Thailand on the brink

webfact

I found the article very informative and feel the same - Thailand on the brink - it is different this time to the others. I was here for the 1991 event and remember Suchinda on his face before the King for being responsible for the many deaths. The yellow shirt mob were responsible for many businesses collapsing because of the airport shut down - I had a Guest House and tourists stopped coming. The red shirts had the idea that there could be FAIRNESS for ALL, not just the elite in BKK - the elite still don't understand that BKK isn't Thailand - it's just a small part of the whole which includes the north and the north east with its multi millions.

The 'brink' is nearly here when those southern provinces could easily 'break away' and even the northern provinces could be thinking the same way - I know many who talk this way in the area I live in.

I was with an Indonesia journalist when he interviewed Dr Weng at the red shirt event and was impressed with his answers to every question. The jounalist was from Tempo magazine - highly respected in Indonesia - similar to Time magazine. The theme hasn't changed, FAIRNESS to ALL.

I've followed Thai Visa for years and years but only recently decided to come out of the silent majority to speak because I have found many of the posts offensive, childish, arrogant, pitiful, hurtful, senseless, uninformed and particularly obnoxious those posts that snear at how a person looks - reptilian etc -. This forum is read by thousands and thousands so civility is to be remembered in your public comments.

On the brink and less than a week to go - I love being here and I hope I can say the same in 10 days time

I think most of us would like fairness for all but to suggest that there are eleven million 'elite' voters in Thailand who voted for the Dems last time is pushing it a bit don't you think? And judging from the double digit swing away from PTP in the election for the Bangkok governor if that were to be repeated in a national election the PTP's 4 million vote margin would be compromised even further.

The kingdom has many issues and sadly none of the current politicians have shown any indication that they have the ability to solve them. That is Thailand's dilemma.

Don't think so, I think the elections would be even more of a landslide for the North, the main thing that Suthep has done is to show the true colors of the Dems and what they really think of the people, he has only made them stronger and more determined. He has involved many people who really did not care about the elections or that did not take the time to vote, that will now go vote.

I am sure that you and all your friends believe that hype, but I am afraid Thaksins is aging like a bottle of fine urine, he's getting on the nose and loosing friends hand over fist. Without him the PTP are nothing, they will sell themselves cheaply to any that will take them.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best summaries of the current situation I have read - relatively unbiased, presenting both sides, capturing the weird aspects of this crisis. Better than anything I have seen in The Post or The Nation. Only one problem, it just doesn't tell me what is going to happen. Will we have a coup next week? Or before Feb 2? Or after? What are the Generals thinking?

• Like 1

The thing I see as most unfortunate is in the fact nobody is sitting down to talk. Diametrically opposed or not, you come to the table, lay down your grievances and discuss them, irrespective of the politics. One will slam me for saying that but sometimes partisan politics must be set aside and cooler heads forced to prevail. This has bloomed well beyond political and professional civility.

It would be refreshing to see someone step up and say..., "Let's agree to a cooling down period beginning TODAY, potentially even through end of February, then see where we are in the apparent impasse".

Nobody is going to win on the current situation or as it continues to unfold. Don't see this happening but I wish someone would at least make a good attempt at it.

But then there is no discussion..........

I found the article very informative and feel the same - Thailand on the brink - it is different this time to the others. I was here for the 1991 event and remember Suchinda on his face before the King for being responsible for the many deaths. The yellow shirt mob were responsible for many businesses collapsing because of the airport shut down - I had a Guest House and tourists stopped coming. The red shirts had the idea that there could be FAIRNESS for ALL, not just the elite in BKK - the elite still don't understand that BKK isn't Thailand - it's just a small part of the whole which includes the north and the north east with its multi millions.

The 'brink' is nearly here when those southern provinces could easily 'break away' and even the northern provinces could be thinking the same way - I know many who talk this way in the area I live in.

I was with an Indonesia journalist when he interviewed Dr Weng at the red shirt event and was impressed with his answers to every question. The jounalist was from Tempo magazine - highly respected in Indonesia - similar to Time magazine. The theme hasn't changed, FAIRNESS to ALL.

I've followed Thai Visa for years and years but only recently decided to come out of the silent majority to speak because I have found many of the posts offensive, childish, arrogant, pitiful, hurtful, senseless, uninformed and particularly obnoxious those posts that snear at how a person looks - reptilian etc -. This forum is read by thousands and thousands so civility is to be remembered in your public comments.

On the brink and less than a week to go - I love being here and I hope I can say the same in 10 days time

I think most of us would like fairness for all but to suggest that there are eleven million 'elite' voters in Thailand who voted for the Dems last time is pushing it a bit don't you think? And judging from the double digit swing away from PTP in the election for the Bangkok governor if that were to be repeated in a national election the PTP's 4 million vote margin would be compromised even further.

The kingdom has many issues and sadly none of the current politicians have shown any indication that they have the ability to solve them. That is Thailand's dilemma.

Don't think so, I think the elections would be even more of a landslide for the North, the main thing that Suthep has done is to show the true colors of the Dems and what they really think of the people, he has only made them stronger and more determined. He has involved many people who really did not care about the elections or that did not take the time to vote, that will now go vote.

Its been my private opinion that Suthep is Thaksin's double agent; if anything is designed waverers and people who lost faith with the PT back to voting for them, its Suthep's antics in Bangkok.

Suthep and the PDRC really need to spell out exactly what 'reforms' they hope to carry out and try to make them seem worth achieving, if not, PT could well end up gaining votes from the last election and make these protests look even more ridiculous than they already are; if they can reduce the number of votes for the PT then it can at partly justify their position. Its not the North and NE that is important here, its how people in the central and eastern provinces will vote; if anybody is given a chance to vote that is.

Yeah, communists have a long tradition in fairness right?

A well-written piece. It makes me wish Thailand could reform, but not Suthep's way. They need to find a way go sweep away the main protagonists and try to elect those who might engage in non-confrontational politics (at least for a while!) to give the country some time to recover from this turmoil.

But that is western-style thinking..... TiT. ?

you don't get fair elections without reforms first.

What will be fair, a Dem victory?

• Like 2

I have sympathy for the just cause of the poor and uneducated. I can also understand why some Forrest Gumps love this article. The sorry truth, however, is that it is extremely unbalanced, repeating demagogic statements without quoting the sources. Freelance journalists write for a living. PR journalism can be more effective than advertising. That is why it is better paid. The use of the term "truth" should be avoided in this discussion. Believe whatever will make you happy.

• Like 2

Its been my private opinion that Suthep is Thaksin's double agent; if anything is designed waverers and people who lost faith with the PT back to voting for them, its Suthep's antics in Bangkok.

Suthep and the PDRC really need to spell out exactly what 'reforms' they hope to carry out and try to make them seem worth achieving, if not, PT could well end up gaining votes from the last election and make these protests look even more ridiculous than they already are; if they can reduce the number of votes for the PT then it can at partly justify their position. Its not the North and NE that is important here, its how people in the central and eastern provinces will vote; if anybody is given a chance to vote that is.

Exactly. Obviously Suthep isn't really Thaksin's agent, but I can definitely see the case for it. Since pretty much the end of November they seem to have done their best to sabotage their own cause. Certainly after house was dissolved...

As for reforms, it was interesting to read Sanitsuda's article in the post earlier (Suthep 'reform' just another empty promise). She's always been one of the best writers at the Post. Certainly she's no PT fan, quite the opposite, but she's always been fair & also realistic, I feel. Read what she says about Suthep backtracking on local reform already. PT in 2012 tried to re-introduce elected kamnan and village chiefs, but shelved the idea after an outcry by kamnan nationwide. Suthep announced plans to decentralize, but the kamnan came out against him fearing it may spell the end for their lifelong tenures. So instead of merely announcing he'd maintain the status quo, he actually promised to elevate them further.

The problem that governments have in reforming is that the politicians within the government benefit from the system, so most are naturally against reforms that would change this. But why shouldn't that be the same with the Council? Should the Council actually come to power, they will have to go back to the people eventually for an election (or at least that's what they say). And when they do, they'll naturally try to get the support of the likes of Newin and Banharn over to their side and try to do a deal (as the junta tried to arrange in 07) where they'll partner the Democrats if results make the numbers possible.

Even if there are reforms that can be carried out to make the electoral system cleaner - and I'm not really convinced there are, as long as the system is to remain democratic - don't be so sure they'll carry them out. Too many entrenched interests and too much to lose, even for the 'good people'.

Edited by Emptyset

Not all countries can govern themselves and perhaps Thailand is one of them where democracy is not working. As Thailand begins a new year, the country finds itself at a crossroads. What seems to be at stake is not only the future shape of democracy in this country, but whether it will even remain a democracy at all. This should worry all those who care about the future of Thailand and its people.

The government is facing a declared insurrection by mobs led in this instance by a incipient fascist, Mr. Suthep, who wants to overthrow the legitimately elected government in favor of a Mussolini fashioned "People's Council" which admittedly is intended to deliver the absolute rule of the privileged elites in place of a duly scheduled election.

Mr Suthep in 2010 was Deputy Prime Minister. He headed CRES (Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation) to monitor the situation that April. He was in charge, so to speak and had the power at that time to decide when people could protest and when it would be allowed. He could ban any website, freeze your money, close newspapers etc. He started to lose his power shortly there after and he has missed the authority he no longer has. He is a power- hungary man who has many rich Thais backing him up and probably the military as well. The Thai military usually steps in during a crisis like what is going on now but they say they will not intervene. Mr. Suthep does not represent the average Thai person only the Royals and the old -money -elite that do not want a democratic government. They say they do but they do not have an understanding of what it means. On the other side the “Shinawatra” family has the control of the poor who look up to that rich family as a savior to them to improve their lives. Perhaps he is not a good choice either and guilty of graft, but at least he threw the little people a bone. There have been18 coups since the end of absolute monarchy in 1932. Maybe Thailand needs new impartial candidates from outside of the country to vote for. I don't want the job but I'd do it cuz I love Thailand. And if elected, would I still have to check in every 90 days?

• Like 1

The protesters are drawn from Bangkok’s middle class and wealthy elite, and from opposition strongholds in the south of the country. Their constant refrain is that poor rural Thais — those who voted for the government — are ignorant, ill-informed and sell their votes to the highest bidder. - complete rubbish! Seriously how many "elite" wealthy Thais would ever get up off their asses to march along roads or huddle together for days on end listening to Suthep? Just another cliche meant to divide and polarize opinion

Protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban — a former Democrat deputy prime minister facing murder charges for his role in a 2010 crackdown on anti-government demonstrations — now finds himself on the other side of the barricades. - charges brought by the same corrupt government he is trying to overthrow, coincidence it is not

He has called for the overthrow of the current government, the suspension of electoral democracy, and rule by an appointed council of “good people” — prompting some commentators to describe his goals as essentially fascist. - essentially TV posters who have had too many singhas and remember being taught something one time, though they weren't sure where, sounds good so must be true. Sure!

Meanwhile, in the north and northeast of Thailand — the government’s support base — millions of loyal “red shirt” voters are seething with anger over what they see as yet another attempt by the Bangkok elite to bring down a government they have voted into power. - if this was true, where are they? I doubt if YL's government are anywhere near as popular now after all the u-turns than they were a few years ago when they pillaged and burned Bangkok

I thought the article was nonsense, full of all the usual cliches, lazy journalism at it's worst.

Dont believe he stay in BKK and when, he not going out of the house...Most is right, but the class and the mount of the Protestors are definetly wrong.

And, he not explain, why the people protests...

Nothing about Governments wrongdoing against the constitution

Nothing about corruption going worse

Nothing about the rice pledging scheme...

Nothing about the planned Trillion Bath loan

Nothing about the amnesty bill

So for me, its better than AFP, but far away from good journalism...rolleyes.gif

easy solution,devalue the baht,farang spends more on leo and singha,rice mountain will be at a sellable price ! everybody happy and mau !!!

Perhaps it is now time for the people of the North and North East who for some reason feel that they and they alone are the voice of Thailand to be put in their place. I am sick and tired of hearing how these rural poor puppets of the Shins think that they cast the deciding vote on the future of this country simply by being paid or being ignorant or possible a combination of both. Isan is only part of Thailand and perhaps it is the agricultural hub but it is not the intellectual nor educated center of this country. They have been used as pawns and cannon fodder by the Thaksin clan to the detriment of the development of this nation. This is not an issue that can be defined as being between the Bangkok elite and the rural poor. The Thaksin regime is as much part of the elite as any other group. They are multi millionaires who simply use the people in order to keep milking this country and keep themselves in an ultra elite lifestyle. Surely you can only fool all of the people some of the time , that is unless they are brain dead. I am no fan of SUTHEP , However this country needs to rid itself of the hypocritical parasites of the Shin clan and the ineffectual PTP lackeys.

• Like 1