Thai lessons at Pantip

mizztraveller

Has anyone learned Thai at the place in Pantip Plaza and willing to give an opinion. I'm not looking to get an Ed Visa, just a good and effective learning experience for the older student.

I'd like to learn to read and speak Thai, preferably at the same time.

I go there. I can recommend them 100%, although many of the Ed Visa places seem to get good feedback.

The teachers I have are all excellent, and they are flexible about learning at you own pace.

The administration side is also very efficient - not always the way here.

I go there. I can recommend them 100%, although many of the Ed Visa places seem to get good feedback.

The teachers I have are all excellent, and they are flexible about learning at you own pace.

The administration side is also very efficient - not always the way here.

Thanks. Do you learn to speak and to read at the same time?

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know several people who attend those classes.

They learn nothing, and repeat the same levels again and again.

But they do seem to enjoy the classes, despite their failure to learn anything.

The reading/writing starts way beyond any level they managed this past year.

But they are happy with their Ed Visas.

I'm not interested in an Ed Visa - I simply want to learn to speak and read Thai.

I'm not interested in an Ed Visa - I simply want to learn to speak and read Thai.

I suspect you won't be happy there then.

YMCA is a lot cheaper, better teachers, but still use transliteration until you reach the higher levels.

Payap Uni, is supposedly the place to go for speaking/reading/writing all at once, but hard work.

VISA mills don't usually do a very good teaching job.

It might be because none of the other students are all that interested in learning, they just want the VISA.

• Like 2

Go to the AUA school, the courses there are excellent, I went a couple of years ago and it was really good, intense but you will be speaking Thai if you put in the effort.

• Like 1

Go to the AUA school, the courses there are excellent, I went a couple of years ago and it was really good, intense but you will be speaking Thai if you put in the effort.

I went there when I had been in Thailand about a week. I took the beginners course. What a waste of time. I was in a class with about ten others half of them had all ready taken the class and they had all been here for at least a year. What it turned out to be was more about grammar than learning to speak the words. Try it grammar in a language you can't speak.

I had heard that some of the teachers were good but then again some of my class mates thought are's was. Of course it was there second time through the course.

I got more out of one on one where I was allowed to develop at my pace. Before we even started I had to learn to pronounce the vowels and use the aspirated words. Also she insisted I learn the tones. We then began with the grammar each lesson had a list of words that I was to learn and then how to speak them and the order to put them in.

To each their own Grammar was my weakest subject in high school and that was in a language I could speak. Some people pick it up very easily and others don't if you are in a group that struggles and you also have a hard time with it you will do much better than being in with some who pick it up real fast.

I agree with 52 about some of them just being there for the Visa thereby dragging the whole class down. You will find those kind of people in any school that can be used for an education visa.

I went there when I had been in Thailand about a week. I took the beginners course. What a waste of time. I was in a class with about ten others half of them had all ready taken the class and they had all been here for at least a year. What it turned out to be was more about grammar than learning to speak the words. Try it grammar in a language you can't speak.

I had heard that some of the teachers were good but then again some of my class mates thought are's was. Of course it was there second time through the course.

I got more out of one on one where I was allowed to develop at my pace. Before we even started I had to learn to pronounce the vowels and use the aspirated words. Also she insisted I learn the tones. We then began with the grammar each lesson had a list of words that I was to learn and then how to speak them and the order to put them in.

To each their own Grammar was my weakest subject in high school and that was in a language I could speak. Some people pick it up very easily and others don't if you are in a group that struggles and you also have a hard time with it you will do much better than being in with some who pick it up real fast.

I agree with 52 about some of them just being there for the Visa thereby dragging the whole class down. You will find those kind of people in any school that can be used for an education visa.

It was different for me because I could speak a decent amount of Thai before I took the courses but do agree with you on some points... I imagine if you had just arrived, even learning beginners Thai with people who had previously taken the same course would be tough, Can't think why those people didn't move up to level 2, maybe they weren't confident enough so repeated the beginners course. I thought AUA was a good school but it would be impossible that every student who went there would be satisfied... That goes for any school, I'm starting one to one lessons at Pantip in Feb and will see how that goes... Of course if it's possible one to one will always be better than group classes but I have to say, I like the banter in the group classes, you can get a nice mix of people.

Cheers!

I suspect you won't be happy there then.

YMCA is a lot cheaper, better teachers, but still use transliteration until you reach the higher levels.

Payap Uni, is supposedly the place to go for speaking/reading/writing all at once, but hard work.

VISA mills don't usually do a very good teaching job.

It might be because none of the other students are all that interested in learning, they just want the VISA.

I went to Payap when I first arrived in CM about 3 years ago. Unless they have changed the curriculum, writing is not taught until either the 3rd or 4th level. That said, I highly recommend their program. As noted, it is hard work but that should be expected from any competent language school. Any deficiencies I have noticed from my time there were the result of my lack of focused effort rather than any lack of a quality program on their part.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I think its better to have at least one other person rather than 1 to 1. It just helps to be able to work things through and practise together - they tend to rush through IME too if 1-2-1. I did 1 to 1 and small group (3 of us) and YMCA and that was pretty good. Later I did the advanced reading class as a group class and found that OK, but harder to keep anything in (meant I did a lot more home study - killing the point).

I would recommend trying YMCA with another person going with you - no more than 3 or 4 people in the group but as a private lesson so they tailor it to you.

• Like 2

It was different for me because I could speak a decent amount of Thai before I took the courses but do agree with you on some points... I imagine if you had just arrived, even learning beginners Thai with people who had previously taken the same course would be tough, Can't think why those people didn't move up to level 2, maybe they weren't confident enough so repeated the beginners course. I thought AUA was a good school but it would be impossible that every student who went there would be satisfied... That goes for any school, I'm starting one to one lessons at Pantip in Feb and will see how that goes... Of course if it's possible one to one will always be better than group classes but I have to say, I like the banter in the group classes, you can get a nice mix of people.

Cheers!

I have been considering one on one lessons for a while now. I had some at one time the cost was 200 baht an hour. It was two hour courses twice a week. To be honest I just wanted to learn the bear essentials. I found myself looking at the clock after one hour. I am not a student just some one looking for a little better grasp of the language, I will probably never understand it but if I could just use it with less motions I would be happy.

I do speak a little and know that even though I can speak it very limited what I naan say I have to ask the people repeating it to me to go very slow. I have learned one trick watch their mouth when they speak it helps me to better pronounce the word.

At any rate good luck to you and let us know what the costs are and how it is working out for you. I realize this may be a while in coming but it would be nice to hear it.

I can tell you now buddy....

It's 21,000 for the 1 year visa including 60 hours private lessons.

20,000 for another 60 hours, I think its 30,000 for 90 hours and so on...

You can buy as many hours as you want but the bare minimum is 60 hours.

I believe I will learning how to read and write, been here long enough now, should really be making an effort to get on top of that.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

Let's not kid ourselves, you will NOT learn Thai by simply going to class. Not enough that it matters. An additional 2-hours a day, plus attempted conversation in the street, seems to be the minimum to get better (for most). Sounds obvious, but I have met 20+ people in classes that get frustrated and then confess they have no time to study outside of class. it is what it is...i don't sweat it. You will get guys in class that only complain, some who are way too good at thai, some who are hungover and never do homework, etc.....again, don't sweat it. My point? get the cheapest for Ed Visa, save your money. If not looking for Ed Visa, then take as many classes as you can. 3 at 3 different schools, who cares. the more, the better. you fail, who cares, just try.

I know a few people in America who have been here between 10-20 years, and their English leaves a lot to be desired. well, so does mine....lol.

Let's not kid ourselves, you will NOT learn Thai by simply going to class. Not enough that it matters. An additional 2-hours a day, plus attempted conversation in the street, seems to be the minimum to get better (for most). Sounds obvious, but I have met 20+ people in classes that get frustrated and then confess they have no time to study outside of class. it is what it is...i don't sweat it. You will get guys in class that only complain, some who are way too good at thai, some who are hungover and never do homework, etc.....again, don't sweat it. My point? get the cheapest for Ed Visa, save your money. If not looking for Ed Visa, then take as many classes as you can. 3 at 3 different schools, who cares. the more, the better. you fail, who cares, just try.

I know a few people in America who have been here between 10-20 years, and their English leaves a lot to be desired. well, so does mine....lol.

Excellent point, the classes are just the building blocks, the learning comes from actually practising outside with Thai's and studying , I'm lucky in that I live out of town and none

of my neighbors speak English, I might add, that they are some of the nicest people, very friendly, couldn't ask for better neighbors...

Friend of mine moved here a few years ago when he was 23-24, moved in with a Thai girl and relatives at her place, I couldn't believe how fast he picked up the language, fluent within 2 years.... without classes.... bottom line is if you want to learn something you will learn it eventually, if I had a dime for every person I met that said "I can't learn Thai" I'd have my own private jet on 24 hour stand by...

Regards.

• Like 1

oh whatever. The Pantip place has really built up my vocabulary and sentence structure.

and I saved enough baht to buy the GF a well needed boob job.

Okay well I saved enough for one breast anyway.

you probably feel a right t*t (someone had to say it)

I am also looking into all the different schools. I'm still looking for the "best" way to learn.

Every time I meet a foreigner who is speaking great Thai I ask them where they learned hoping for a glowing recommendation but every single time it turns out they didn't learn at a school. I haven't even met anyone yet that said they learned by some great method on CD or MP3.

Has anyone tried the "High Speed Thai" system? It looks pretty good but I'd like to get some input from people who have already tried it before I lay out the cash.

Excellent point, the classes are just the building blocks, the learning comes from actually practising outside with Thai's and studying , I'm lucky in that I live out of town and none

of my neighbors speak English, I might add, that they are some of the nicest people, very friendly, couldn't ask for better neighbors...

Friend of mine moved here a few years ago when he was 23-24, moved in with a Thai girl and relatives at her place, I couldn't believe how fast he picked up the language, fluent within 2 years.... without classes.... bottom line is if you want to learn something you will learn it eventually, if I had a dime for every person I met that said "I can't learn Thai" I'd have my own private jet on 24 hour stand by...

Regards.

Agreed its easy for some to pick up languages just come natural to them. How ever I am not one of them that is why I would like a one on one. How ever the two students and one teacher sounds real good to me. It is very hard to pick up tones when you are hearing disabled. I get along OK in English but their is a whole range I am missing no way so it takes time. I found two hours to be a bit long but with two students I think it would be a wonderful experience make it easier and more enjoyable.

Is there a price difference if you don't need the visa? I am on a retirement visa any how.

Would just like to see the look on the wife's face when I could say the word properly. Bought a new computer yesterday for the two grand daughters. It was perplexing when the salesman could not understand the word monitor when I said it but he said it and I had no problem understanding him.

I know that speaking it does not mean understanding it with out a lot of processing. That is why I have to tell people slow slow. I am at the point where I have to broaden my vocabulary.