I need an advice - broken collarbon on KohSamui!

marseniy

I need an advice - broken collarbon on KohSamui.

In SIH Dr. Chob told me that I don`t need an operation. However in Nathon Hospital I was told that an operation its up to me.

What should I do?

Does it make any sense to undergo that kind an operation on Koh Samui?

I understand how having an operation is up to you. Next question is does it need to be operated on? or held in place with a brace till it heal's.

Somebody says it does others say it doesn't. While I am wearing braces I've sent my X-ray to my friends who are doctors and they consider that my case has to be operated. I don't want to fly to Moscow I just wanna know how it is to be opereated here?

I understand how having an operation is up to you. Next question is does it need to be operated on? or held in place with a brace till it heal's.

Somebody says it does others say it doesn't. While I am wearing braces I've sent my X-ray to my friends who are doctors and they consider that my case has to be operated. I don't want to fly to Moscow I just wanna know how it is to be opereated here?

If and it's a big if there is a qualified doctor to do this on Samui ok. If it was me I would go to Bkk.

• Like 2

If and it's a big if there is a qualified doctor to do this on Samui ok. If it was me I would go to Bkk.

If you have private insurance from abroad, ask to go to Singapore.

I had broken collarbone here on Samui 12 years ago. Surgery was not required but a lengthy 3 week bed rest (and after 2 weeks carefully going around) as I could fee bones moving. After a week of heeling I had a sneeze and I heard how the bone cracked off at the same time - weeks heeling went down the drain... ;) I would let it heel and if one day little "fixing" operation is required, do it when its healed (unless its cracked in multiple places..) Cheers..

' But you will always be faced with the dilemma in Thailand that the person recommending surgery is the one who stands to financially benefit from it or is under pressure from hospital management to suggest expensive procedures.'

BUT

Drs in Samui said 'In SIH Dr. Chob told me that I don`t need an operation. However in Nathon Hospital I was told that an operation its up to me. '

So not recommending an operation... If he wants to find a Dr that will recommend an operation I'm sure that is very easy , and if you want to have an operation better to go to Bangkok..

That is if you need one ?

I know about 10 people who had broken collarbones. Motorcycle accidents all I bought a pickup as I don't want to be in your shoes. Some people came out ok. Some not. One had to go back to the states and buntungrad had to give him his money back. I saw the x-ray it looked like chicken wire. It would really depend on the faith that you have in the doctor. One grind has been through three operations and one shoulder is lower than the other still. Good luck brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had a broken collarbone in 1983 that the doctor at McCormack Hospital in Chiang Mai determined didn't require an operation. The bone collapsed shortly thereafter and a fibrous union resulted making my left shoulder considerably shorter than my right and my left arm with less range of movement. I paid Dr. Suthee, a private doctor and a Queens Scholar, to splice in a piece of bone removed from my hip held in place with a metal plate and screws. Once that healed, I haven't had any trouble with the shoulder or the collarbone. So my advice is to carefully choose a good doctor, possibly in Bangkok, and pay whatever it takes to get the collarbone fixed right the first time around. Perhaps TVers in Bangkok can recommend a good orthopedic surgeon. Good luck!

Think about the statistics,Samui has in the top 3 m/cycle accidents per year in Thailand, therefore the hospitals are very used to doing this type of operation, a couple of years ago I had to have an operation on my finger from a m/bike crash, went to Nathon Hospital & had it done, by the same Surgeon who does the bone ops at the hugely expensive Chawang Bangkok Hospital. This happens a lot apparently in the smaller places around Thailand, so you get the same quality of operation at the government hospital as you would get if you went to the private hospital & paid 10 times the Money,

Alternatively go to Bumrungrad in Bangkok which is supposed to be ranked in the top 10 hospitals in the world, pay more (but a lot less than the Bangkok chain of private hospitals) & you will at least have some comeback if they bugger it up which any hospital, anywhere can do, the choice is yours, I personally would not go home for this op as youre unlikely to be treated any better, it's just a lot of expense to be patronized by Doctors in your Mother tongue...

• Like 1

Mine was Pinned in Thailand..Felt great until I played golf..Blew all screws out and had to go in for more surgery to remove screws..Bone infection set in from Exposed Bone to air..This is when the nightmare began...18 Months latter at a Hugh cost I did not die...

Do it over again I would just leave it alone...

• Like 1

I was in exactly your situation two years ago, broken collar bone, SIH, Dr Chob, same advice.

If the break is clean and the bones are meeting even if they are not in line they will fuse and you'll get full mobility back, that's what happened to me and apart from a "dip" in my collarbone and the odd twinge it's fine.

I think Dr Chob is a very honest doc and the advice he gave you appropriate, another private hospital may well say that an operation should be carried out as they can make more money.

I would say "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but it as it is broke I'd say leave well alone it will heal by itself.

There is a 5 star hospital in santi thani. Exelent doctors and resonable prices. I had an operation there and I was impressed. They will take you in and then give you an estimate and a time of the operation, if needed. The owner of seaview paradise above Lamai can give you more info if needed.

I broke my collar bone as child. My father never took me to the hospital because we didn'thave insurance and he didn't want to pay for it. By the time my mother took notice and took me to the hospital (they're divorced) it had already healed on it's own. If it hadn't healed correctly they would hve had to re-break it so it could heal correctly. I don't think you need surgery for it, I didn't, but be careful during the healing process.

I have fractured my collar bone twice in my life (once when I was playing in an empty lot when I was 5 and once after accidentally being hit with a steel-toed boot while sledding). I never had surgery. They had me in a special brace that goes around your shoulders for about 9 weeks (give or take...don't remember exactly, but was near the 2 month range).

It really depends on the severity of the break/fracture. Even though mine was just a fracture, it was pretty painful--go try Bangkok....don't think it would be bad there, like at Bumrumgrad (or however they spell it).

I would just be worried that, if not set properly, they might have to break it again and set it again. Good luck.

As noted most fractured collar bones do not require surgery but rarely it is necessary.

If in doubt go to Taksin Hospital in Surat Thani for a second opinion, that's the best medical facility in the area. Or come to Bkk if you prefer.

Head to Bkk to one of the better hospitals there for a second opinion. We use Mongul Wattana on Chang Wattana for more than 20 years. Great service, great care at reasonable prices.