moving back to the states

Tanis

I need to prove intent that I am returning to america so the consular will grant my wife her IR-1 visa and I thought opening up an account with BOA BKK would be easier than opening up an account in america. I was wrong.

Not to mention that opening an account with a bank that just happens to be owned by a holding company with historical ties to the US has little do with your intention to return to the US.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The account has been opened and money will be deposited sometimes this week into the account. We will probably send my wife's passport to the consular at the end of the month after she has been paid and after she reports to immigration for her 90 days along with all the other "evidence" that I have accumulated.

Edit:

The account is a US based with an American address. .

Edited by Tanis

Maybe you can try this bank......www.usaa.com they are based in Texas.

I called them from LOS and opened a checking acct over the phone.

I annually transfer money into that acct from my Bangkok Bank acct. It costs about 1,100 baht.

They mailed me an ATM card to my address in Thailand.

I don't understand

You are a US citizen married to a Thai and you want to return to the states long term right?

If that's the case, and you already told the US embassy of your intend to do so,

then they will never let your wife to go there with anything else other than a permanent resident visa, (green card). Anything else would be an attempt to circumvent the process.

If they give her a tourist visa, they know that she most likely will not return,when the visa expired, and stay there while trying to get a green card.

I think you are putting the cart before the horse.

First thing is you would need a place to return to right? I mean even if your wife got a visa, you are not going to arrive there

get out of the airport an start looking for a place to live.

Second, if you and your wife are going to live there long term, she will need to get a green card. A green card can take as long as a year, so if your wife goes there with anything other than a permanent resident visa, she will have to return to Thailand when the visa expires.

Unless I misunderstand your question this is what I would do.

First I would go to the US by my self , find a palace to live, or establish a residence at your own place,a relatives or friends place, apply for a permanent residence visa for your wife. chose to be notified by email so that you keep track of her process regardless of where you are.

Then return to Thailand, and when your wife get's her green card, you both go to the US together

Or is this what you are trying to do, but you are trying to establish a residence with out going there? IMO a short trip there would be the best way to do that.

This is similar to what I did with my Thai fiance a long time ago, I went to the US by my self

(it was a little easier for me because I already had an address there}, applied for her fiance visa, and went back to Thailand

(in fact I went back to the US a couple of times because I had business there)

When she got her fiance visa, we both went to the US together, got married there, applied for a change of status, etc, etc, fast forward a few years ahead, Happily married, wife an american citizen, splitting our time between Thailand and the US.

Or am'I misunderstanding, and you an your wife just want to go and visit there? Is so , why would you need a bank account there? All you would need to do would be show to the embassy that your wife has reasons to return to Thailand and not stay in the US.

I had my local congressman write a letter inviting my wife to visit.

When we were dating she was denied, then we were married and we applied for a tourist visa for her, with this letter it was an instant success. She told me that the guy read the letter and basically went "Huh, ok well, I still have to run down the basic questions". He then gave her the visa.

Maybe you can try this bank......www.usaa.com they are based in Texas.

I called them from LOS and opened a checking acct over the phone.

I annually transfer money into that acct from my Bangkok Bank acct. It costs about 1,100 baht.

They mailed me an ATM card to my address in Thailand.

USAA's currently will only open a new account for military or military-related. It was different in the past, but that's the requirement now.

As long as you have a good maildrop/forwarding service, just instruct them to call you (on your nickel of course) when any government-official paperwork arrives, they can fax/scan&email the notice to you.

Writing a simple letter to the court stating you're currently living overseas for at least a year, and requesting to be taken off the jury list worked just fine for me.

And note even if you are found in contempt, a decent excuse like this is usually enough so at most you pay a fine.

You are giving legal advice, and this you should be aware of:

If a person has a tax or other citizen-resident reason to be an ex-pat, and then decides to get a drivers license, and then, try to claim that they aren't a resident and should be dismissed fom jury duty,

you are setting yourself up for bigger problems than you are outlining for this OP,

my suggestion, see a tax lawyer, AND an immigration lawyer upon returning to the States, or if the Embassy can do anything here in Thailand, but I can tell you that, the Voting release restrictions are tight, and not so easily dismissed by fine, they become crimes, which carry jail terms, not just fines

He wants to ESTABLISH residence in the states.

You brought up the scenario where he's not physically there.

The court clerks don't care or cross-reference your tax status, just show proof you're living out of the coutnry, fax them your passport entry/exit stamps, no problem.

Of course once he and his tilac are in fact settled over there then he'll need to do jury duty.

He wants to ESTABLISH residence in the states.

You brought up the scenario where he's not physically there.

The court clerks don't care or cross-reference your tax status, just show proof you're living out of the coutnry, fax them your passport entry/exit stamps, no problem.

Of course once he and his tilac are in fact settled over there then he'll need to do jury duty.

Someone suggested the drivers license,

my suggestions are derived solely from the ramifications of that,

once he or she tries to pull the, " I dont live there" routine, on the US Court systems, they may also be contradicting their tax status claims,

this is like buying the rope to hand someone and then testing it by hanging yourself,

What "tax status claim"? Again, he's not trying to avoid any taxes, he wants to establish and keep legal residency IN the states, even when he's not physically there.

Everyone's happy with that situation, no misrepresentations to anyone, no need to do jury duty.

Of course better to do this in one of the states with no state income tax, but that may not be important to him either. . .

If a person has a tax or other citizen-resident reason to be an ex-pat, and then decides to get a drivers license, and then, try to claim that they aren't a resident and should be dismissed fom jury duty,

you are setting yourself up for bigger problems than you are outlining for this OP,

my suggestion, see a tax lawyer, AND an immigration lawyer upon returning to the States, or if the Embassy can do anything here in Thailand, but I can tell you that, the Voting release restrictions are tight, and not so easily dismissed by fine, they become crimes, which carry jail terms, not just fines

What is a "voting release restriction?"

You have to prove you are over a certain age, that may be over 72, or you are caring for a dying spouse, or family member,

other than that, a driver license obligates you to several laws, one of them, is voting, and if you fail to appear, a bench warrant is issued;PERIOD

I've never heard of compulsory voting in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_voting#Enforced

And as I said, I've had no problem getting out of jury duty by showing I'm currently overseas. three times in fifteen years. I really can't imagine a jurisdiction thinking you're going to pay for round-trip international plane tickets for that. . .

Seriously, what state are you talking about?

You have to prove you are over a certain age, that may be over 72, or you are caring for a dying spouse, or family member,

other than that, a driver license obligates you to several laws, one of them, is voting, and if you fail to appear, a bench warrant is issued;PERIOD

Nonsense

• Like 2

Correction:

I meant, cumpulsory jury duty, not voting.....

the voters card can get you a bullet in the head from an IRS agent though in the future, if you register as a tea party member,

I have had friends threatened by IRS agents, for their affiliation w the tea party, with physical attack

There is a branch of the Bangkok Bank in New York. I don't know if that would qualify for your needs but you could ask. Just open a BKK Bank account in Thailand and transfer the money to the US?

The other option would be a Charles Schwab Investor account. They will want a US address (which you evidently have established) but they use that days international exchange rate on all international transactions with no conversion charges. They also pay back any non-Schwab ATM fees anywhere in the world. You can easily do an interbank transfer once you have an account established and these guys are the best in not hosing you with various fees. Chase and Wells Fargo truly suck.

There is a branch of the Bangkok Bank in New York. I don't know if that would qualify for your needs but you could ask. Just open a BKK Bank account in Thailand and transfer the money to the US?

The other option would be a Charles Schwab Investor account. They will want a US address (which you evidently have established) but they use that days international exchange rate on all international transactions with no conversion charges. They also pay back any non-Schwab ATM fees anywhere in the world. You can easily do an interbank transfer once you have an account established and these guys are the best in not hosing you with various fees. Chase and Wells Fargo truly suck.

I have seen Citibank offices here, but, not sire if they are actually doing "banking"

But, I am seeing them in storefronts

A Bangkok Bank branch in NYC, is interesting

I'm curious....why are there 7 states in America where you don't pay income tax? Is it to encourage people to move there?

> It is also one of just 7 states that doesn't have a state income tax.

Whether a state decides to have a state income tax - on top of the federal one all US citizens must pay - is up to the voters of that state.

Same with sales taxes etc, which in some cases are added to by a given city on top of the state one.

The populations of some states are just anti-tax in general and do their best to keep their level of government as small as possible.

Schools are often largely funded from local real estate taxes, which is why there is so much variation from one town or county to the next.

Correct,

Also, low population states such as Alaska, Nevada, do use this as a mechanism to incentivize possible retirees and others to relocate or remain in their state.

Scarpalo,

Some of the ideas behind your rants are of interest, but he way you express yourself I believe alienates many of those you're trying to reach.

And the tinfoil hat conspiracy stuff is simply not of interest to 99% of us here. Yes I realize that makes me one of the sheeple in your eyes, so be it.

Maybe I'm in the employ of a three-letter-agency trying to suppress your freedom of speech. Well if so we have more effective ways - are your accessing TV via Tor and a private VPN run by trusted personal friends?

If not, realize odds are good the black helicopters are on their way.

Edited by wym

I have seen Citibank offices here, but, not sire if they are actually doing "banking"

But, I am seeing them in storefronts

A Bangkok Bank branch in NYC, is interesting

The Citibank subsidiary in Thailand is mostly involved in consumer credit, not so much retail banking.

Opening an account with them doesn't buy you anything, still have to use SWIFT to transfer money to your US account whether Citibank or another the same.

The Bangkok Bank NY office won't let you open an account there, but you can wire funds through that location via ACH at domestic rates to any Thailand BBK account, cheapest way AFAIK to sned larger amounts of money here from the US.

I'm curious....why are there 7 states in America where you don't pay income tax? Is it to encourage people to move there?

Whether a state decides to have a state income tax - on top of the federal one all US citizens must pay - is up to the voters of that state.

Same with sales taxes etc, which in some cases are added to by a given city on top of the state one.

The populations of some states are just anti-tax in general and do their best to keep their level of government as small as possible.

Schools are often largely funded from local real estate taxes, which is why there is so much variation from one town or county to the next.

Correct,

Also, low population states such as Alaska, Nevada, do use this as a mechanism to incentivize possible retirees and others to relocate or remain in their state.

In no-state-income-tax Florida we just stick it to the tourists via hotel and car rental taxes.

I was thinking Citibank to open an account to qualify for the retirement Visa.

not necessarily to bank there,

Bangkok Bank seems everywhere, and ATM's are as plentiful as 7-11's here, which makes Thailands number one commodity easier to access.

To the poster that doesnt liek the delivery?

You don't like basis New York straight in your face language, I get it,

but anyone desiring to move back to the States, better wipe their hard drives,

leave behind their thailand cell phones, bury their US phone,

and never use one again,.

TOR is safe, so safe in fact, that Facebook and Google, both tools of the CIA, don't like it to the point that, when you sign on using TOR, they immediately freeze your account until you reapply passwords, so their NSA buddies can reaccess you individualy again, as you just dropped yourself off their "instant access" feature.

only old cell phone, not smart phones, are safe,

the ones that only make calls, no SMS, no camera, no remote accessible microphone,

I am truly sorry for the poster who thinks the message should be sweetened,

but don't expect to be told the new resettlement and interment camps will be better than the last one's

the difference this time, is the slaves will be fed, so they can be slaves longer

Correct,

In no-state-income-tax Florida we just stick it to the tourists via hotel and car rental taxes.

Dont forget the taxi's

a 30 minute ride ina taxi in BKK, without traffic, is maximum 300 baht, $10.00

In Floirda that same ride, say Fort Lauderdale Airport to Miami airport, $ 70.00

I think taxy is around 100 bahts from mo chit to Dan muang airport. This is what I paid.

Anyway, once in the usa country. call irs. U find number at www.irs.gov

I m sure they need to review your last 8 years tax report, and your fbar....

Get the number of a good lawyer before arriving in usa Republic . I m sure it could be very helpful while your detention. Just kidding.... Eheheheh!

Welcome home my friend....

Edited by Idontpaytaxsowhat

Woow chaps! . Better to remain clear of USA after reading all these very ugly posts.

Even as a tourist if u stay more than 183 days in the American dream country they want you to pay tax to USA, what for? . Anything is good to empty your pockets.

All I see here it s each time we talk about USA, we talk about tax. Tax usa usa tax... Is it all you know to do in your #1 country,? taxing people? What about creating job, be healthy, saving. And paying your debts? It doesn't exist any more in this number 1 country.

I don't really see the point for someone from free thailand to move back to the ton ton macout USA unless he miss his relatives.

Do some research. The tax in the US is now where near the highest. Try Norway or one of the other Scandinavian countries. Just seems people like to bitch about the US more than other countries.