History video: Yingluck Shinawatra Interview from Dec 2011

Lite Beer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not her level of English that is the problem.

For example it's when she uses the word logic more than once and talks about her 'management style' that reveals how she is out of her depth.

The answer to how she was going to solve the drugs problem just drifted into platitudes without any real plan (the idea itself just culled from dear bro'?).

All this interview confirms is that she is a typical Shinawatra with the clan's ability to lie & bullshit.

• Like 1

Ouch. She reminds me of George W Bush. But wait, he was supposedly speaking in his native language. And he somehow got elected to two terms to lead the 'world's most powerful nation'. Stones and glass houses. [but yes, language aside, the thinking is not impressive].

That said, my understanding is that the individual capabilities of the leader in parliamentary democracies are less critical than in presidential democracies ... policy and direction (in theory) are supposed to be decided on more collectively. Of course, the personal style of the leader also shifts these a bit: prime ministers with strong personalities (Lee Kwan Yew, Thaksin, etc.) can 'drive' the party's direction, while some presidents may try to be more consultative in stye (Obama). Besides, she's hot. smile.png

I think she is very intelligent. Imagine trying to complete a masters degree at a US University with such a poor grasp of English.

That must have taken some doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you really focus on that interview then the question 'Is Thailand even a Developing Country' .... whilst such a person is their leader ... must surely come to mind.

I have little time for politicians: Yingluck however in that interview comes over as someone who would strive to be a legitimately democratically-elected leader anywhere ... even Somaliland ... which is merely a joke and a non sequitur as [allegedly] Somaliland is an unrecognised self-declared de facto sovereign state that is internationally recognised as an autonomous region of Somalia..

If you really focus on that interview then the question 'Is Thailand even a Developing Country' .... whilst such a person is their leader ... must surely come to mind.

I have little time for politicians: Yingluck however in that interview comes over as someone who would strive to be a legitimately democratically-elected leader anywhere ... even Somaliland ... which is merely a joke and a non sequitur as [allegedly] Somaliland is an unrecognised self-declared de facto sovereign state that is internationally recognised as an autonomous region of Somalia..

What?

Is your real name Yingluck or do you both use the same scriptwriter? blink.png

What?

Read it again and this time pay attention

What?

No good, tried it in Google translate and my laptop blew up. smile.png

• Like 2

How in the hell did she get a Masters in English?

I speak with well educated Thais every working day, some of these have better qualifications than her and some do not but their use of English (in both speech and understanding) is far greater.

If someone had asked me to listen to that interview blind, I would have sworn that I was listening to a bar girl.

The whole interview reminded me of Monty Python.

Not because of the level or style of humour but simply because I don’t know which part (of the skit) was the funniest.

Maybe it was the part where she described her relationship with her brother (at about the 2:17 mark).cheesy.gif

• Like 2

What?

No good, tried it in Google translate and my laptop blew up. smile.png

Thankfully ... hopefully the nearest internet cafe is a long way off.

Google translate ... ??? ... how yesterday!

Edited by TroyT

It should be titled "how to get elected in Thailand". First, be from a corrupt, multi billionaire family. Second, talk about how you are going to fix poverty to the 99.9% of the country who lives in poverty. Third, say you are going to eradicate drugs and drug problems. There you go, Bob's your uncle....You're welcome. You guys act like campaigning is hard!

I'm glad she fixed the war on drugs and poverty.......

Poverty reduction programs in Thailand have been very successful under Thaksin and associated govts. Of course many people aren't so keen on that , preferring to keep a source of slave labour and cheap goods. That genie is out of the bottle.

Please describe any of the poverty reduction policies of Thaksin and how successful they have been and also how they have been financed. It seems that all that Thaksin has succeeded in is getting the poor into a cycle of more and more relentless debt and their only escape now is to continue to vote for him and his policies of paying off some of that debt (all lies of course). Wait for part of their party election manifesto to be to cut the debt on the agri bank credit cards the farmers were all issued with which had to be used to buy more expensive fertiliser and chemicals. Remember where you heard it first wink.png

Go to any village in Isaan and there is plenty of poverty to view first hand. As for the drugs, she did a good job eradicating them in just 12 months. Oh no, that's right, Yabaa is at epidemic levels in Thailand. Coincidentally, it's most prevalent amongst the poor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ouch. She reminds me of George W Bush. But wait, he was supposedly speaking in his native language. And he somehow got elected to two terms to lead the 'world's most powerful nation'. Stones and glass houses. [but yes, language aside, the thinking is not impressive].

That said, my understanding is that the individual capabilities of the leader in parliamentary democracies are less critical than in presidential democracies ... policy and direction (in theory) are supposed to be decided on more collectively. Of course, the personal style of the leader also shifts these a bit: prime ministers with strong personalities (Lee Kwan Yew, Thaksin, etc.) can 'drive' the party's direction, while some presidents may try to be more consultative in stye (Obama). Besides, she's hot. smile.png

In the words of Basil Fawlty: "not very bright". Goes for her and George W Bush

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Could someone - preferably the OP but anyone will do - please explain to me the point of putting this old video on the News forum today?

I´m not the OP, but he made my day laugh.pngthumbsup.gif

Thank You for bringing some real fun, OP clap2.gif

giggle.gif

Perhaps the reason is because the elections campaign has started now? (although she already started campaigning few weeks ago, at the north)

Edited by MGP

So, her English isn't perfect. There is something to admire in the fact that she has the guts to give interviews in English. How does Obama do in Chinese or Cameron in German? Suthep, of course, will NOT give any interviews in English. While he seeks out foreign media, he insists on using an interpreter. That doesn';t make his ideas any less nutty

She does interviews in English because she then has an excuse for sounding like an idiot.

She needs no excuse for sounding like an idiot it's in her gene pool.

An embarrassment to Thailand.

Could someone - preferably the OP but anyone will do - please explain to me the point of putting this old video on the News forum today?

There is a need to inform the public as to what a moron Yingluck is. Effectively she is a political [snip], someone who will do whatever for the money. Lower than anything many members like to say about BGs.

Edited by george
inappropriate language removed
  • Like 2

Listen at minute 1:03 of this other interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttU1a81EkaU

After having been very clear saying that she will not seek and aims to bring her brother back to Thailand, and asked about other political prisoners, this is what she says:

“Every person and every process has to follow by rule of law. So all the process have to go on and make sure that is fair for everyone”

Edited by MGP

So, her English isn't perfect. There is something to admire in the fact that she has the guts to give interviews in English. How does Obama do in Chinese or Cameron in German? Suthep, of course, will NOT give any interviews in English. While he seeks out foreign media, he insists on using an interpreter. That doesn';t make his ideas any less nutty

Additionally, I bet she speaks far better English than the wives and partners of 80% of the posters on here who are so fast to vilify her.

I bet that the wives and partners of 80% of the posters on here, who are so fast to vilify her, don't have a masters from an English-speaking university, and absolutely none of them pretend to have the qualifications to be PM of Thailand.

That's maybe true, but I bet most of them speak better English than Yingluck .

Additionally, I bet she speaks far better English than the wives and partners of 80% of the posters on here who are so fast to vilify her.

Stating that her English is appalling isn't vilifying her, it's starting a blatantly obvious fact, and a fact that makes no sense whatsoever when considering how she was seemingly able to complete a Master's degree in English.

As for the language ability of wives of posters, what on earth does that have to do with Yingluck? Unless there are posters here whose wives studied in English overseas and subsequently returned and put themselves forward to run the country, nothing whatsoever.

• Like 2

Many of the replies to the OP fail to give credit to Yingluck, who speaks much better English than her elder brother. Well done Ms Shinawatra.

No. Unlike his sister, Thaksin's English while far from perfect was at least understandable. And when he spoke it, you didn't cringe.

I said something nice about Thaksin!clap2.gif

• Like 1

Many of the replies to the OP fail to give credit to Yingluck, who speaks much better English than her elder brother. Well done Ms Shinawatra.

No. Unlike his sister, Thaksin's English while far from perfect was at least understandable. And when he spoke it, you didn't cringe.

I said something nice about Thaksin!clap2.gif

Yingluck tends to take more of the scatter gun approach. Throwing into the conversation as many of the catchwords she has memorized and been told to use, as often as she can, and regardless of the question being asked... which you sense half the time she has not understood at all.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

LOL! That's just embarrassing! Is there a Shinawatra library in the university where she got her masters?

I've often wondered if it was one the universities that used to advertise their online Ph.D&Masters programs on web ads. If I remember correctly getting the degree cost you just a few grand.