Frey Bentos at Rimping

gennisis

Rimping at Narawat doesn't seem to have a great (fast) re-stocking system.

However, I've found at Narawat branch that if you call first and if possible give a barcode number, they will tell you if they have it in stock or not. If not they will usually say 'it's on order', but if you tell them to call other Rimping stores they will usually get some of what you want ASAP if any of the other stores have it.

Edited by uptheos

Finnan Haddie ,yes please, but its a good job we cannot get

everything here,as we would have nothing to dream about,

food wise.

I remember the Fray Bentos pies from years ago,but its been

that long I cannot remember if I liked them or not !,would not

mind tackling a Steak & Kidney pudding,

regards Worgeordie

Have you seen the price of them though? We brought half a dozen back from England last year and half a dozen individual s&k puddings - bought them at the pound shop, which is 50 baht. Each. Almost out of them now, will have to go back to Sausage King for some real ones soon.

Have you seen the price of them though? We brought half a dozen back from England last year and half a dozen individual s&k puddings - bought them at the pound shop, which is 50 baht. Each. Almost out of them now, will have to go back to Sausage King for some real ones soon.

Where do those pound shops buy them so cheap......probably 50p?

Several chains of these shops, in the U.K., usually have 3-4 varieties of these Fray Bentos tinned-pies on-their-shelves.

Several chains of these shops, in the U.K., usually have 3-4 varieties of these Fray Bentos tinned-pies on-their-shelves.

Yes I know, my question is where/why/how do these shops buy them so cheaply, that they can retail them for only a quid?

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

There must be some reason.

Yes I know, my question is where/why/how do these shops buy them so cheaply, that they can retail them for only a quid?

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

The cost price will be the same to the pound shops as to the big supermarkets, just the supermarkets put more of a mark up on.

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

The cost price will be the same to the pound shops as to the big supermarkets, just the supermarkets put more of a mark up on.

I wonder how much they are wholesale?

I just checked Tesco online UK and, Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie 425G £2.00

That's 100% difference by Pound Shop, can't help thinking there's something not right with them.

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

Horse.

• Like 2

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

I just checked Tesco online UK and, Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie 425G [/size]£2.00[/size]

That's 100% difference by Pound Shop, can't help thinking there's something not right with them.

A quid sounds about right for such a quality product wink.png

• Like 1

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

No, nothing wrong with them, well in date and same weight. No idea what the wholesale price is, sorry not cost as previously stated.

Poundland and Poundworld have just the same buying power as all the big supermarkets. some of the products are less in weight so you do need to be aware of that.

The big supermarkets now have a shelf for £1 products to compete with the pound shops.

Examples are 2 litres of milk is £1 in poundshops but you get 2.27 litres for the same price in Asda and Aldi but pay £1.30 - £1.50 in other supermarkets.

I always bring back to CM jars of Patak Curry Paste that I get for £1 from the poundshops rather than the £2-£2.50 that most supermarkets charge, same weight and well in date. The bargain for me is Krackerwheat cheese biscuits, 2 packs for £1 rather than the £1.50 for 1 pack from supermarkets, but the downside is I have to buy the cheese in CM when I've used all the cheese I bring back.

Fray Bentos is in Uruguay, that's where the brand originated and gets its name from...I know I need to get out more.

Probably not as popular these days with the younger more health conscious generation hence the cheap price?

Eaten by the same sort of clientele in the UK that frequent the Chiang Mai Forum..just saying!

I love them by the way but as each one is full of suet and mystery meat in a metal tin they weigh a ton so I save my fix up for when I get to the UK

Fray Bentos is in Uruguay, that's where the brand originated and gets its name from...I know I need to get out more.

Probably not as popular these days with the younger more health conscious generation hence the cheap price?

Eaten by the same sort of clientele in the UK that frequent the Chiang Mai Forum..just saying!

I love them by the way but as each one is full of suet and mystery meat in a metal tin they weigh a ton so I save my fix up for when I get to the UK

Suet and mystery meat, what a great combo. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

The manufacturers may use these cheaper outlets to shift less-popular lines, or they may be liquidation-stocks, from shops that went bust ?

My tins didn't have the OXO photo on them - getting rid of old stock? Probably not as there were so many of them in so many different shops.

In Australia there are the Not Quite Right shops, not at all the same as the pound shops but with things coming up to or just over expiry date, things with printing mistakes (I once stocked up on a year plus supply of my favourite and very expensive shampoo at an incredible price due to a not really noticeable unless you really looked for it spelling mistake on the label) trial run and discontinued items, things with out of date competitions on the labels etc.

Not so much for food, but for things like soaps and other toiletries, they are so much cheaper than the supermarkets and Boots, I really don't know why anyone wouldn't buy such things there. They didn't have pound shops when we left UK in 1987, but I'm continually amazed at the range of big name brands at half or more price lower than conventional shops. A lot of junk too, but the toiletries in particular are so cheap, and not substandard or seconds. And the sweets - bars of chocolate, nowhere near expiry, no printing mishaps (I look for them in an effort to understand why a Mars bar is 3 for a pound there and 87p each elsewhere), big bags of sweets etc. No wonder I put so much weight on every year while I'm back licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

I would like to know how they do it though. There are so many of them, but they must be making a good profit or they wouldn't be there clogging up all of those High Street rental prices.

Pardon my Amerikan ignorance, but what is a Fray Bento??

A pie in a tin.

article-1268200-094209B0000005DC-701_224

Excuse me Sir. A pie in a tin? It's an institution, a childhood and a million memories. I'll be clearing the shelves when I get back!!!

Not just a pie in a tin, a very nice pie in a tin. The puddings are much nicer than the pies though, almost as good as the ones I make but without over an hour in preparation and 6 hours steaming.

Suet and mystery meat, what a great combo. biggrin.png

My favourite. And I don't care if there's horse in them.

Old stock?

Damaged tins?

Horse.

Veering a off topic, remember the fuss and scandal from the discovery of horsemeat in Tesco burgers last year? It has nothing on this little tale I was reading yesterday.

Recalling donkey meat because it has fox in it makes eating a bit of Black Beauty almost palatable. facepalm.gif

Finnan Haddie ,yes please, but its a good job we cannot get

everything here,as we would have nothing to dream about,

food wise.

I remember the Fray Bentos pies from years ago,but its been

that long I cannot remember if I liked them or not !,would not

mind tackling a Steak & Kidney pudding,

regards Worgeordie

Agree with you there. A great pie, also available in Oz, and so nice to cook one in the oven on a cool winters night. Almost as good as a great big heap of battered fish with chips. Wonder if they'd bring the pies in here. They add a bit to my baggage on my forays home but a few are well-worth it!