More Problems With Safety And Security In Thailand

Aguanga

Yes much much worse! Within days I suspect! I suggest you immediately sign any deeds or belongings over to me and I will take care of them for you along with any Cash that you cannot get out of the country in time. Run! Hurry! save you souls. :o

Are those gentlemen at the State Department at it again? OK here is a short list for starters to shut them up. Sort of a dose of their own medicine.

Murder 15,517 Rape 90,186 Robbery 407,842 Aggravated Assault 910,744 Burglary 2,049,946 Larceny 6,965,957 Vehicle Theft 1,165,559

What list is this, you ask? the FBI Crime Statistics for the USA for the year of 2000.

I suggest that they get their own house in order before they start manipulating the tourism of other nations. According to those figure and the inability to control Terrorism, no one should be traveling to the USA within the next decade.

Seems everytime a nation shows progress in any manner, they get the bird flu, SARS, are labeled a Evil Axis country or are declared a corrupt government or are declared a unsafe location to travel to. :o

A lot of the statistics are old. Also they are being used out of context.

If you are buying a condo, I assume it is in a fairly high-density farang community. Thus it is well-policed, a well-run community with many help facilities.

I live in one of the most popular, but most depraved, areas of Thailand - Pattaya. There are farang (expat) deaths most weeks, the bulk of them being suicides (when money or girl-friend runs out) or old-age (when girl-friend doesn't run out).

Murders happen, usually over money. Robberies happen, usually through flaunting your money.

Live a quiet life and you can live a great life over here.

in Bkk I personally have no sense of danger, other than all the hungry trafficpolice roaming the streets. For visiting women I can only repeat advise given in most travel guides: it is very safe here, but use your common sense, unwanted attention can be attracted by "misappropiate behavior", i.e. don't stroll along on your own in miniskirt and deep-cut blouse at 3 in the morning(goes for any country, really).

I suggest that they get their own house in order before they start manipulating the tourism of other nations. According to those figure and the inability to control Terrorism, no one should be traveling to the USA within the next decade.

Seems everytime a nation shows progress in any manner, they get the bird flu, SARS, are labeled a Evil Axis country or are declared a corrupt government or are declared a unsafe location to travel to. :o

Mouse, I'm with you on that one....

Agree 1000% with Mouse. :-) It always annoys me to read the scaremongering by many governments. Traffic aside, which by the way should be everyone's main concern before anything else, Thailand is a safer place for foreign residents than pretty much any Western country. And no need to lock yourself into housing estates either.

Cheers,

Chanchao

We are living in Tokyo, one of the safest cities in this world, and are visiting Thailand every year since over 25 years and have also a condominium there in Jomtien Beach.

We cannot complain about any security problems at all in all Thailand. We visited all provinces in Thailand by train, by bus or driving a rent-a-car. All in all, Thailand is pretty safe for the foreigner.

What you should keep in mind:

Over 80 percent of crimes in Thailand are related to drugs, illegal border trade or violence among drunken rural Thai, illegal gambling, prostitution and so on -

You can easily avoid that grey-zones!

Keep away from border areas, especially during night, and avoid to drive your own car during night-time on highways out of the city, do not visit (especially as a woman) alone remote located temples, do not stay overnight in forests except guarded lodge and camping-areas.... Do not carry cash money or other valuables (like gold, diamonds to show up how rich you are) with you - keep the money in the bank and use your cash-card.... Make a copy of your passport and Thai visa and send it to your Embassy in Bangkok, reporting your address.

Keep off during night-time from visiting the villages or hill tribes - be back in your hotel before darkness in such areas....Do not accept or buy or eat anything offered from unknown people - do not invite unknown, but so friendly Thai people into your apartment, and do not go with them if invited.

Condominiums for foreigners are usually well guarded - no problem there at all - well-off Thai people prefer some security measures, too and lock their homes and their belongings carefully. There are quite a good number of Thai people, who are far away to be called poor and they have the same security concerns as you have.

Finally, buy a mobile phone, carry it always with you, and make it clear beforehand, how to use it and whom to call if you need help in case of an emergency.

We found living in Western and Eastern Europe and all America (North and South) much more dangerous than living in Thailand.

Johann

Good comments in here. I confirm, I feel safer in Bangkok than most other countries where i lived or visited.

Use common sense, don't flash you jewelry, don't withdraw money from ATM 2:00 am a.s.o.

A slight worry Ihave for bombing like Bali, Jakarta etc. Main targets shold be big international hotels. OK, I cannot avoid them but realized security has increased in places like Conrad, Intercontinental, Marriot.

Ignore the Americans.

They are paranoid and don't know diddly squit.

Thailand is still much safer than the US and most of Europe!!

I'm American & I agree with him! :o Thailand is a much safer country for women travelers than most others.

I am European and I agree with him!

Thailand is a much safer country than most of Europe!

About Bangkok:

I am living with my Japanese family in Tokyo , which is one of the safest cities in this world.

We all can say, comparing Bangkok with Tokyo, even in places where are not many tourists - Bangkok is a remarkable safe place to live in.

Violent attacks against foreigners are very rare.

Bombings: Thailand is not a place, where militants of all directions are feeling comfortable. Nobody out of the Thai population is supporting such people.

As a fact:

Thai military and Thai police are in firm control over the whole territory of Thailand. This is totally accepted, respected and supported by all Thai people.

You cannot compare it with Indonesia and the situation in Jakarta/Bali.

Asking our friend, who is living in Jakarta and who is an Indonesian MUSLIM woman for some comments: Her replies:

1- We are scared, we never go out past 0900 PM

2- The gate of our little house will be additionally locked by a heavy iron-chain during night time.

3- Our big dog is sleeping with me in the room.

4- We always have some stock of food and water for one week or so, in case we cannot go out due to unrest or wild demonstrations.

5- It is always somebody in our house. If I have to go out, the maid has to stay in the house and is not allowed to open the gate to anybody and my dog will be with her. Otherwise my small house would be looted within some few hours.

Did you ever hear something like that about Thailand (not from the rich foreigners, but from a local average Thai family?)

Johann

The yanks only give warnings like that incase something dose happen, then everyone says, "why didnt you warn us your the mighty U.S you must of known something could happen"

so they do give general warnings seems to me they're slammed if they do slammed if they dont,

First to the original poster. Thailand is as safe as you can get. Like everyone said just use the head on your shoulders and your gut instinct. You should be fine.

to the other posters..

This is from the article

1) American citizens traveling to Thailand should therefore exercise caution, especially in locations where Westerners

2) Although these groups focus primarily on Thai government interests, U.S. citizen travelers should remain vigilant with regard to their personal security.

astral chanchao mouse please answer this question.

From the article it clearly states "AMERICAN" citizens. So complaining about the US sticking there nose in to other peoples business. Is that not being Hypocritical?

Also as stated the article is old and the US has every right to address its citizens... If they feel there's a danger, no matter how paranoid. It is up to us as AMERICAN citizens to place the value on the alert.

Instead of bashing Americans why not support the candidate that is running against Bush. Having international support for a candidate would unprecedented and might help get rid of BUSH.

It is funny how we all say its the Americans that are at fault or being stupid. But we never say the Brits are a stupid, aragont self, etc... You will say it's Blair. A second example: We all say Toxin is messing things up, never say the Thai people are stupid.

Can you see the difference between? Now when you post please also include your home home because we all should move there, because its perfect??????

Just sick of being bashed by people that really have no right to speak.

You sound like Trink now, Ulysses G. I sorta miss those Burma Shave deals even if they were corny as he11.

The Ketchep King came out today to say he's going to change the war on terror to dialog with all those people around the world who hate us.

Kerry promised to spend the first 100 days of his administration traveling the world to denounce his predecessor, apologize for his "radically wrong" policy, and seek "cooperation and compromise" with friend and foe alike. Borrowing language normally reserved to characterize "rogue" states, Kerry said he would "go to the United Nations and travel to our traditional allies to affirm that the United States has rejoined the community of nations."

Maybe get Arafat, Osama & Hezzbolaa around a campfire and sing a few "Kumba Yaa" songs too??? :o

Boon Mee

Kerry said he would "go to the United Nations and travel to our traditional allies to affirm that the United States has rejoined the community of nations."

I do not care if it is Kerry, Heinz or whoever.

But if you guys can elect somebody who really can "bring the United States to rejoin the community of nations." I will rejoice and wipe my eyes

Axel,

With the war on terror slipping steadily in the polls as an important issue to voters, that’s something to think about. When John Kerry says that he wants to reverse course, he gives heart to the forces of international jihad that are bent on destroying America. That’s why we may not be able to spare George W. Bush, for all his faults. He fights. :o

:o Is this going to get worst? See link

I just purchased nice condo in Thailand and kind of makes me think I might not have done a right thing if Thailand becomes unstable like Burma or Laos. History often repeats its self. I s it possible for Thai gov. to lose its control over the borders?

http://www.ncbuy.com/travel/issues/report_...=safetysecurity

instability may come in a few years when oil supplies are expected to become very tight . it is said by petroleum experts that world demand will exceed supply by 2007. depends on how demand expand sin China and India in the near future .