Getting observed - no notice and in the 8th period

onlycw

Hi Guys

what's up? I'm feeling low. It was a long day - 5 periods teaching and it started 2 hours earlier when I wrote the handouts for this week).

To my horror, the HoD showed up in my last class, a M6/5. The students were tired, too and my plan was bad. I wanted them to fill out a form with questions for a "job application".

Lack of vocabulary

Couldn't be arsed

Speaking Thai and while I tried to explain the questions, many a student ignored my efforts and carried on loud personal conversations...

On days like this I ask myself what am I doing here?!?

How do you feel about TEFLing in Thailand at government schools?

I might be paranoid, but by choosing the last period on a day where I have 5 period to teach and then a weak class is a bad combination of factors. wish the HoD would come to the M6/2, M6/1 or M3/1 classes ;-)

How do you feel about TEFLing in Thailand at government schools?

It is and always was like that. There are/were days where you'd like to walk out and days where you're happy what you're doing.

Not much different to other jobs with the difference that you don't have any non living things in front of you.

I think such an experience is very helpful to see what actually goes wrong and you might consider to prepare your stuff earlier. Good luck!

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

@sirchai .. Dont you teach Anuban ? I know its all valid and transferable, but … it must be so hard being perfect.

OP ..

Sh*t happens mate .. and always at the worst times. Try to be a little more prepared. I always use Sunday mornings when the missus is wallowing in her pit. 5 lessons is a lot on a Monday, I have a similar workload on Mondays & Tuesdays.

I dont know how long you have been teaching in a Government school, but if you didnt already know, theres 6 weeks until the end of term, midterm's have passed, our lot did their Uni entry exams around xmas time, the kids havent yet got over the NY holiday ( my kids are also rather unsettled due to the political situation ), TT's have taken their foot off the pedal and are freewheeling until Songkran. Any teacher at my school, Thai or NES is happy when there are (ETS: M5 & M6) kids in class to teach .. but maybe thats my just my school.

It may sound 'wrong' but the last thing the M6's want at this stage in the term is a lecture, maybe at this time in the year, keep it loose, keep the target low, put them in groups, give them something they can teach themselves through a worksheet and work around the class keeping them moving. Also, at this time the kids need an aim, try to give the kids a purpose, tell them you need some scores / grades from the exercise, sometimes works.

I know its all well and good, I dont know your curriculum goals .. but i do feel for you, as there is a big gap at this time of year about what a Thai Gov school tells you / expects and what is realistically achievable.

Cheer up, stay relaxed but still try to be in control, learn from your mistakes.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 2

Make the most of it - your HoD saw you with what sounds like a difficult class and in a difficult situation.

Get as much feedback as you can. What would he/she have done differently? How would they have responded to students being tired, it being the end of the day, the discipline problems. How would they have modified your lesson plan? Take any suggestions with an open mind (even though it can hurt a bit), and try them out - hopefully they'll make your lessons better and more pleasant.

The HoD's role, and the main purpose of observations, is to support you and guide your development. At least in theory :) If they don't offer any suggestions, be pro-active, ask for them.

Edited by celso

The truth is that all teachers have good lessons and bad lessons. However if you want notice for observations so you can perfect your lesson and make yourself shine, my question is why don't you do that all the time?

I make sure that out of 6 classes a week with one group that I have at least 2 full periods that emphasize all learning methods, are fully interactive, inquirery based, and support the overal theme and unit question. I have two lessons that are more traditional with worksheets, power point presentations, lectures, and memorization. The other 2 lessons are a mixture of both.

It is hard to impossible to have stellar lessons every single period.

As for the motivation of students. I do agree with Srichai to an extent however there are periods of the day when students have no energy. I teach one group in the morning and then on the next day I teach them after lunch. There is a serious difference in their performance.

It does seem that you are unqualified, inexperienced and perhaps over your head. The good thing is that all teachers were that way at one time too. If this is something you are serious about doing, don't be too self conscious. Look at observations as a way to improve and not to judge or criticize yourself. Do as much teaher development training you can do. Read, read, read about EFL, linguistics, and teaching methodologies.

Keep plugging away in a few years you will be above water. It takes about 3-5 years for a teacher to find their true footing and that is after they have had training. So do what it takes and stay positive.

• Like 1

Sounds like the head of department maybe wanted you to have a bad class.????

Every teacher in the land, both NES and Thai, know that anything below a x/3 or x/4 are lazy, particularly with English. The students know they are going to get a pass and are happy with that. They generally don;t see the need for English as they, and most Thai students, only see it as another school subject and are happy with a 1.5 grade. They are not looking at the bigger picture. Can you blame them??????? The same beliefs go all the way to the top.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

All your answers are much appreciated. We (hopefully) will learn from unpleasant situations. And I hear you regarding having a back-up plan and being better prepared etc.

This requires much more work than having just ONE lesson plan for all the M6s etc.

Cheers,

One of the problem lies within the schedule that government schools give to their foreign teachers.

Zeichen described the perfect way to teach a particular class, one that he has the pleasure of spending 6 periods a week with.

Sadly this is not the case for many English teachers here, once a week is all that we have.

So the class that has an English lesson in the 7th or 8th period, once a week, really has a challenge on their hands.

I sympathise fully with the OP and can remember that one of my M4 classes always tried to leave the room before I could even get there.

Eventually, and with some help from the 7th period teacher, we came to an agreement.

But in the end they all passed and are probabaly languishing in some or other university today, employing the same tactics no doubt.

You mentioned that you would require more than one plan to achieve you goal and satisfy all levels.

An adaptable lesson plan is the key, One that can be expanded for x/1-3 used as is for x/4-6 and lightened up for /x7-10 or 13 in my case. Class ability isn't always the deciding factor on what plan to run, it's also a out timing as you found out.

If you dropped the easy option yesterday, your visit may have good once the HoD saw groups of kids with their heads down or laughing and joking with a relaxed instructor, instead they saw confused kids and a less than impressed lecturer.

Hope you are feeling a bit brighter today

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Honestly, you kinda damned yourself in your second line of explanations.

Couldn't be arsed

Well, assuming thats you (and not the kids) which i honestly think it probably is since i assume what the people saw was your usual class with them. But thats okay. Sometimes it feels like youve been given certain classes to babysit anyways. Ive taught some shockers. We all have. Probably that class has a reputation anyway. Talk to their normal english teacher and feel out the situation a bit. Chances are youll both be giggling about trying to get that boulder up the hill. If that doesnt work, lament that its so hard to get them to follow even the most basic instructions and how you really need a thai teacher in there to help you with discipline and translation. Tell them it doesnt even need to be an English teacher, it just needs to be a teacher they listen to and respect/fear. Recommend the PE teachers :) Your teacher will either dismiss it out of hand (but now recognise that its the fault of the students and not you because youve tried sosoooooooooo hard to get them to listen but are close to throwing the towel in) or theyll be silly enough to bring it up at a meeting where any staff will immediately veto the idea. Discussions will then begin on how tricky that class might be and the homeroom teacher will now be told to make them behave in the next class. And for one class (or ten minutes of one class) they might. But no matter what its now been deflected and seen as a problem with that class and only that class and not you. The end. :)

Chin up mate, it'll be fine.

If you have a good working relationship with the school then they'll understand and probably not be too fussed.

If they've had complaints, then it might not be so good, but hey, we all have bad days now and then, you just had the bad luck of being observed during yours. With a bit of luck they won't be too fussed either way, as they'll understand that the Farang teaching style is different to the Thai style.

You had some worksheets which is important for any Thai assessment criteria, so you're probably off to a decent start regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

One good thing I can say about my school is that they ask the foreign teachers to observe the Thai teachers using the same critique form and standards that are used when we're observed. According to the department head, many Thai teachers have a boring teaching style and we are supposed to offer suggestions to liven them up. I've only done it twice - and with teachers that I'm friendly with. But it's nice that they seem to want our ideas for improvement.

In reply to the OP, that was just a bad situation all around. Hopefully that will be just one of several observations and they will average them out.

Another thing you might want to keep in mind:

There are some Thai administrators who will use surprise observations as a way of reminding teachers who's really the boss. Observations can become a "control tool" at some schools this way. Thai admin in general LOVE to show new teachers and staff who's really running the show. They are.

And don't you forget it.

$$