Koh Phangan info please

Hi all... Could someone tell me how busy the island gets if you take the full moon party's out of the equation? I've been looking at some resorts for lease but am slightly concerned just how many there are actually available (lots)

Thanks in advance

Between 15 Dec & 15 Apr or thereabouts KPG is relatively busy. From mid April onwards tumble-weeds can be observed rolling down the roads outside the 5 day period covering the full moon.

There is a great resident community there, inc some that post here:)

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Christmas to Songkran (Thai new year, 13 April 2014) is the Koh Phangan high season. During this period the island is almost full, but of course is always possible to find an accommodation. The first to be full are the nice bungalows, small houses, mostly rented on week/month base, the last to be full are the blooming dormitories with bunk beds and shared toilets. In the middle a lot of possibilities and locations. Of course the 5 days around the Full Moon Party the island will be again completely full booked and the bed prices skyrocket.

Keep your money in your pocket all the resorts hope for a good full moon so they can survive until the next one good luck with whatever you decide.

Interesting replies here.....

Nobody mentioned a critical factor which is (and always will be) Location!!

Whilst its true that most places are fully booked during full moon, other periods can be busy as well. What I know is that many hotels/resorts run occupancies of 60-70 percent throughout the year, and that is not too bad indeed. It all depends on where you are located, what product you offer at what price and what service levels you can offer.

• Like 1

Between 15 Dec & 15 Apr or thereabouts KPG is relatively busy. From mid April onwards tumble-weeds can be observed rolling down the roads outside the 5 day period covering the full moon.

There is a great resident community there, inc some that post here:)

HTH

You are forgetting the mid july to end of August period (European summer holidays) which can be busier than mid Jan-April. But you are correct that outside that period the island is empty,. But the location on the island affects occupancy, the Baan Tai/Haad Rin party zone is more variable than other parts of the island.. October/November everywhere is dead.

Jimmy - you and I have got to stop extolling the virtues of Haad Ma beach. Lots of other people are starting to go there.

tongue.png

I don't think it is just me!!!! I knew you might say that.... biggrin.png But huge improvements in the area though .... more building going to start as soon as "high Season ends... good and bad... but sounds like they are going to be conscientious about not ruining it... at least the tires and litter in front of Royal Orchid and your spot, has been cleaned up! New owners there too!

"Haad Ma beach" that will confuse people! facepalm.gifwhere is that!? blink.pngtongue.png

As to Thrilled's remark... well some people like quiet and this area is popular just about any time of the month or year! .... some of us like boring! coffee1.gif ... opps sorry Tropo! tongue.png

IMG_9106.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

Hi TV members.

I'm planning the holiday of a lifetime on Ban Tai beach Phangan.

I've done a lot of internet research, but I can't find out if there are any street food vendors or non tourist type restaurants near ban tai beach area.

I am a 60+ woman travelling alone and I can't walk far because of a crook knee or two.

I don't really want to have to pay 300 baht for a return trip into the township in a songthaew every day to get food. The less I spend on transport, the longer I get to stay.

I wouldn't feel safe on a motor scooter, even though I had one in my younger days.

I'm not fussy, pad thai and rice dishes suit me fine.

Any information will be appreciated.

As others mentioned, it depends on where you are located. Of course areas like Haad Rin are usually busiest during the FMP, while in the north it is a whole different story. The northern beaches are not usually affected by the FMP. Still, every where on the island there are busy and slow months. mid-Jan to Songkran is busy and then it dies down until July. mid-September to mid-December it goes quiet again.

Hope that helps thumbsup.gif

Hi TV members.

I'm planning the holiday of a lifetime on Ban Tai beach Phangan.

I've done a lot of internet research, but I can't find out if there are any street food vendors or non tourist type restaurants near ban tai beach area.

I am a 60+ woman travelling alone and I can't walk far because of a crook knee or two.

I don't really want to have to pay 300 baht for a return trip into the township in a songthaew every day to get food. The less I spend on transport, the longer I get to stay.

I wouldn't feel safe on a motor scooter, even though I had one in my younger days.

I'm not fussy, pad thai and rice dishes suit me fine.

Any information will be appreciated.

Not sure why you would choose Ban Tai beach, KP, it is not the best beach area of KP...bah.gif there might be one or two who might disagree with that tongue.png although it may depend on which area... but there are certainly better beach areas around the island... wink.png

But generally you'll find places to eat in the area without having to go to Tongsala or other areas... one of the best restaurants on KP is on the Ban Tai / Ban Kai border area..(IMO). look in the KP restaurant thread.... Resort prices will be higher than some of the street restaurants .... but I doubt you'll need to go far to find Pad Thai etc!!!

Check this link!

...http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/131857-share-your-favorite-restaurants-in-phangan/page-6

Rooo does not get out much, tongue.png he said Samui Ban Tai...when he moved this question.... well Ban Tai Beach on Samui, does not have any street vendors...only a few resorts, and several restaurants going up to the main road!!! .... but it is a nice beach!

There are beaches on both Islands with the same name!!! wai2.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

thanks samuijimmy....thanks for the link.

Ok, so it's not the best beach so can you or anyone else give me some tips on better beaches than Ban Tai on Koh Phangan?

Having never been to this island it is great to get advice from those in the know.

I would like to be near street food, not necessarily night markets, but cheapish restaurants that are not particularly geared to the tourist trade.

I picked that beach because it's fairly close to the town centre and the resort looks nice, although I haven't booked yet.

I won't be getting involved in NM parties or the bar scene.

I'm happy with a nice air conditioned bungalow on the beach front, up to 800 baht per night, low season, cheap food nearby where I can chill out for a few weeks.

For Peppa . I copied your question to here... just to get the right thread!

" thanks samuijimmy....thanks for the link.

Ok, so it's not the best beach so can you or anyone else give me some tips on better beaches than Ban Tai on Koh Phangan?

Having never been to this island it is great to get advice from those in the know.

I would like to be near street food, not necessarily night markets, but cheapish restaurants that are not particularly geared to the tourist trade.

I picked that beach because it's fairly close to the town centre and the resort looks nice, although I haven't booked yet.

I won't be getting involved in NM parties or the bar scene.

I'm happy with a nice air conditioned bungalow on the beach front, up to 800 baht per night, low season, cheap food nearby where I can chill out for a few weeks". End quote:

=====================================================================================

Smokie's advice about Ton Nai Pan, is OK except you won't really find the cheap food vendors, it's a captive market... because of location...usually getting there, by long tail boat, but I believe the road is now open... a steep and perhaps a rocky ride! ?.... w00t.gif

My choice and mentioned in the last few days is the Maehaad Koh Ma area (read post 7 above _^) on the north west corner of the island ... In your price range Island View Cabana or Royal Orchid, as low as 400 baht a night basic room with good bed & fan.... and bathroom... 800 baht and up for AC... some rooms at 1200 to 1500 baht range, if you want fridge and TV... it does not vary between low and high season ... There really is no supper cheap food their either... But generally nice types of people go there, some stay for months... young and old !!! .... it generally pretty quiet after 10 pm. thumbsup.gif

Ban Tai area is more likely to be "rocking" , especially during the full moon party time! facepalm.gif

A bit further south, on west coast is Haad Salad, (personally I don't like HS...some people do!) and then the west coast beach, which varies to location...some areas very hilly at the north end, flatter at the south end!!! but there are a few more "cheap food" vendors down toward the south end... some good food restaurants too, when you have had enough of rice and noodles!

Perhaps some of the local KP members in that area can make accommodation some suggestions...along the west coast ...? I am out of touch on that area! wink.png

It's easier enough to move around, if you don't like a location, you really do not need to book your full trip at one place! (During full moon party it is likely to be a little more difficult to find some thing... but never impossible! )

Hope that helps!....

It might be a bit remote for me, but the beaches look beautiful.

Is there anything else there apart from the few resorts?

Any street restaurants?

Would I be able to get supplies, like milk and coffee?

I should post a new thread in a different topic.

that's the beauty on Koh Phangan, beaches and nature, the rest should be kept as minimal as possible. Why do you need street restaurants? Even the tiniest bungalow resort has a restaurant with f&b, yes, also milk and coffee.

• Like 2

The road to Thong Nai Pan is paved (concrete) for about 3/4 of the way, with a stretch of good dirt road in the middle. It is being paved as we speak and the entire road will probably be paved in a couple of months. TNP has a small selection of shops including a 7-11 on TNP Yai, good enough for basic needs like milk and coffee. Once they finish paving the road, any fool can drive comfortably from Thong Sala to TNP in half an hour (right now, it takes a special kind of fool).

• Like 1

Ban Tai is probably the worst beach on KPN, unless you like parties. Thong Nai Pan Yai (TNP Noi. the smaller of the two beaches, is more upmarket = expensive) would probably suit you very well. One of (if not the) the best beaches on KPN, a nice selection of eateries, reasonable price range accommodation wise (in low season, beach bungalows can be had for as little as 290 baht a night for a small bungalow with fan, but everything is much more expensive in peak season) and basic supplies available. Great views and a very peaceful, family-oriented location.

You'll survive the taxi ride there. Good views.

Thong Nai Pan Yai would be my choice.

You must be an early riser wink.png

If one prefers Sun and Moon rise, then Tong Nai Pan might be just right.

Bottle Beach looks nice on photographs but is pretty much over priced and over rated.

No sunrise, no sunset and eating out options are very limited and expensive. goof.gif

I prefer any beach on the west side of Koh Phangan, anywhere north of Tongsala.

Nothing beats beach, palmtrees, hammock, pinacolada and sunsets licklips.gif

My favourite beaches on Koh Phangan are:

1. Haad Khom, the last, relative unspoiled beach on KPG

(well, not quite anymore since the concret road was build 4 yars ago but still nice)

2. Haad Chao Pao (relative quiet and stil possible to go swim at low tide)

3. Chaloklum Beach (the most westerly side)

4. Haad Yao

PIPA - for you I would suggest Chaloklum. thumbsup.gif

Probably the nicest and friendliest village on the island.

(Not just a Tourist Place - but plenty of Thai and Burmese people)

Some of the best restaurants are in Chaloklum with plenty of cheap Thai food

options. Chaloklum has a pretty nice "farang" community too and it will not be

long until you find like minded people there.

No need for motorbike as anything is just within a few minutes walking distance.

Good luck PIPA - wish you amazing, happy holidays smile.png

• Like 2

Jimmy - you and I have got to stop extolling the virtues of Haad Ma beach. Lots of other people are starting to go there.

tongue.png

I don't think it is just me!!!! I knew you might say that.... biggrin.png But huge improvements in the area though .... more building going to start as soon as "high Season ends... good and bad... but sounds like they are going to be conscientious about not ruining it... at least the tires and litter in front of Royal Orchid and your spot, has been cleaned up! New owners there too!

"Haad Ma beach" that will confuse people! facepalm.gifwhere is that!? blink.pngtongue.png

As to Thrilled's remark... well some people like quiet and this area is popular just about any time of the month or year! .... some of us like boring! coffee1.gif ... opps sorry Tropo! tongue.png

IMG_9106.JPG

If you stay on the main stretch on Ban Tai there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance I think the beep beep to thongsala is 30 /50 baht which is still a rip off how long are you staying for as mr zac offers nice concrete homes on the road for a reasonable cost and there are a couple of good food places within 20 meters pm me if you would like his contact details I stayed there for nearly a year he speaks excellent English

Poor Peppa, she's probably so confused by now!!! w00t.giffacepalm.giftongue.png

Don't worry, Peppa, where ever you end up, whether west coast or north coast (Chaloklum) you'll be fine! ..... It's all visitor friendly .... and I am sure you won't be the only lady in her sixties staying there!.... wink.png

Like I said before, if you want to move it' not difficult to do.... you don't usually need to pre-book anything except perhaps the first night!

If you look through the photo thread, I think you'll find many pictures of most of the beach areas of KP.... (mixed in with Samui ones!)

7-11 's all have fresh milk... resorts tend to use the canned stuff! bah.gif

Just come and relax! thumbsup.gif