Thailand on the brink

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand on the brink

Interesting article, a mix of red rhetorid and fact.........

"The stage seems set for a showdown between anti-government forces, backed by powerful vested interests, and a flawed but democratically elected government that enjoys mass support, especially in its rural heartlands. The conflict is being waged between rival factions of the elite, but also on class, ethnic and regional fronts. Predicting the future in Thai politics is futile, but more mass protests and bloodshed on the streets seem inevitable.

Over the past two months, tens – perhaps hundreds – of thousands of protesters have taken to the streets of the capital Bangkok to demand less democracy, and the overthrow of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government."

Such an even handed objective statement from this journalist and it the prelude to the unbiased approach well research and accurate political article. But enough of satire

Truth hurts.................

• Like 2

Fairness to all, its always some want more fairness,

unfortunately money and power is what seems to

motivate the wrong people the most,all say they

want to put the country first,which is just <deleted>.

regards Worgeordie

A well-written piece. It makes me wish Thailand could reform, but not Suthep's way. They need to find a way go sweep away the main protagonists and try to elect those who might engage in non-confrontational politics (at least for a while!) to give the country some time to recover from this turmoil.

But that is western-style thinking..... TiT. ?

you don't get fair elections without reforms first.

You advocate destroying the democratic process, flawed as it may be, so that an unelected panel, with unlimited decision-making powers and an an open-ended timeframe, can set up 'reforms' and decide when the country is ready for democracy?

What utter nonsense.

I believe that China did something quite similar to Suthep's style, a selected few deciding who, what, when, and were on everything, NO VOTE and decent is NOT tolerated,

and look at what they did to their last emperor, those that do not heed history are destine to repeat it.blink.png

• Like 2

I found the article very informative and feel the same - Thailand on the brink - it is different this time to the others. I was here for the 1991 event and remember Suchinda on his face before the King for being responsible for the many deaths. The yellow shirt mob were responsible for many businesses collapsing because of the airport shut down - I had a Guest House and tourists stopped coming. The red shirts had the idea that there could be FAIRNESS for ALL, not just the elite in BKK - the elite still don't understand that BKK isn't Thailand - it's just a small part of the whole which includes the north and the north east with its multi millions.

The 'brink' is nearly here when those southern provinces could easily 'break away' and even the northern provinces could be thinking the same way - I know many who talk this way in the area I live in.

I was with an Indonesia journalist when he interviewed Dr Weng at the red shirt event and was impressed with his answers to every question. The jounalist was from Tempo magazine - highly respected in Indonesia - similar to Time magazine. The theme hasn't changed, FAIRNESS to ALL.

I've followed Thai Visa for years and years but only recently decided to come out of the silent majority to speak because I have found many of the posts offensive, childish, arrogant, pitiful, hurtful, senseless, uninformed and particularly obnoxious those posts that snear at how a person looks - reptilian etc -. This forum is read by thousands and thousands so civility is to be remembered in your public comments.

On the brink and less than a week to go - I love being here and I hope I can say the same in 10 days time

I think most of us would like fairness for all but to suggest that there are eleven million 'elite' voters in Thailand who voted for the Dems last time is pushing it a bit don't you think? And judging from the double digit swing away from PTP in the election for the Bangkok governor if that were to be repeated in a national election the PTP's 4 million vote margin would be compromised even further.

The kingdom has many issues and sadly none of the current politicians have shown any indication that they have the ability to solve them. That is Thailand's dilemma.

Edited by bigbamboo