Shutdown is illegal, govt warns

Lite Beer

"Shutdown is illegal, govt warns"

Why is it against the law to join the protest? Annoying, disruptive, counter-productive, yes, all of these. But illegal? Is it against the law because it is against PT's wishes?

I would assume that it's illegal because Suthep has not said it would be a simple protest. He has called on people to block traffic in the entire city, cut electricity and water supply.

What part of that seems "legal" to you?

Demonstrations are disruptive. Not illegal. That's what seems legal to me. The water supply and electricity threats were directed at specific buildings I think. Yes they are illegal but the protests, despite the fact they will cause a lot of problems are not illegal.

I think in most countries you need a permit to protest , march , whatever, if a permit is not issued then it is ilegal

In every democratic society you have the right to protest. It is not illegal to exercise this right.

• Like 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posts using derogatory nicknames or intentional misspelling of people’s names will be removed. If you don’t want your post to be removed, spell people’s names correctly.

Edit: A post with messed up quotes has been removed.

Edited by metisdead

I must say I have never been a fan of Suthep, but today I will join the protests. I will walk out of my living room, march down the hall, into the toilet and take a dump for deader leader Suthep. I strongly urge everyone else to come out and join me.

Put an X on your forehead before you go.

so the gov't said that the protests are illegal! now what? what are they going to do about it? answer--NOTHING!

@Bluespunk

You wrote -

Hmm, lets see, where did I say not have an election, nope can't see it. Maybe you think I support suthep or even agree with this protest? Hmm, lets see, I'll check previous posts, give me a minute, nope couldn't find any.

I'll take your word for it, no problem.

And you wrote -

I don't support suthep, I do think there should be contested elections, I do support the party with most seats forming a govt. however, unlike you I also support the right to protest inept, corrupt, nepotistic, self seeking, intolerant govts and their abuse of power.

I won't say what I feel like I'm talking to.

I'd say you're being pretty clear and I'm glad to hear it from you.

I'd just add that it seems an unpropitious time to be out demonstrating for bourgeois good government given a declared insurrection is underway and it's reported 80000 police are to descend on Bangkok. So I'd hope any citizens considering it reconsider. They anyway would out of place demonstrating for such alongside Suthep. I myself wouldn't get within a hand grenade's length of him these daze [sic].

And as for your discretion expressed in the second box above, it is the better part of valor so I salute you.

I would rather not ask you of the 10 days and nights you spent with people that shut down the city center for two days MONTHS,

Minor correction.

Feel free to ask as I'd welcome the occasion to conduct a, shall we say, "teaching moment," although I wasn't there continuously nor was I there by invitation. I accompanied some Thai friends as we wandered in and about, were invited to sit, eat, have a drink.

Met a lot of good people.

Ask me and I'll share it with you. smile.png

I'm confident you can keep it civil.

Anything specific on your mind?

Why is it against the law to join the protest? Annoying, disruptive, counter-productive, yes, all of these. But illegal? Is it against the law because it is against PT's wishes?

It's against the law because the leaders of the mobs in the streets have openly declared insurrection for the purpose of overthrowing the legitimately elected government and to prevent a legally called and scheduled election being conducted in accordance with the constitution.

The leaders of the insurrection have openly declared their intent to establish an arbitrarily anointed and still anonymous "People's Council" to rule absolutely over the nation after the negation of democracy and the constitutionally scheduled election.

Any government of the world has the inherent right to defend itself against insurrection of any kind - it is the government's sovereign right to preserve and protect itself in the interests of the nation, its people, the constitution.

Citizens are responsible to themselves and to society to know these facts and to accept responsibility for their decisions and actions in either respect.

Yes in a functioning democracy. But what the govt has done so far with the affair of the nation has not been sign of a functioning democracy. Right now, there is absolutely no Check and Balance in the system. Even citizens right have been violated. The citizens asked for rice figures they are not giving it. So many others violation of ciitizens rights too lengthy to mention. This govt has lost their legitimency and no one can disagree with that.

Vote them out.

• Like 2

Dear Publicus,

I admire your highly flexible moral guidelines. When you support a government, no matter how corrupt, criminal or unlawful its actions may be, you condemn even peaceful large scale demonstrations demanding its resignation as illegal and advocate a harsh crackdown. When you hate a government you vigorously denounce heavy handed action and demand instead all out bombing campaigns against it even without UNSC mandate - in clear violation of the UN charta - to allow some radical factions without democratic ideals to take over that country.

That's an interesting ramble and bunch of garble you present up there.

Since I don't know where to begin, I won't.

So thank you for your interest and attention to whatever the matter may be.

Edited by Publicus

Although I don't necessarily agree with the protesters, I respect them for getting off their butts and doing something. I think at the end of the day though, it won't accomplish anything because they don't have a clear/realistic goal(at least from my understanding). As it stand, they're rallying behind a guy who has a different idea for government, as if he's solved something that's been unsolved for thousands of years.

The sitting government should welcome protests and recommendations for change. They should put up aluminum parade barricades so as to provide protesters with a "designated area" to protest and walk. Anyone breaking through the barricades would be arrested and put in police vans and delivered to a holding area pre-established like a football field. This is a prescribed police procedure to secure public areas in times of demonstration.

Ahh yes, the Chile solution.

Thaksin would like that. He tried his own version at Tak Bai, didn't he?

Although I don't necessarily agree with the protesters, I respect them for getting off their butts and doing something. I think at the end of the day though, it won't accomplish anything because they don't have a clear/realistic goal(at least from my understanding). As it stand, they're rallying behind a guy who has a different idea for government, as if he's solved something that's been unsolved for thousands of years.

There is an arrest warrant out for a protester who has encouraged, and led people to occupy, shut down and destroy property in government offices. This man is currently walking the streets of Bangkok, and people are handing him cash..... in the street.... cash. Further, he is planning to intensify his shutdowns from govt offices, to the entire capital. And what is going to happen next time a mob in unhappy? I suppose the same type things. I'm sorry, you can respect them, I don't. I refuse to respect mindlessness. I saw them... they were blowing whistles and laughing like it was a party. I think a few of them need to see the inside of a jail cell. I'll tell you what, if a bunch of them got thrown in jail, and they still went out there, I'd respect them too. As of now it is just like a fad. What else is there to do in this armpit of a city anyway?

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

How can any of these government officials be taken seriously when some of them gave moral and financial support to the protesters that shut down Bangkok in 2010?

And how can they be taken seriously when they put 5 family members in top positions to be elected......It is not a government it is a Shinawatra enterprise

I'd rather have 5 members of the same family on the ballot, allowing people to have them "elected" than a non-elected "people's council".

Elections are always better than no elections, no matter who's on the ballot. People can vote "no" if they don't like the choices.

obviously never heard a democratic or elected dictatorship. Wasn't Hitler elected?

Suthep is not a fascist, he doesn't want the power, he wants the corruption out of Thailand.

As far as I'm concerned, he saved Thailand in the nick of time from becoming a dictatorship which

would have allowed fascist dictator wannabee Taksin to come back and take control and probably

revenge as well.

Just because something was created through an election does not allow violation of humans rights and

the right to be above the law.

You're posts reek of trolling which means I'm giving you credit here of having some intelligence. bah.gif

• Like 2

There is an arrest warrant out for a protester who has encouraged, and led people to occupy, shut down and destroy property in government offices. This man is currently walking the streets of Bangkok, and people are handing him cash..... in the street.... cash. Further, he is planning to intensify his shutdowns from govt offices, to the entire capital. And what is going to happen next time a mob in unhappy? I suppose the same type things. I'm sorry, you can respect them, I don't. I refuse to respect mindlessness. I saw them... they were blowing whistles and laughing like it was a party. I think a few of them need to see the inside of a jail cell. I'll tell you what, if a bunch of them got thrown in jail, and they still went out there, I'd respect them too. As of now it is just like a fad. What else is there to do in this armpit of a city anyway?

These protesters have a valid point and it's no good trying to go over same ground. Sometimes you need a nutter to help remove deadwood, elections will not sort anything UNTIL Thais get reform before. The cupboard HAS to be scrubbed no matter what they say about others, the pro government posters are informed and know the score but in denial good luck you lot with that. I am pro government when it is not fiddling in the till, dictating to the law makers and run from another land. that's my stance and always will be.

I am not interested ever about what other tainted politicians have done, from the past.

REFORM, TRASH OUT, ELECTIONS.

How can any of these government officials be taken seriously when some of them gave moral and financial support to the protesters that shut down Bangkok in 2010?

And how can they be taken seriously when they put 5 family members in top positions to be elected......It is not a government it is a Shinawatra enterprise

I'd rather have 5 members of the same family on the ballot, allowing people to have them "elected" than a non-elected "people's council".

Elections are always better than no elections, no matter who's on the ballot. People can vote "no" if they don't like the choices.

obviously never heard a democratic or elected dictatorship. Wasn't Hitler elected?

Suthep is not a fascist, he doesn't want the power, he wants the corruption out of Thailand.

As far as I'm concerned, he saved Thailand in the nick of time from becoming a dictatorship which

would have allowed fascist dictator wannabee Taksin to come back and take control and probably

revenge as well.

Just because something was created through an election does not allow violation of humans rights and

You're posts reek of trolling which means I'm giving you credit here of having some intelligence. bah.gif

But (and this is a big one), you are comparing Hitler with Yingluck. It is just so out of line. Yes, if Yingluck killed millions of innocent people, I will give it to you, action would be necessary. But man, this type of thing just isn't happening, you know man, this aggression will not stand, man (trying to imitate "the dude" or eldudereeno if you're not into the whole brevity thing)?

Edited by isawasnake

These protesters have a valid point and it's no good trying to go over same ground. Sometimes you need a nutter to help remove deadwood, elections will not sort anything UNTIL Thais get reform before. The cupboard HAS to be scrubbed no matter what they say about others, the pro government posters are informed and know the score but in denial good luck you lot with that. I am pro government when it is not fiddling in the till, dictating to the law makers and run from another land. that's my stance and always will be.

I am not interested ever about what other tainted politicians have done, from the past.

Ok, let's just stipulate they do have a valid point. She already called for a new election. That really should end it. Where does your argument go from there? "No, I want her out now, wha wha boo hoo". It is just hard to understand an argument, when one does not exist is the big problem here.

What brought them out was their inability to win by the rules. Not so hard to do what Thaksin did, The opposition could have started a party to fracture the northern stronghold. But they were too proud or too dumb.

What brought them out was PTP trying to ram through an amnesty package for their paymaster at 4 am while also trying to change the constitution having to do with how Senators are elected/appointed. If they were brought out by their inability to win an election, they would've been out a year or two ago when they didn't win the last election.

An old-timer used to tell me "nothing good happens after midnight" I guess that goes for absolving your master of all previous legal sins as well.

Repeating... but that bill was stopped, and a revote is planned. Where does your argument go from here? Why is a shutdown of the capital city necessary.

Let's break it down real simply in analogous form......

Greenpeace protesters climb into trees so they wont be cut down. Loggers feel the pressure and are forced to cancel their clear cutting in the area. Now, more dudes come to sit in the trees that are no longer under threat of being cut down. I guess this makes sense to some?

Edited by isawasnake

revenge as well.

But (and this is a big one), you are comparing Hitler with Yingluck. It is just so out of line. Yes, if Yingluck killed millions of innocent people, I will give it to you, action would be necessary. But man, this type of thing just isn't happening, you know man, this aggression will not stand, man (trying to imitate "the dude" or eldudereeno if you're not into the whole brevity thing)?

Hey MAN, I did not read that the poster compared Hitler with the PM. He was saying that because of dictatorial people example (elected)

Suthep is crazily doing a job no one else could undertake. It is about wrong...White people wrong in S.Africa minority-- PTP wrong in Thailand 48% minority.

revenge as well.

Hey MAN, I did not read that the poster compared Hitler with the PM. He was saying that because of dictatorial people example (elected)

Suthep is crazily doing a job no one else could undertake. It is about wrong...White people wrong in S.Africa minority-- PTP wrong in Thailand 48% minority.

MAybe we can meet at the in-n-out burger to discuss this, but this statement:

Leads a person to believe otherwise. What was his point then? That hitler was bad, so Yingluck can be bad too? Ok, nice statement. "Abraham Lincoln was good, so Yingluck can be good too" will be my just as illogical retort I suppose.

PS I don't know how to get around that "too many quoted texts" deal. Sorry if I misquoted.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

Ok, let's just stipulate they do have a valid point. She already called for a new election. That really should end it. Where does your argument go from there? "No, I want her out now, wha wha boo hoo". It is just hard to understand an argument, when one does not exist is the big problem here.

She called for an election to override the 3 years of wrongs. and to get 4 more corrupt years with her brother at the helm.

People failing to see the serious side of damage done here in 3 years are not watching the situ or reading things through, just going with the flow.

I congratulate them for giving me an extra 10,000 baht a month-exchange rate change- but I am trying to compile a list of good governance over the 3 years.

I have difficulty in finding any outstanding regular achievements. I believe in fair elections but I also know at this moment no elections should be carried out until REFORMS have been established and arrests have been made.

So many government persons are wanted for monetary discrepancies. All this before HER hurried elections, you can read them like a book, greedy shifty lot in my eyes.

If it is all sorted before any elections, Then proceed with perfect monitored voting.

I am over this country for the most part. I will just try to end my part in this by saying that I do not agree at all with what Suthep is doing. It is like he has demands that are illegal, a PM can't just vacate the office. And if his ridiculous demands are not met, he shuts down the city? Ok.

I also don't like how the govt has handled this. Get an fing backbone, will ya? How long will it take them to realize that when you let stuff like this fester, it will only build and get worse. Easy to predict, and we see this being borne from the actual events unfolding.

• Like 2

revenge as well.

MAybe we can meet at the in-n-out burger to discuss this, but this statement:

Leads a person to believe otherwise. What was his point then? That hitler was bad, so Yingluck can be bad too? Ok, nice statement. "Abraham Lincoln was good, so Yingluck can be good too" will be my just as illogical retort I suppose.

PS I don't know how to get around that "too many quoted texts" deal. Sorry if I misquoted.

When it says you have too many bla bla

go to the centre of quotes and highlight the center one, right click and cut, that deletes the early post enabling you then to send.

Maybe think you got another persons post and replied as if it was mine---but I replied to you 10 mins ago so we can start to post normal.

Edited by ginjag

I am over this country for the most part. I will just try to end my part in this by saying that I do not agree at all with what Suthep is doing. It is like he has demands that are illegal, a PM can't just vacate the office. And if his ridiculous demands are not met, he shuts down the city? Ok.

I also don't like how the govt has handled this. Get an fing backbone, will ya? How long will it take them to realize that when you let stuff like this fester, it will only build and get worse. Easy to predict, and we see this being borne from the actual events unfolding.

There would have to be a PM as far as I know but if Yingluck stepped down someone would need to take her place.

That might not be such a bad idea if they could get someone who wasn't so closely linked to Thaksin (difficult I know) as it's his involvement and the amnesty for him that's changed this from arguments in parliament and in court to protests on the street.

Suthep has done a good job in getting people onto the streets to protest but I think his continued involvement and his seemingly extreme ideas aren't helping now either so he should at least let someone with more moderate views take it from here.

What's needed is a coming together of the moderates on all sides. In everyday life that I see there isn't the animosity that's often seen in Bangkok.

Time to SWAT him.

Thais be proud of your government

Almost top of the heap in teen pregnancies

Almost top of the heap in road deaths

Almost top of the heap in being useless in English

Almost top of the heap in corruption

Used to be top of the heap in rice exports

Almost top of the heap in copyright violations

Almost top of the heap in domestic debt

An ode to PTP - screw the people and give me the cash

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

for the purpose of overthrowing the legitimately elected government

if you think its a legitimately elected government then you don't know what true democracy is.

I almost feel sorry for Thaksin - if (the very stupid) Prasit Chaisrisa hadn't let the cat out of the bag about the real purpose of the Amnesty bill then he might have got away with it.

• Like 1