SIA to cancel 19 flights as travellers avoid Bangkok

webfact

I think we can assume that since there is such a strong anti-foreign sentiment that there aren't many of the protesters are in the tourism sector.

With respect Credo, I don't quite follow what you're saying here. Who is strongly anti-foreign? and "aren't many (of the) protesters (are) in the tourism sector?"

I am saying that many of the people involved in the protests....meaning the supporters of Suthep & Co. are not involved in the tourism sector. At one of the protests there was demands that foreigners be kicked out of Thailand and that "Thailand is for Thais".

Some pretty xenophobic stuff coming out of the protests.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to TAT, SIA are cancelling 10% of their flights to BKK, but the 90% still arriving are all carrying about 15% more passengers!!

So it is in reality yet another increase!!whistling.gif

So far you're the only one stating SIA is actually carrying more passengers in spite of cancelling 10% of its flights. Where did you get that knowledge?

I think he was being facetious

Not likely, doesn't fit in with other posts by him.

According to TAT, SIA are cancelling 10% of their flights to BKK, but the 90% still arriving are all carrying about 15% more passengers!!

So it is in reality yet another increase!!whistling.gif

So far you're the only one stating SIA is actually carrying more passengers in spite of cancelling 10% of its flights. Where did you get that knowledge?

10% cut in no.of flights don't mean more people travel to thailand.

BTW I live in Koh Chang, occupancy rates are way down on last year. Congrats Yingluck.

I think you meant to say a big " wai and thank you" to Suthep and the rather badly named Dems........

Yes???

I have been able to park legally on the lower end of Pattaya Beach road TWICE the last couple of evenings. I haven't managed that in the last 5 years.

Thanks Thaksin!!!

Can't wait for Thai Airways, BA, Luft, all the Russian charters and the Chinese to follow suit.

The only high quality tourist that will arrive will be cockroaches.

You've booked already then?!

The protests are at the political level, an internal issue. I don't think that should affect tourism a lot since tourists go for shopping and relaxation. It is only when the protests go too far and turn bloody then at the individual level tourists will want to avoid thailand for the time being.

The other English newspaper we can't quote today has the Suvarnabhumi Airport Director saying SIA and Cathay Pacific have cut flights by merging certain flights due to reduced passenger numbers. Hong Kong Airlines are likely to cut 60 flights to Thailand this month due to possible problems with insurance coverage according to the Transport Minister.

The Airport director will also be meeting Thai travel agents to discuss alternative arrangements for passengers to travel to the airport which she says will probably be affected by road blockades... Don Mueang are also making plans for a train shuttle service in the event Vibhavadi Rangsit is blocked...

Just booked my flight out to Hamsterjam for next Tuesday.

Interesting to note that in addition to their daily Bangkok flights, KLM also run a second flight on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Some markets are reducing flights and other markets are increasing flights. I reckon there's NO direct linkage between the current turmoil and the innately more volatile air passenger market. Plenty of Russian charters in-and-out of U-Tapao as well.