Since living in Thailand my teeth are deteriorating rapidly

pinkpanther99

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer your question. No, haven't had any problems while living here for 11 years.

You should use dental floss and as some others had already suggested, it's good money for the dentist(s) to give you all this pain and take your money away..

Here's a good way to help yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60NSM_EHmuw wai2.gif

But to be fair, Thai and American standards of dental hygiene and dentistry are quite different to that of the British.

American v British teeth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7633254.stm

By Vanessa Barford
BBC News
999999.gif

Ricky Gervais is the first to admit that his teeth are neither white nor straight - and Americans mistakenly think he wears bad false teeth for comedic purposes. Why the dental divide?

British teeth are not like American teeth.

Hollywood smiles are pearly white paragons of straightness. British teeth might be described as having character.

o.gif
_45047202_gervais226afp.jpg
start_quote_rb.gifThese are my real teeth. You think I'd wear them all the time if they weren't real? end_quote_rb.gif
Ricky Gervais' reply to interviewer remarking on his 'false teeth'

So much character, in fact, that Ricky Gervais says one US journalist complimented him on being prepared to wear unflattering false teeth for his role as an English dentist in his latest film, Ghost Town. Only he didn't.

"He was horrified that I could have such horrible real teeth. It's like the biggest difference between the Brits and the Americans, they are obsessed with perfect teeth," says Gervais.

HI.CHECK HOW YOUR MOTHER AND FATHERS TEETH WERE LIKE AND YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW YOUR TEETH WILL LAST.IT IS IN THE GENES

attachicon.gifcaps lock.jpg

Partly in the genes, partly a matter of personal hygiene or its absence, but it can also be impacted by moderate to bad cases of acid reflux that can cause a great deal of damage to teeth over time.

IMHO, I think many Thai dentists are very proactive about cavities - more so than there western counterparts. I've had quite a few cavities filled or fillings replaced since I have lived here. I've also had a dentist repair several crowns instead of replacing them. I've always had problems with food getting stuck between my teeth which is a cause of cavities for sure. Now, I use the small brush to clean between my teeth in addition to floss. It has helped a lot.

The small brush, in addition to the flossing really helps. Additionally I use, on a recommendation from my dentist, a rubber ended piece that I work along my gums every morning. All three components, in addition to brushing with a soft brush two to three times a day are a part of my daily routine.

While most dentists are a pleasant lot, I prefer my own daily maintenance routine which leads to much shorter, easier annual check ups.

Of course the quality of one's teeth is really largely dependent on good genetics.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Of course, you need to floss (2x a day at least).

I am suspecting the OP might be using local TOOTHPASTE with strong whitening properties. Or actual local whiteners. Some of these products are horrible and very abrasive so if you use them over time especially with harder brushing (which is common) you will cause abrasion damage requiring fillings. Yes this happened to me and I am certain the dentist was NOT scamming me.

Anyway -- I would be very cautious about using any local whitening products that are abrasive.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

How often do you have routine check-ups in Thailand?

In the US, I had dental insurance and had them every 6 months without fail. Got on problems very early. I can't say that for here, even though dental care is not that expensive.

Yes, this is a good point. Perhaps I haven't not been going to the dentist as often as I should. Regular check ups every 6 months in the UK

in thialand people generaly drink bottled water so there would be no benefit to putting flouride in the tap water supply. (not that flouride prevents cavitys - google the other side of flouride if you want both sides).

if you dont floss then you are leaving rotten food particles between your teeth. you havent said that you floss. why dont you floss. i cant really understand why anyone would not floss. it is the equivelent to not brushing 30 years ago.

to me the answer is simple: clean your teeth more thoroughly by adding flossing. get a second opinion - just pop in to another dentist.

however, you may well be having a simple onset of deteriation. i go to the dentist for a clean/check every 3 months and i have still required 3 root canals in the past 2 years. i have had the same thai dentist for 15 years. but it was a different dentist in bangkok who told me that i needed (my first root canal). so when my regular dentist told me the next time i went i knew he was not cheating.

soooo .... it seems even with regular check ups and cleaning and flosssing if the teeth decide to pack up then there is little to stop them.

thats my story anyhow .... phew!!!!!!

Could be an over-zealous dentist. More fillings = more money.

BTW you really should be flossing, too.

Over-zealous dentist? Happens too often in Thailand and often in USA too.

Yes, floss! That is where cavities form, but seldom on surfaces.

Do you drink alcohol more or use AC? Dry mouth gives less saliva that kills bacteria.

But, statistacally, age is at the point you will begin to have problems. Do the above, seek out a fair dentist, and suck it up age wise. Sorry smile.png

Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, I should floss more.

I rarely drink alcohol and can easily go a couple of months without having a beer or wine.

Interesting you mention AC, I would never have thought this could be a contributing factor. We use the AC most nights.

AC dehumidifies the air as well as cooling it. I think the danger is overstated, but some people claim it really bothers them.

Could be an over-zealous dentist. More fillings = more money.

BTW you really should be flossing, too.

Some years ago while on holiday in Chiang Mai, my son went to the dentist to have his teeth whitened. The dentist told him he'd have to have a check up and a clean first and my son was told that he needed 8 fillings and asked how long he was staying. He was really alarmed at this, especially as he'd been moving around frequently for the previous few years and had neglected to have his teeth checked. When he got home he went straight to the dentist and lo and behold - a full set of healthy teeth!

So yes, I think maybe you've had unnecessary treatment unfortunately.

My dentist always shows me everything. He has a tiny camera to show me the problems on the screen. And if a filling is needed or not is very easy to see even if you have no clue at all.

But it is an expensive dentist....or well maybe after all he isn't expensive as I needed 3 fillings in 15 years and a cheap dentist (and zero for the last 10 years) would have sold me 30 fillings....

And of course every time I have a nice chat on the condition of the teeth and what to improve/change.

in thialand people generaly drink bottled water so there would be no benefit to putting flouride in the tap water supply. (not that flouride prevents cavitys - google the other side of flouride if you want both sides).

if you dont floss then you are leaving rotten food particles between your teeth. you havent said that you floss. why dont you floss. i cant really understand why anyone would not floss. it is the equivelent to not brushing 30 years ago.

to me the answer is simple: clean your teeth more thoroughly by adding flossing. get a second opinion - just pop in to another dentist.

however, you may well be having a simple onset of deteriation. i go to the dentist for a clean/check every 3 months and i have still required 3 root canals in the past 2 years. i have had the same thai dentist for 15 years. but it was a different dentist in bangkok who told me that i needed (my first root canal). so when my regular dentist told me the next time i went i knew he was not cheating.

soooo .... it seems even with regular check ups and cleaning and flosssing if the teeth decide to pack up then there is little to stop them.

specially on the root canal I would like to see all the evidence.....in the family we have things that need to be urgently made since 30 years...urgently because the dentist must pay for his new BMW.....My wisdom teeth for example they must be removed because they'll always cause me problems......my last and only problem was a small infection on the gum 23 years ago....I still have them healthy.

Of course, you need to floss (2x a day at least).

I am suspecting the OP might be using local TOOTHPASTE with strong whitening properties. Or actual local whiteners. Some of these products are horrible and very abrasive so if you use them over time especially with harder brushing (which is common) you will cause abrasion damage requiring fillings. Yes this happened to me and I am certain the dentist was NOT scamming me.

Anyway -- I would be very cautious about using any local whitening products that are abrasive.

yes these toothpaste for smoker to make teeth white rub causes problems....

But to be fair, Thai and American standards of dental hygiene and dentistry are quite different to that of the British.

American v British teeth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7633254.stm

By Vanessa Barford

BBC News

999999.gif

Ricky Gervais is the first to admit that his teeth are neither white nor straight - and Americans mistakenly think he wears bad false teeth for comedic purposes. Why the dental divide?

British teeth are not like American teeth.

Hollywood smiles are pearly white paragons of straightness. British teeth might be described as having character.

o.gif
_45047202_gervais226afp.jpg
start_quote_rb.gifThese are my real teeth. You think I'd wear them all the time if they weren't real? end_quote_rb.gif
Ricky Gervais' reply to interviewer remarking on his 'false teeth'

So much character, in fact, that Ricky Gervais says one US journalist complimented him on being prepared to wear unflattering false teeth for his role as an English dentist in his latest film, Ghost Town. Only he didn't.

"He was horrified that I could have such horrible real teeth. It's like the biggest difference between the Brits and the Americans, they are obsessed with perfect teeth," says Gervais.

well last time I was in USA (which is a while ago) I saw a lot people with missing teeth.......at poor people. But maybe that is just the same as in Britain....

I have a really good dentist here and you're right about the water. Ask your dentist to advise you of the best mouthwash you can use. My dentist did this and even though I live away from the cities, I was able to buy it from the local pharmacy at a very reasonable price and use it daily.

Make sure your toothpaste and mouthwash contain fluoride, Many in Thailand do not, especially the mouthwash. According to my UK dentist fluoride is the only necessary ingredient in mouth wash.

Always brush before sleep even though its tempting not to if tired after booze and/or nooky...........If you dont your teeth are rotting away unnecessarily for 8 hours!

Not a bad idea, as required, to rinse yer todger with mouthwash too thumbsup.gif!!!

Clean teeth after breakfast too not before.

specially on the root canal I would like to see all the evidence.....in the family we have things that need to be urgently made since 30 years...urgently because the dentist must pay for his new BMW.....My wisdom teeth for example they must be removed because they'll always cause me problems......my last and only problem was a small infection on the gum 23 years ago....I still have them healthy.

i was always shown the xrays showing the cavitys. you could be right about needing tp pay for his car. however when i have sujested a problem with other things that may have involved expensive rework he has told me after examination that it was ok and not needed. one never knows really.

then again wth the root canals why would he not have simply suggested crowns which is the lions share or the cost and much less work for him?

HI.CHECK HOW YOUR MOTHER AND FATHERS TEETH WERE LIKE AND YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW YOUR TEETH WILL LAST.IT IS IN THE GENES

my mothers teeth were rubbish. in fact when i was a kid i had the same front tooth which had no enamel on the front - exactly same place as she did. anyhow she has had falseys since she was bout 30 (she's 80 now). my teeth are unfortunately the same. but i have crowns and bridges, root canals, etc. if this was 50 years ago then obviously id have had falseys on a pallet as she has.

and as i said before i floss and clean twice per day and go to the dentist for cleaning and check every 3 or 6 months max.

however, my father died with all his teeth in good condition and was never one for the dentist - unless he had a problem. my younger brother is the same. he went to the dentist for the first time in 8 years and didnt need a thing. all his own teeth. he doesnt even know what floss looks like.

Edited by jonesthebaker

My father mouth was totally replaced when he was in his 30s' , each teeth . My brother and i in nearly 30 years of life only needed 2 root canals and 2 fillings .

1. Improve your general health...proper diet (veggies), exercise.

2. Brush with baking soda, rinse with 3% hydrogen peroxide (both locally available & cheap).

3. Practice 'oil pulling' with coconut oil (YouTube for details)

Or not...up to you.

My general health is very good. I exercise daily, play football often, Muay Thai, crossfit, i'm a fitness fanatic really.

Also, my diet is good, i'm careful about what i eat.

I'll check out oil pulling, but don't hydrogen peroxide going anywhere near my mouth

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

10 years ago I was told that they stopped using hydrogen peroxide on cuts. That was in a first aid course I took put on by St. James ambulance and also a nurse friend of mine. It apparently could cause more harm. I believe it would burn the area surrounding where it was put on cuts and what not.

Well done OP having the good idea to ask this forum for ideas.

I hope we have been able to help you make informed choices. Good luck.

Here are my few cents worth smile.png

Having healthy teeth and gums is critical to health and longevity.

BTW, so is having the right balance of good and bad bacteria in and on your body, particularly in the mouth.

The Fluoride story is BS - do some research.

The fluoride found in teeth is different to what they add to water/tooth paste etc. and in miniscule amounts.

The fluoride is incorporated as the teeth grow, not later. Too much of the type of fluoride they add damages growing teeth.

We have been brainwashed.

Check the acidity of mouthwashes, they can do the same damage as acid reflux.

Buy Interproximal brushes, there are many sizes and types, have a Google.

Having the ability to poke trapped food from between the teeth is essential, as good as or in some cases, better than the floss.

If you have bridges, it is almost impossible to floss, even with the special in with a stiffened end.

The OP doesn't like Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) - I wonder why, maybe because of all the additives?

If you can get 3% food grade or even technical grade it's the best bacteria promoter/killer.

Promotes the good and kills the bad.

I have many implants which are prone to infections.

If I properly clean my teeth and rinse with H2O2, I never have problems.

Infections can easily be cured with H2O2.Including minor cuts to skin etc.

Someone mentioned heart problems from mouth bacteria - Spot on.

Do some research.

Eat plenty of raw or near vegetables and little meat and grains. Such an alkaline diet can actually repair small caries.

A couple of weeks of a veg juice fast would be a good thing to do every year.

I have a dentist in Bangkok and she is very good. I had a 4 point bridge supported on a wisdom tooth at one end and on a root canal filled tooth at the other.

The root canal had cracked and she suggested that I wait until I returned to my home country before having it treated.

All dentists are not equal (world wide).

Someone mentioned metal fillings.

It is an amalgam of mercury and silver and is very bad for you - have a Google. Do not have them in your teeth.

Modern white fillings are non-toxic.

Some good dentists know this. 25 or more years ago, my UK dentist suggested he remove the many thet I had.

It needs special care when removing them, if not done correctly, can cause sever damage to you.

Even the American Dental Association is now advising against amalgam fillings.

There will be those who criticize this advise and relay on Big Pharma. Up to them.

Do your own research! Make an informed choice, even get your healthy teeth back.

I also use a Braun Oral B electric toothbrush and a

Braun Oral-B Professional Care dental water jet OxyJet, there are many makes to choose from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothbrush