Proof of Residency from Canadian Embassy for Thai Drivers

Hi All,

Okay - I've searched, and I've found a ton of stuff on getting proof of residence from Thai Immigration - which requires a copy of your landlords ID card, a copy of your lease or rental agreement, a copy of the front page of your passport (photo page), a copy of your visa in your passport and a copy of your TM6 Departure card. etc.

However, in all of the posts I've looked at for getting the same from an embassy, I don't see any document requirements.

I'll be asking for two letters of residence - one for my motorcycle, and one for car drivers renewal - from 1 year to 5 year each.

I've found a report of getting an affidavit from the Canadian Embassy - "Just got the affidavit done at the Canadian embassy here in Bangkok - 1500 baht" 2010 - JusMe.

But again - no sign of what's required at the embassy.

Can anyone tell me what I'll need to take along to the Canadian Embassy in order to receive a proof of residence letter, and whether this will need to be translated into Thai for the drivers license office?

Best,

waters

i am canadian and didn't get anything from the embassy.. all i got was some printed out paper from the condo where i was living that i was living there and went to hua hin immigration and they gave me that residence paper.. i needed two also, one for thai drivers license and one for buying/registration of the bike.

i remember reading about this embassy BS too and it totally wasn't needed. not for me anyways but TIT

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not all immigration offices will do a certificate of residency. Some will only do them if you are on an extension of stay. Many will not do them if you have a tourist visa.

(sorry to piggyback on OP's thread, but . . . ) I think I just experienced this today at Chiang Mai immigration.

I'm actually trying to register a recently purchased motorbike and was told by the Yamaha dealer to get a residency permit at immigration.

So I was there today (extending my tourist visa) and went to the residency office, and the officer said he wouldn't do it unless I went to my consulate (US) and had them "guarantee" me or something having to do with me. I couldn't quite make out what he was saying, except that I had to go to the consulate and get a guarantee. I'm on a tourist visa that expires in 30 days if that makes a difference, but I read on another thread here it does not.

Can anyone explain to me what the immigration offer is telling me I need to obtain from the US consulate and bring to him before he will issue my residency permit? And what I need to bring to the consulate in order to get this guarantee?

I have no idea what he is referring to. But chances are that the consulate would not be able to do it. It would cost you $50 but you could do an affidavit at the consulate.

Suspect the issue relates to immigration being reluctant to provide a "proof of address" to those on tourist visas.

Just went there last week for same thing. Need $50…pay by Visa or Thai baht. And Canadian passport; nothing more. Go to the embassy (consulate) on Rama IV. MRT, cross the road and walk 1 minute.

The Pattaya Vehicle Registration office accepted it no problem, untranslated. For a driver's license, not sure.

Just so you know, immigration on Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok is only issuing residency certificates now if you have a work permit (ED Visa did not qualify). Pattaya Immigration just needs proof of address but it must be in the Chonburi district. (500 baht)

Edited by Whereustay

CW will do certificates of residency if you are doing 90 reports to them. The type of extension does not matter nor is a work permit a requirement. If you have a work permit you don't need a certificate anyway it alone is enough.