Floating Marine

ExpatOilWorker

from all reports it started as an upmarket marina and they even had to distroy one of the last remaining parks in Pattaya and build a catpark with all the mod cons for the luxury boat owners, and then it became a place where all the tourist boats will be parked to get them away from that new condo that will block the view from Pratumnak hill lookout, so who knows, its not as if Pattaya city likes to be transparent about what its does with the publics money

Edited by phycokiller

Huge white elephant. Probably its main purpose was so that public officials could get kickbacks from the contractor. Does anyone know if the multi storey car park ever opened for business?post-70418-0-16873500-1389057291_thumb.j

Edited by Spalpeen

Thanks, it actually makes sense, there is no logic behind this project.

A small marina in that area would fit in well, but not a floating marina.

Yes, the only conclusion I can come to is that there is no logic behind this project.

It seems though that they have promised the developers of that giant condo that those pesky speed boats will go before the condo is finished.

Then they came up with this... gruesome! If the wind is in the right direction, there is more swell inside the marina than outside.

The seawall / breakwater does not do the intended job. Bad design.

• 1 month later...

I havent been there or seen more that the photo, but if those berths are hydraulic, and the boats are lifted out of the water, then it will be a disaster, when a storm comes from the wrong direction. Hydraulic lift systems are more for keeping the barnicules and sea weed from growing, not protecting from storm damage. The ones I have seen are all on lakes or bays, where there is very little waves and swells, from storms.

Since every project here seems to be just so someone makes a fortune, this is perfect for that. It will end up with all the other scams, in a year, it will be a piece of junk, or at least, not used, same as the car park. Havent heard the price of car parking for a day, but maybe cheaper to take a taxi.

• 2 weeks later...

The main Bali Hai pier is way overcrowded with boats and right next to it is a huge white elephant of a marina that will probably never be used. I see they just cut away the bottom of the landslip and left it at that. I predict that when the first rains come in about a months time the whole lot will be on the move again.

There are some quite large boulders waiting to slide down that embankment could very well kill someone

when they come crashing down.

You can't see in the photos but it looks like they just swept the last lot of debris straight across the road over the sea wall and into the sea.

The slope failure is what's called a rotational slip.

post-70418-0-50188900-1394276578_thumb.j

The thing you don't do with a rotational slip is to remove the material at the bottom first, because that's what's holding the rest of it back. When it rains the water will lubricate the slip surface and the whole lot will end up in the sea.

• Like 1