Censors Reverse Tack, Da Vinci Code Approved

george

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jdinasia for <deleted>'s sake - this discussion is about censorship - not whether I can or cant listen to western music in Thailand.

I've a PC that I can stream music from anywhere in the world so I can listen to hard core gansta broadcasts from New York if I want.

The point I'm making, which you seem to be unable to understand is its my opinion (rightly or wrongly and I'm not conspiracy theorist) is that the Thai authorities are reluctant (to put it mildly) to allow too much western influence in their country be it from music or in the case of The Da Vinci code from religion.

It might have escaped your notice but Thailand dont want you here. They don't want me here. They dont want anyone living in Thailand but Thai people. As far as they're concerned Thailand is for Thai people - thats why its such a bloody performace to stay here and comply with all their visa regulations.

Why do you think this country is (was) governed by a politcal group call Thai Rak Thai - Thai loves Thai.

We are tolerated, as is western music and western religion because the Thais can't do a lot about it without seeming to the outside world as being anti-west.

As has been posted many many times on many many forum threads:-

TIT

then again ... Radio ... if it were about censorship ... radio would be censored too ... it may be about finances (royalties) ... or family viewing .. there are only a few channels (and they SUCK)= -- thank GOODNESS for UBC or Sat.)

as for the name of TRT ... nationalist? proud? I doubt you'll ever see many people say they are not

the Thai authorities are reluctant (to put it mildly) to allow too much western influence in their country be it from music or in the case of The Da Vinci code from religion.

From what I can see, it's only been the TRT party (particularly party members from the old Palang Dharma party) in the past 5 years that wanted to limit "inappropriate" Western influences, which mainly means skimpy clothes and pre-marital sex for women. I don't think they care much about music. Government-controlled TV stations reach right out into the boonies where there isn't so much interest in Western music and costs have to be kept low. I'm sure it's cheaper to air Thai music videos than foreign ones.

It's a bit different with UBC, where the audience is paying for the service and are mostly the more Westernised urban middle-class.

As for censoring Christianity, I don't see why they would need to since very few Thai Buddhists ever convert - one of the reasons Thailand doesn't have a problem accepting Western missionaries. And Da Vinci Code, if anything, is anti-Christianity in implying Christ was not divine. I think the hullabaloo over Da Vinci Code is political correctness to the extreme. The authorities probably expected they might have to censor something Islam-related in the future and wanted to show they will be even-handed in censoring everyone. :o

It might have escaped your notice but Thailand dont want you here. They don't want me here. They dont want anyone living in Thailand but Thai people. As far as they're concerned Thailand is for Thai people - thats why its such a bloody performace to stay here and comply with all their visa regulations.

Well, not exactly. They don't mind us being here as long as we are "high-class" foreigners, upstanding citizens with plenty of money. All those regulations are to filter out the rest.

there are only a few channels (and they SUCK)= -- thank GOODNESS for UBC or Sat.)

I'm with you on that one dude.

Well, not exactly. They don't mind us being here as long as we are "high-class" foreigners, upstanding citizens with plenty of money. All those regulations are to filter out the rest.

I'm not sure they're even that charitable but I take your point.