Very Strange Problem In Explorer

~G~

For certain sites, for example, thaivisa.com, after entering the url the page loads, but the screen stays blank.

- No hourglass.

- The title of the page (in the blue bar, above the explorer menu) is visible.

- When I click "view source" I see the whole html, head, body, everything.

But for some reason or another the html doesn't get parsed and displayed! no error messages, no images, nothing!

This happens in 3 different computers in my office! No problem in Firefox.

all those pages used to be viewed with no problems previously in explorer.

Javascript works.

It just doesn't make sense. When I open http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=idx which is the forums links of ThaiVisa (from bookmark) there is no problem. When I click on the thaivisa.com link just below the Logo, or try to type http://www.thaivisa.com/ I get blank page but no error messages. :o

I started noticing the same type of problem when "content advisor" in "internet options" of the control panel was enabled. The problem went away when disabled.

thanks, francois, how didn't I figure it out. We need to use IE in our work, since it will be viewed by IE users.

Any other ideas?

need?

you mean that the site you use isn't compatible with others than IE?

review the building of the site and everything will be ok ...

a good page has to be viewed properly by at least 3 main browsers :o

check :D

francois

ps; these days no one should be obliged to use IE or need to for some site build by lasy builders who don't care about the others ...

don't you think?

Try clearing your Cache pages (Tools --> Internet Options --> General)

It may be a login error or script loading problem. Clear your cache and temporary internet files when you are NOT on the www.thaivisa.com. If you upgraded to Explorer 7 that is a Beta Version and there are problems with it as it is still being tested.

Best of luck!

FireFox is a good program, but unfortunately plugins are still being updated for it and not all are available yet. Explorer 7 offers similar features and added security. I think Explorer 7 will have Fire Fox running once they get all the bugs out of it.

-Rich

One of the big drawbacks of the Firefox browser is the number of web sites which still require Internet Explorer. Well, relegate the problem to the past, thanks to Hong "PCMan" Jen Yee and his IE Tab.

Blame site developers, blame big bad Microsoft, blame lazy code monkeys - it's still a fact that a lot of web sites don't look good and some crucial ones just won't work unless you use IE to get to them. For starters, you can't get Windows security updates without IE.

Or at least you couldn't.

IE Tab is an extension for Firefox which makes the popular freeware browser act exactly like the Microsoft browser when - but only when - you want it to. After you install IE Tab, you can probably ignore IE forever, even though that is a terribly long time. Download IE Tab to the folder under your Firefox main folder, called Extensions. The next time you start Firefox, it will detect IE Tab and ask if you want to install it, giving you suitable warning that it is unverified. Ignore the safety warning and install it. Now, under Tools, you will find "IE Tab Options", and you should have a look at this. It gives basic instructions, which boil down to this: List all web sites you want to view through IE, and IE Tab will kick in automagically. You can put IE Tab on the toolbar for easy switching. That is under View, then Toolbars, then Customize (with a "z"). The whole idea of Firefox and its open source is to let developers get at it, but this is one of the most useful extensions yet, and is almost a must if Firefox is going to seriously threaten the Microsoft dominance of the browser market. Mr Hong and his crew live, virtually speaking, here: ietab.mozdev.org.

From Bangkok Post Data

IE Tab is an extension for Firefox which makes the popular freeware browser act exactly like the Microsoft browser when - but only when - you want it to.

Disregard my previous comment, didn't work for my bank site. Did bring the login page up where before it would just complain about my browser, but won't go any further. I use Avant browser (which is IE compliant) and more full featured then IE if I have to go to an IE required site. :o

Edited by tywais

Thanks to all posters. Problem solved - reboot - clear cache and temp internet files - reboot again, and everything's ok... A strange problem but an easy solution.

francois - OlRedEyes answered your question.