Condo help

Fabulousheart

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You learn more from your mistakes than successes. There are still many options even in high

season. As mentioned, look on line, find a building/location you like. Look at the bulletin boards.

call the numbers, look at the units available, offer whatever the 12 month, monthly rate is for

the remainder of your trip. Tell them you want to move in tomorrow. Better they rent it now for

two months than let it sit empty. You have a place now so no pressure on you. As long as you

have a scooter and cell phone it should not be two difficult or take long. Best of luck.

You just buy an ant stick chalk for 20 thb & run the chalk around the borders of every room even on tiles or laminate......

you wake up the next day & they are all gone!!

the bugs hate the stuff if you want revenge just draw a circle with the chalk around a bunch of them.

The best thing is the seem to all die off as the ones that live infect the rest of the colony......ha.ha. 5555

The renting blind concept was stupid, I don't see you can claim much back in any form, the bug cure is known by all thai city condo dwellers.

Edited by gcrepos

1. Man, you screwed it up.

2. But: you have recognized, and you are not shy to confess. Very good.

3. If you see clear, you take a big braeth and leave them now with your fresh shopped belongings. You don't care of your deposit cause that's a very high chance they won't give back at all with their attitude. (lack of maintanance and cleanliness, pityful circumstances).

So, much better if you leave now and forget them. You have learnt something for your money.

ps: they are ants, but small type. Don't fight, you CAN'T defeat them at all (I have tried).

Edited by Loles

Move out but before you do do as much damage as you can xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

Yup

Soak everything in strong sugar solution (for the poor old mini ants)

Flush copious amounts of quick drying cement down all waste outlets

Roadkill behind ceiling tiles

& boogie on out

xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.pEtiH2upqe.webp

Not exactly the smartest advice, what the two poster (quoted) are suggesting takes this to a new level, "criminal damage", I doubt they could be traced and charged with "conspiracy to commit criminal damage" unlike the OP who the condo owner probably has a copy of his passport details.

Seems the OP was inexperienced in checking out the condo before signing on the dotted line, not sure how bad the infestation is but you will if you look hard enough find some insect infestation in any property, I know at Jomtien Beach Condominium they had a free pest control service, as I recall they had a professional in once a week or month, you just arranged at the office for them to call, the service was provided free because if infestations became established they become everybody's problem.

It's too late for this but a rule of thumb for me if considering a month or more is stay at the place for 3 or so days, this is if they have daily rates, as you should find most of the imperfections/issues then make your decision.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

29,000 baht a month for a condo? Hmm. For the last 12 years, I have rented a HOUSE. It's a large, high-ceilinged, split-level (detached) bungalow. Large L-shaped living room. Three bedrooms, two full bathrooms and a kitchen. Patio with sauna, carport with roof, verandah with balustrade. Reasonably large garden with several trees and other large plants and bushes. Built in 1994, solid as a rock. I nailed all the ants in the first year.

The whole is in a gated, middle-class village and costs me 48,000 baht - A YEAR!!!

This is THAILAND, not Britain. Some people have more money than sense...

The only thing that I have found which eliminates the ants are ARS ANT KILLER traps. They are sold in all of the supermarkets.

A photo of the package you will be looking for can be found at http://www.amazon.com/ARS-Killer-Bait-Eradicate-Ants/dp/B008MLAF7C

Spread them around anywhere where you have seen ants and in 24 hours, the ants are gone.

I don't think these traps work on the tiny ants I believe the OP is plagued by.

Sugar ants, the type that appear when there is something sweet or even a dead fly for them to eat.

I use a cavity spray, but first backtrack them to see where they are coming from, some little hole some-place that can be sprayed into then blocked.

And thanks for the tip there about adding a bit of sugar to the traps! I use them for the red 'fire-ants'.

Sorry the OP is having such a miserable time because of a bad renter!

Well, they work well for me. The tiny ants were into everything - can't tell you how many food items we had to throw out because of them.

Tried sprays, etc., and they were gone for a few days but then returned with reinforcements.

I saw a post on TV which mentioned the ARS traps, and figured I would try them, since everything else seemed to be temporary. Put them in places where we had had problems and bingo - no more ants.

I have about half a dozen spread out in various places, and change them about once per month because the yellow poison crystals coagulate in the humidity.

Well I get a lot of those outside, not in, so I will try again.

They didn't seem to be attracted to whatever was in there unlike the fire ants.

But I didn't add sugar.

Are they big enough to carry the pellets of poison?

If they just take the sugar hardly any affect surely.

I just use part of the contents of the packet of the poison pellets and close and seal the packet.... refilling the plastic trap when empty.

The only thing that I have found which eliminates the ants are ARS ANT KILLER traps. They are sold in all of the supermarkets.

A photo of the package you will be looking for can be found at http://www.amazon.com/ARS-Killer-Bait-Eradicate-Ants/dp/B008MLAF7C

Spread them around anywhere where you have seen ants and in 24 hours, the ants are gone.

I don't think these traps work on the tiny ants I believe the OP is plagued by.

Sugar ants, the type that appear when there is something sweet or even a dead fly for them to eat.

I use a cavity spray, but first backtrack them to see where they are coming from, some little hole some-place that can be sprayed into then blocked.

And thanks for the tip there about adding a bit of sugar to the traps! I use them for the red 'fire-ants'.

Sorry the OP is having such a miserable time because of a bad renter!

Well, they work well for me. The tiny ants were into everything - can't tell you how many food items we had to throw out because of them.

Tried sprays, etc., and they were gone for a few days but then returned with reinforcements.

I saw a post on TV which mentioned the ARS traps, and figured I would try them, since everything else seemed to be temporary. Put them in places where we had had problems and bingo - no more ants.

I have about half a dozen spread out in various places, and change them about once per month because the yellow poison crystals coagulate in the humidity.

Well I get a lot of those outside, not in, so I will try again.

They didn't seem to be attracted to whatever was in there unlike the fire ants.

But I didn't add sugar.

Are they big enough to carry the pellets of poison?

If they just take the sugar hardly any affect surely.

I just use part of the contents of the packet of the poison pellets and close and seal the packet.... refilling the plastic trap when empty.

The only ones I had to deal with were the really tiny ones on countertops; cleaned the counters multiple times each day, sprays, etc., - nothing worked for very long. Put these out, added a few sugar granules to each to attract and within 24 hours, we never saw an ant again. Never saw any ants carrying the poison back to the mothership, but whatever they did, the ants were gone. No idea how they would work with any other ants or insects.

They do lose their effectiveness after about a month, and the yellow poison granules start to stick together, so I just change them on the 1st of each month.

They do lose their effectiveness after about a month, and the yellow poison granules start to stick together, so I just change them on the 1st of each month.

Right, I will keep that in mind. although I never see them inside.

Maybe because AT LAST I have got the wife to stop leaving out food items, and I don't buy the sugary mouthwash as I found that attracted them.

I have someone come and spray the house monthly and they do the floor/walls corners and seems to keep my problems down.

I get those traps out when I find fire ants... nasty buggers, normally a big nest pops up in the garden.

Edited by jacko45k

29,000 baht a month for a condo? Hmm. For the last 12 years, I have rented a HOUSE. It's a large, high-ceilinged, split-level (detached) bungalow. Large L-shaped living room. Three bedrooms, two full bathrooms and a kitchen. Patio with sauna, carport with roof, verandah with balustrade. Reasonably large garden with several trees and other large plants and bushes. Built in 1994, solid as a rock. I nailed all the ants in the first year.

The whole is in a gated, middle-class village and costs me 48,000 baht - A YEAR!!!

Your location is where? I suspect it is vastly different from that of the OP's short term rental.

Your location is where? I suspect it is vastly different from that of the OP's short term rental.

Please tell I'm curious as well.

OP,you have given us a very little info,so our response or accuracy will be limited.It's obvious that you rented a 1bedroom or double room, which is about 66 sq.m.It's obvious to me,but not obvious to most BM.Stil paying 29,000 Baht is too much for a 1br.

InVT1.

Well-spotted. When I first read the original post I thought the OP was talking about a studio. I re-read the post when replying and still thought that he was talking about a studio. Looking at it again I can see that he was indeed talking about a two-unit one-bed condo, not least because he refers to "one of the aircons". I dont know why this wasn't clearer from the beginning.

So 29K in high season isnt quite so far over the top as one would initially have thought. Still high though for VT1, as you say, and for that price one would expect top quality all-round in that building.

Yes, but is your house in the centre of Jomtien a couple of minutes walk from the beach, on a main bahtbus route and in close proximity to many shops and restaurants, next door to the main airport bus station and with the use of a very large pool? And do you have a sea view?

Probably not.

Ok update I have gone out and looked at numerous condos all over pattaya. Most are by far superior to the view Talay unit I am renting. I think I have found the perfect one and hope to finalize everything next week. I now know I will stay in hotel and look for a unit in the future. I have begun the dialogue with the current condo agent who is Russian. The property is owned by a fin I believe. I have asked first if he has any better quality units to try to save my security deposit of 25,000b but I have little hope. He did recommend one place which I looked at a unit in but here is the thing they are building a new development right next to the. Unit so it would be non stop construction noise,no view and not in a very good location.

Thank you for advice.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Are they sold in supermarkets in Thailand, or do I have to get them from Amazon? If the latter, Amazon may not ship to Thailand.

I buy them at Best Supermarket at Dolphin Circle, but I would imagine that Foodland, Big C, perhaps even HomePro and HomeWorks will sell them.

WaywardWind

Thanks for mentioning ARS ant killer, I`ll buy some time time I`m at Best, don`t get many ants but a few so should help.

Cheers.

Ok update I have gone out and looked at numerous condos all over pattaya. Most are by far superior to the view Talay unit I am renting. I think I have found the perfect one and hope to finalize everything next week. I now know I will stay in hotel and look for a unit in the future. I have begun the dialogue with the current condo agent who is Russian. The property is owned by a fin I believe. I have asked first if he has any better quality units to try to save my security deposit of 25,000b but I have little hope. He did recommend one place which I looked at a unit in but here is the thing they are building a new development right next to the. Unit so it would be non stop construction noise,no view and not in a very good location. Thank you for advice. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Indeed, adjacent construction can be brutally brain rattling. You won't be here that long, but for extended stays you also have to be wary of nearby vacant lots or rundown buildings that look ripe for demolition. Labor is cheap, regulations are negligible and they will build just for the hell of it. You may not see the need for another strip of nail salons, massage shops and noodle purveyors, but plenty of Thai with baht enough to lay some slab and slam up some walls will.

Also, look out for roosters cutting loose from 03:00 on, chained and caged dogs going insane, barking 24/7, and slap-up Karaoke bars. The Thai (pretty much most of SE Asia) consider those sleep-deprivers to be background noise of the normal sort (seems like).

Are they sold in supermarkets in Thailand, or do I have to get them from Amazon? If the latter, Amazon may not ship to Thailand.

I buy them at Best Supermarket at Dolphin Circle, but I would imagine that Foodland, Big C, perhaps even HomePro and HomeWorks will sell them.

WaywardWind

Thanks for mentioning ARS ant killer, I`ll buy some time time I`m at Best, don`t get many ants but a few so should help.

Cheers.

You're welcome.

Print a decent picture off the internet of the ARS traps to take with you - I find it helpful when trying to find something specific to have a picture handy. Helps when the staff don't have a clue what you are describing.

I have read half of the responses and can only offer this two options as sound advice ...

Stay for the lease period and put it down to experience.

Move out and forfeit your security deposit.

A couple of comments earlier you may wish to ignore ....

The Landlord nailed you .... incorrect, you signed the lease, you were the one nailed.

Someone mentioned about crapping on the floor etc .. before you leave , DON'T do this .. this comment can only be taken as foolish and very immature.

There's nothing to stop you just packing your bags and walking off, but you'll lose your 25K Baht deposit. That sounds like a better option than staying a further two months in a dirty, bug-infested dump which will cost you 58K Baht in rent.

If you are only here for 3 months, then I totally agree with this Gentleman. Why spoil your trip over something like that? The Eastiny on Soi 7 can give you a good clean room for a month (or 3) at that price (with some negotiation for a monthly rate) and no deposit. In the Center of the action, with Internet. Cable TV, and Daily Cleaning. All Okay! Good Breakfast Steak across the street, but if you are like me you need to order 2 of them.

No Hassles! No BS! That is what I like on my hard earned vacation. If there is something wrong with your room, they will move you. They even have a couple of quiet rooms, facing the back. If you want to be up all night, take the ones that face the front.

No! I never found a place in Pattaya that was quiet! That is why I moved to Jomtiem. In Pattaya they are just judged on 3 different levels! Not so Loud! Loud! And Very Loud! Mind you I am not talking about some Executive Condo, on the 23rd Floor facing the Sea of Siam, which you will pay dearly for.

All Thai Furniture in Rented Condos is expected to look nice, but cheap and not comfortable. I gave up on the Hard Rock Beds here! Bought an nice Air Mattress which works great. Portable to! Just some of the many things you have to do here to survive here, and still love the place.

Good Luck!

I found the ARS ant traps at the big c super center. I think they are around 60 b each. I purchased 4 of them and they seem to be working. I put sugar in with the poison as well thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully this resolves that issue. I had an altoid a tin closed and these bugs are so small that they where able to get in there and numerous all over my altoids. I threw them out. So even sealed cans are not safe unless airtight against these creatures.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Stay one more month if you can bare it without paying. When you leave tell them they can keep the deposit. Then you lose little to no money.

These tiny bugs sound like bed bugs. These are notoriously hard to remove and expensive as smoke treatment is required as they can hide in grains of wood without detection. When you leave they can hang on to your property then begin breeding again in your new place. I have experience. BEWARE!!

Goodluck.

Rubbish they are bed bugs, bed bugs do not consume food and don't lay on wooden surfaces. You have a tiny sugar ant my friend and they are in the internal seems of the building and ant sand or ant traps will get rid of them. Bed bugs stay under creases in bed and if you had them you would be covered in the aftermath by now.

People say and write some stupid things here, they are not bed bugs.

My "boxy" unit at VT1 B has no problems and rents for 7,000 bt per month. It's the nice large pool, location and community that some folks on a budget ( like me ) enjoy. I can't imagine spending 29,000 bt per month though.

I like it for the value. It sounds like OP is paying at least twice the price needed for a 1 bedroom.

It's not the Ritz but has many advantages if your on a budget.