Is the 1st world exportin its "problems" to Thailand?

SebD

Is it just me, or is there a pattern emerging?

Reported on 5th January (my daughter sent it to me and asked if I'd booked my room yet - LOL).

Exporting Grandma to care homes abroad

An earlier thread I started (with no real idea my suspicions might be so quickly confirmed):

Elderly expats escaping UK reality for the Pattaya dream

And believe it or not, I'm conservative (with a small "C").

What's your problem? Inwards tourism is enormously important for the Thai economy, and value adding by the provision of expensive medical, dental, hospital, and other clinical services is surely good for the economy, and, by extension, the working population.

It is also clearly good in that the provision of these services allows westerners (and others) who could not otherwise afford them to access quality products and services.

In what way is this a bad, or exploitative, thing?

The west has been exporting its hippies, drug addicts, wanted criminals and sex maniacs to Thailand for a long time.

Respectable elderly and consumers of medical services are definitely positive trend.

<deleted> ? why do you have "hippies" included in your list of undesirables? If you are trying to be inclusive, please include whichever catagory you place yourself in as we have too many here with similar attitudes already.

• Like 1

My criticism (and there IS one) is not with Thailand which is reaping the benefits and providing help, aid and solace (of sorts, sometimes) to the vulnerable ones requiring LOS's hospitality. It's aimed at the Western governments who have happily taken the best of these folks' lives and contributions to society and its welfare, through taxes and social security contributions, but then makes it so darned difficult to cash-in on their previous financial investments/state-insurance-contributions that it's easier to flee abroad, rather than spend their twilight years with their loved ones and/or descendants.

Apologies if my OP was misunderstood.

Edited by SebD
  • Like 1

I posted the "exporting Grandma" article. Seeing the cost of care in the UK, the often pretty unsatisfactory standards (to put it mildly) as exposed by various media exposes, it seems to have its merits. Too outlandish for any government to consider maybe....little bit like drug legalisation.

• Like 1

I posted the "exporting Grandma" article. Seeing the cost of care in the UK, the often pretty unsatisfactory standards (to put it mildly) as exposed by various media exposes, it seems to have its merits. Too outlandish for any government to consider maybe....little bit like drug legalisation.

Sorry, Roamer, I didn't see it.

Maybe the moderators could merge the threads.

I agree with what you say. I know where I plan to end my days....and it ain't in the land of fog, rain and cold air (even colder women - LOL).

But I'll do it through choice and design, not necessity I hope.

This is the tip of an iceberg I'd imagine, though.

Thanks for replying.smile.png

When foreign media talk about Thailands political problems they are full of crap etc....but when an article apears by foreign media concerning eldery care al is good. Strange.........apperently a happy few from switserland have a bussines to promote in Thailand ,i for one do not believe that one of the richest countrys in the world would put all theyre old folks on a one way ticket to "heaven" Edited by Kudel
  • Like 1

When foreign media talk about Thailands political problems they are full of crap etc....but when an article apears by foreign media concerning eldery care al is good. Strange.........

Ain't that the truth!!

As I suspect........patterns and icebergs.

Could even make an interesting (as opposed to boring) alternative Western media report on Thailand, as opposed to the usual salacious sex-tourist ones.

.........apperently a happy few from switserland have a bussines to promote in Thailand ,i for one do not believe that one of the richest countrys in the world would put all theyre old folks on a one way ride to Thailand .

You added that AFTER I had replied to your post.

More fool you, if you don't believe it,

I know what I believe and it's that Switzerland doesn't house some of the richest (if not THE richest - period) folk in the world through bending over backwards in looking after its poor and/or vulnerable.

One of us is exhibiting his naivety on this particular point (hope it's not me).

.........apperently a happy few from switserland have a bussines to promote in Thailand ,i for one do not believe that one of the richest countrys in the world would put all theyre old folks on a one way ride to Thailand .

I know what I believe and it's that Switzerland doesn't house some of the richest (if not THE richest - period) folk in the world through bending over backwards in looking after its poor and/or vulnerable.

One of us is exhibiting his naivety on this particular point (hope it's not me).

Well after 9/11 switserland had to give up some of its banking secrets,i do hope you know how to use a search engine on the net?

Well after 9/11 switserland had to give up some of its banking secrets,i do hope you know how to use a search engine on the net?

You got me.

I scratched my head and google'd like a demented person but......I confess I can't trump that (can't even attempt to answer it).

(Is it even English?).