Bag containing B500k and iPad returned to Italian tourist: Phuket

webfact

Here is a similar story i read on newyork post ( PLEAE do not critisize any religion)

A Bangladeshi taxi driver in New York City has gone out of his way to track down the person who left thousands of dollars in cash in the back of his cab. Mukul Asadujjaman, a medical student, drove nearly 80km (50 miles) to an address he found with the money.

He left his phone number when he found no-one at home. The money belonged to an Italian grandmother visiting the US. Mr Asadujjaman was offered a reward, but he turned it down saying that as a devout Muslim he could not accept it.

Felicia Lettieri, of Pompeii, Italy, and six relatives had taken two cabs on Christmas Eve, Newsday newspaper reported. Mrs Lettieri, 72, left her handbag behind, with more than $21,000 of the groups travelling money, jewellery worth thousands more, and some of their passports. Her sister, Francesca Lettieri, 79, of Long Island, said the honest driver had saved her familys vacation.

"We really love what he did," she said.

Be honest

A gracious Asadujjaman was quoted by the newspaper as saying that he may be broke, but he was also honest. "My mother is my inspiration. She always said to be honest and work hard."

Mr Asadujjaman called a friend with a car and drove to a Long Island address he found in the handbag.

No-one was at home, so he left his phone number and a note, the report said. His phone rang a short time later and he drove back to return the bag.

"They were so, so, so happy," Mr Asadujjaman told the paper.

Asked if he was tempted to keep the cash, Mr Asadujjaman said the money would have allowed him more time to study, "but my heart said this is not good".

He also turned down a reward, saying he could not accept it as a devout Muslim, Newsday reported.

"Im needy, but Im not greedy," he said. "Its better to be honest."

Mr Asadujjaman is not the first honest American-Bangladeshi cabbie to hit the headlines for noble behaviour.

In 2007, driver Osman Chowdhury returned a lost bag containing diamond rings worth $500,000 to the rightful owner.

I like the quote "I'm needy, but not greedy". It is good to see that there are honest people in this world.

A very lucky man. But who carries 500k about with them. No mention if a reward given.

Indeed he is a lucky man., but also somewhat careless to carry BHT500k in cash. Has he declared it to customs on his entry to Thailand? By law one is required to declare to customs any amount exceeding $10k or equivalent.

Rubbish, there is no restriction on bringing in baht.

Here we go again, the TV FBI, 500 k is 15,000 USD. So he maybe staying a few months. Big deal why do people doubt

that he's a regular tourist?

Next month I'm bring in 1 million baht in cash, is that ok with the TV FBI???

Do what you want but be sure and declare it and be careful about losing it in a taxi otherwise we will read you crying the blues about losing $30K. Like I said a fool and his money are soon parted.

He doesn't have to declare baht.

I would also like to report act of honesty, took place on December 24th at Central Festival Phuket Food Court.

We bought iPhone for our son (Christmas Gift) and after finishing lunch he forgot the bag containing phone and some other stuff and left it on the table. 10km's later, while in the car, my son realized he lost the phone and we turned back. Security guard recognized us and told us the bag and it's contents were at apple shop to be collected. We rewarded him with Thb 1,000, small token of appreciation for his honesty.

Edited by CroBiker
  • Like 1