Thailand on the brink

webfact

Thailand on the brink

Interesting article, a mix of red rhetorid and fact.........

"The stage seems set for a showdown between anti-government forces, backed by powerful vested interests, and a flawed but democratically elected government that enjoys mass support, especially in its rural heartlands. The conflict is being waged between rival factions of the elite, but also on class, ethnic and regional fronts. Predicting the future in Thai politics is futile, but more mass protests and bloodshed on the streets seem inevitable.

Over the past two months, tens – perhaps hundreds – of thousands of protesters have taken to the streets of the capital Bangkok to demand less democracy, and the overthrow of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government."

Such an even handed objective statement from this journalist and it the prelude to the unbiased approach well research and accurate political article. But enough of satire

Truth hurts.................

So does a uppercut ;)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came back to Thaivisa after a long break as I wanted to see updates on the current political crisis.

Surprisingly the standard of posting seems to have improved over the last year or so. It now takes a few pages of post before it descends into bickering.

Well done Mods.

Lets hope it stays reasonably peaceful and gets over soon so the economy can recover ....... again.

• Like 1

A well-written piece. It makes me wish Thailand could reform, but not Suthep's way. They need to find a way go sweep away the main protagonists and try to elect those who might engage in non-confrontational politics (at least for a while!) to give the country some time to recover from this turmoil.

But that is western-style thinking..... TiT. ?

you don't get fair elections without reforms first.

You advocate destroying the democratic process, flawed as it may be, so that an unelected panel, with unlimited decision-making powers and an an open-ended timeframe, can set up 'reforms' and decide when the country is ready for democracy?

What utter nonsense.

Just in case you have not noticed.....The democratic process does NOT work here in Thailand... Go back to your own cosy little country if you have nothing constructive to add... don't forget your KY...

What very few understand is that democracy undermined and subverted by populism is just an empty shell. Picture wolves fighting over a dead moose. Demagogues move in & start screaming about majorities and democracy, but it's all just mob rule at that point. Minorities and opposition groups also have a legitimate role to play as well in true democracies, but when the majority can manipulate constitutional protections at whim, even extending to criminal pardons for party favorites, the democratic framework has collapsed and the political commons dissolves into a no-man's land. That's about where Thailand is at the moment. Ignore the Thaksin & PTP part in all this, and only those who want to remain on the populist "receiving end" indefinitely can take you seriously, and they only out of economic addiction. That addiction can't outlast financial realities. Fail to pay off those rice farmers, somehow, and you're going to get a lesson in reality...

• Like 2

Actually the movement started when the dems set up a stage to complain about the amnesty bill. So you're right, a lot of people have forgotten what this was about and will no doubt be flocking like sheep on the 13th following sutheps bidding - though they know not where they go.

It's painfully obvious what the gameplan is, and it's got eff all not a lot to do with corruption or the amnesty bill.

All could've been avoided if Yingluck's government scheduled the election for some time in May 2014. But no, they scheduled for February 2014 knowing well that that would aggravate the situation further because it falls within 180 days, and the amnesty bill would be still very much alive. The blood is on Yingluck's government hands. All because of their selfishness and stubbornness. Is it worth dragging country to the brink of a civil war once again just because of a megalomaniac in Dubai?

I cannot hear this shit with "democratically elected government"anymore!

They paid the rural volks to vote for them and the undereducated rural volk did not know better...cross here and the next bottle of thai wiskey on the new government.

Who are you calling uneducated, Mr Maseratiman? I live in the North and graduated from university, as did a lot of other people. I may or may not like Thaksin, that is for me to know, but don't call people names unless you want to be called some yourself.

Oh, and I drive a Porsche, not a bunch of nuts and bolts that's as likely to fall to bits as it is to reach 100kph.

Edited by beautifulthailand99

A well-written piece. It makes me wish Thailand could reform, but not Suthep's way. They need to find a way go sweep away the main protagonists and try to elect those who might engage in non-confrontational politics (at least for a while!) to give the country some time to recover from this turmoil.

. . but you can't get reforms by disbanding the democratic process. Yes the article is well written and to me this has been spelling coup signs for weeks.

There is no fall back position other than relying on the democratic constitution. Thailand has to educate itself as to how government works and how to use the court system.

The saving grace for the evolution of the West was the coming of the Magna Carta which guaranteed people rights before the law and indeed for the people to be the law and not the parliament.

Awareness of this tool for justice, it is being watered down as fast as the legislators can water it down in the west.

In other words, as we hold up the rule of democracy in the West as a beacon of legal and social justice and cohesion, it is actually in decline itself.

Those who have accepted democracy, have expected too much from it, hoping that a vote is all that it takes.

It takes a much greater form of participation and using the tools of democratic freedoms to pursue individual cases of corruption

and call for parliaments and governments to reform, from within the democratic process.

We have to build on what is there.

No instant answers. No miracle cures. No political messiahs.

We have to do our home work as citizens. That needs education, now available on the net. No more secrets.

It also means doing research and becoming more politically aware.

The use of internet petitions has grown in popularity the world over and achieving good results.

These are getting results in case by case instances where reform had to take place.

Issues like slave labour in India. The non prosecution of rape in India. The illegal infection of organic farms in Australia from nearby genetically engineered crops grown by Monsanto. Juts to mention a few.

It is just a matter of time before they come here.

It appears that it may get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1

No, they are not protesting for less democracy, they are protesting because they want REAL democracy, not the bs Thaksinocracy we have at the moment....They do not want to do away with democracy, they want to suspend the vote until the framework for a real democracy has been formed by the reforms.

Wow, a view from the 'other side' for once. Well done webfact and thank you.

You call this a view

Over the past two months, tens – perhaps hundreds – of thousands of protesters have taken to the streets of the capital Bangkok to demand less democracy, and the overthrow of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government.

I call it more lies. It looks some thing like Yingluck's speech writers would write.

"tens – perhaps hundreds – of thousands of protesters"

If that is all there is or was why is Yingluck running like a scared rabbit?

"demand less democracy"

Source please.Or lacking that I would greatly enjoy your explanation of why a more honest government would be less democrat. Use this source to check on their dishonesty. http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2013/results/

I await an answer to either one.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government"

I will admit that you are technically rite on that one although I don't believe it I believe it is the government of Thaksin Shinawatra.

They paid the rural volks to vote for them and the undereducated rural volk did not know better...cross here and the next bottle of thai wiskey on the new government.

Who are you calling uneducated, Mr Maseratiman? I live in the North and graduated from university, as did a lot of other people. I may or may not like Thaksin, that is for me to know, but don't call people names unless you want to be called some yourself.

Oh, and I drive a Porsche, not a bunch of nuts and bolts that's as likely to fall to bits as it is to reach 100kph.

I've got a porsche.... and it's got a swing.

You advocate destroying the democratic process, flawed as it may be, so that an unelected panel, with unlimited decision-making powers and an an open-ended timeframe, can set up 'reforms' and decide when the country is ready for democracy?

What utter nonsense.

So what we have now is better?When a crim starts. running the country from afar something radical needs to be done.

• Like 1

But that is western-style thinking..... TiT.

What utter nonsense.

So what we have now is better?When a crim starts. running the country from afar something radical needs to be done.

What would you advocate then?

• Like 1

Interesting, by the people I assume you mean the middle class Bangkok and the elite.

As oppossed to the bulk of the country.

If you want democracy vote, if you don't protest.

Shutdown Bangkok, why? Because the dems will lose yet again, Thailand is Thailand not just Bangkok.

Bangkok is full to the brim of people who could not be described as middle class, and very very far away from being described as elite.

They are the ones on the streets trying to make themselves heard, they don't serve roast deer and gin and tonic at these protest sites you know.

Most of the population of Bangkok are just ordinary people, they only differ from the rest of the ordinary people of Thailand in one respect, they have realised that they are being conned and treated as slaves.

That is why they are on the streets, I seriously hope that the rest of the ordinary people of Thailand come to the same realisation soon, preferably before the country implodes.

This is right.

They're the same as Issan people although they don't get to enjoy the relaxed bucolic lifestyle. To my mind, city life is okay if you have money, but most don't and conditions are grim and far more stressful than country life. Same goes for most countries.

Quite frankly, I don't understand how anyone who properly understands written English could possibly consider this article either objective or unbiased. It is neither but dressed up to sway readers in one particular direction and no prizes for guessing what direction that is.

End of topic in my view.

• Like 2

There is nothing even and balanced in this article at all. It is pretentious but intellectually vacant.

As mentioned by other posters it refuses to deal with the fact that Thailand is not a democratic regime at all.

It is a corrupt, self serving, incestuous bribing feed Shinawatra Thaksin regime.

Any means to overthrow this vile regime, without killing and massive destruction of property is valid.

• Like 1

What utter nonsense.

Quite similar to this storyline.

One day citizens are attacked by the rebels.

A savior came to the rescue. The only route to save everyone is to bring them across the forbidden area as the only escape exit in there.

But under the law common citizens are not allow into the forbidden area.

The savior said to them

"I'm sorry, my people. The only exit is over there but under the law you all are not suppose to enter the forbidden area.

I'm by NO means a Thaksin or Red Shirt fan, but I cannot hear this shit with - paid the rural to vote for them and the under educated didn't know any better IGNORANT, ELITEST BULLSHIT anymore! Apparently you, like other fools, believe that Thaksin and his parties INVENTED vote buying, instead of accepting the truth that it was around long before Thaksin was little more than a lustful gleam in his father's eye. And I guess it might be safe to assume that you totally missed the interview with Korn, a DEMOCRAT LEADER, who flat out admitted that in the last election, the DEMS SPENT MORE THAT PTP, and they STILL LOST, and that Vote Buying had NOTHING TO DO with the outcome of the vote.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell the Thaksonites and Red Shirts - Clean the tint off your glasses and look at the Real World.

By the way, with the spelling and grammatical errors in YOUR post, you have very little ground to be calling anyone else "under educated". cheesy.gif

Absolutely agree! Get off this stupid vote-buying nonsense! I have recently been north and talked to many people about this - all say yes, money has been offered - they already know who they're going to vote for, but some idiot comes to give them money, so they take it! Easy! It has no measurable effect on how people decide to vote. A real example.... my wife was given Bt.1,000 by a Dem politician last election (we live south of BKK)...she took the money, but didn't vote for him.

This.

To say that vote buying determines the outcome of the election is to suspect that there is a significant constituency that rocks up at the polls thinking "Well, certainly party A's policies seem a lot better, and I know for a fact that party B's candidate is a crook - he just paid me for my vote. Nevertheless, being a man (or woman) of honor, I shall cast my vote as pledged for party B. After all, a deal's a deal!"

Just doesn't seem plausible.

Different point: I wonder if your wife was lucky to score 1000B. The recent US election is said to have cost $6 billion. If between them the two parties were to hand out 1000B bribes to 50% of the electorate they would be pretty much at the same figure, no? Wow!

Edit: Off by a factor of 10. Still a lot of money though.

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 2

All could've been avoided if Yingluck's government scheduled the election for some time in May 2014. But no, they scheduled for February 2014 knowing well that that would aggravate the situation further because it falls within 180 days, and the amnesty bill would be still very much alive. The blood is on Yingluck's government hands. All because of their selfishness and stubbornness. Is it worth dragging country to the brink of a civil war once again just because of a megalomaniac in Dubai?

Typical blinkered misinformed post.

The dems and suthep were clamouring for Yingluck and the PTP to step down. This she did and scheduled a new election within 60 days of the dissolution as required by the Constitution.

Parliament was dissolved on the 9th December. The new Election is scheduled for 2nd February, 56 days after the dissolution.

It's got %$ all to do with trying to revive the amnesty bill - it's the constitution.

Temper Temper fabby.

You started the ball rolling with false information. Got your thingy whaked and lost control The Democrats did not set up the stage they came to the party late. It was the people with no official leaders rising up against a corrupt government who was ignoring them in it's drive to white wash the Prime Minister's brother.

It actually could have been avoided if the PTP had acted like an honest government and let the democrats have their say in the house. Of course when I say this I mean also listened to what they had to say and used their head in voting for or against it.

But no they refused to listen to any one and pushed it to the point where people started looking at the other things they were doing that they shouldn't be doing and things they should be doing but weren't.

In their arrogance they pushed the people to far. All they had to do was stop half way.

You and I both know that they have every intention of reviving the amnesty bill after the 180 days. But you are correct (hard to believe) that is not what this is about. This is about bringing in a more honest government. Yingluck did rite in dissolving the house but so far there is no clear cut answer as to if they have to have the election in 60 days as this time around there are extenuating circumstances. I believe once in the past they extended the 60 days. But that is not what people are demanding now it is just a tool to achieve a more honest Government. Even if and there is a good possibility the PTP wins the next election when ever it may be. They will come in like a puppy with it's tail between it's legs. They know that the people are now watching them.

What did you think of http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2013/results/

Did you see the chart where starting with the army turning the government over to the Thaksin led parties corruption took off like a sky rocket. Only to be held back for the time Abhist term was in and as soon as he was out off it went again. Why in the last year alone it went from 65% corrupt to 67% corrupt under the watchful eye of Yingluck's anti corruption commission.

It is things like that being true that have the people so riled up. Have a good nightwai.gif

Interesting, by the people I assume you mean the middle class Bangkok and the elite.

As oppossed to the bulk of the country.

If you want democracy vote, if you don't protest.

Shutdown Bangkok, why? Because the dems will lose yet again, Thailand is Thailand not just Bangkok.

Same bs as usual.

By people he meaans those who follow the news and are intelligent enough to understand what the heck is going on.

THAILAND DOES NOT HAVE DEMOCRACY, how many times does it have to be said? We have something that started out with the best of intentions and has been perverted by the fugitive in Dubai ( mostly ) into something else. The whole thing needs to be dropped and restarted with proper checks and balances in place to stop the misdeeds of the last 16 years being repeated.

And yes the Dems would lose again thanks to the 200 or so criminals in PT previously banned for electoral fraud who will do the same tricks as they did before and hope not to get caught at it this time. There will never be a fair election under Thaksinocracy...

Thailand has suffered because it's never been colonised and in some respects the country still has a feudal system.

The country is held together by a fine thread which I hope will hold.

What we are seeing is the same sort of issues that have caused major uprisings elsewhere

in the world.

Yingluck is a puppet who runs away from problems.

Thaksin is out for revenge. All his fortune will never bring him back but it looks like he'll live out his life like a rich Napoleon.

The farming country folk are stuck in the European middle ages in terms of their ability to use the land and profit from foreign investment.

The rice pledging and fuel subsidy programmes are just avoiding the major problem that the plebs want a slice of the good life themselves.

Thailand has the same future as Spain and Greece when the big jets take the tourists elsewhere.

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 2