-owner" was deported for failing to work within the new regulatory framework. This is the only case that I'm aware of which has made the Thai English-language press.

I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but it might be an idea to have a plan B.

Good luck!

Hey mate, thanks for your reply

My post is in a Language school as apposed to a normal school, so a degree is not required I have been reliably informed :)

I think you might be mistaking a language school with a school that teaches the english language :) A language school is a school where you go to learn thai. Thus you get an ed visa (under threat by the way). Then again, i might just be mistaking things. And because i want you not to get in trouble im not going to press you on the matter so you have plausible deniability ;)

Good luck!

My post is in a Language school as apposed to a normal school, so a degree is not required I have been reliably informed smile.png

No. A waiver or teachers licence is not required.

Degree requirement will be upto the Immigration and Labour office that you use. Some want to see it and some don't.

Sorry to say, but this all looks a bit fishy to me. I have a feeling that you may be looking for a new job within the first 3 months.

Having said that, have the agency sent you any documents so that you can aquire a Non B visa before you travel?

Good luck!

My post is in a Language school as apposed to a normal school, so a degree is not required I have been reliably informed smile.png

Degree requirement will be upto the Immigration and Labour office that you use. Some want to see it and some don't.

Sorry to say, but this all looks a bit fishy to me. I have a feeling that you may be looking for a new job within the first 3 months.

Having said that, have the agency sent you any documents so that you can aquire a Non B visa before you travel?

As I was going to start earlier than expected, visa documentation was sent to me to acquire a non B visa, yes. And if possible to ask for multiple entries. Up to date documents will be sent near the time to take to the Thai embassy,

Good luck!

As I was going to start earlier than expected, visa documentation was sent to me to acquire a non B visa, yes. And if possible to ask for multiple entries. Up to date documents will be sent near the time to take to the Thai embassy,

There are several different categories of private language schools and training centres, and they also have been subject to new regulations, I think as of mid last year, but I could be wrong about the date. My understanding is that now all foreign teachers in any type of school require a degree or a waiver, but I could be wrong about this too, as there are several categories and the rules aren't necessarily the same for all. As long as the documents you provide are valid, I would think that you personally will be ok, even if the school does something a bit dodgy. For example, in the case I mentioned in Pattaya last year the teachers were not penalised because of the foreign "principal's" failure to comply with regulations. The only issue would probably be that your visa status would become invalid. Anyway, this is just anticipating a worst case scenario; a plan B is always useful :-)

I wouldn't be too pessimistic, but do be realistic. If your job doesn't work out, you will have experience both in the classroom and in the whole employment situation and you will most likely not find it difficult to get another job if you wish to stay.

• Like 2