Thailand on the brink

webfact

What the Shins are doing is unacceptable in any modern democracy.

-800 billion spend on rice and still no money to pay the farmers (no figures released since 2.5 years),

-amnesty for family criminals

-laws to bypass scrutiny

-Thailand lost 18 positions on the global corruption index last year (84-102).

-everything is done to enrich themselves and their friends

-Yingluck answered 2 out of 120 questions the opposition have asked her since she took office.

That's democracy for you folks!

Yingluck is the facilitator for all these illegal activities.

It really amazes me that there are people who support this bunch.

And in any modern democracy the opposition party would highlight these faults and the electorate would make a decision at the ballot box to vote for or against them. By failing to register any candidates, the Dems have denied a substantial minority of the voters of Thailand the option to vote against PTP.

You are apparently new. The opposition was not allowed to voice their opposition. They were shut down in the house. The people managed to hear enough about the rail road train the PTP was using to make an honerable man out of a proven convicted sentenced crook who escaped from the law and is living in Dubai now. So you see the people heard the voice of what was wrong and they heard the voice of the PTP saying we don't care we are going to do it any how.

As for the voters making there own choice that is what the anti government protestors are trying to do. Let them make a choice rather than be bought. Have ballots protected so that they can not be tampered with. Maker it possible so all voters can vote with out any one knowing who they are voting for.I hope this helps you better understand the events of today.wai.gif There are many other things that are wrong with this bunch of what ever you want to call them running the country but you mentioned voters deciding them selves.thumbsup.gif Good idea

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's quite a sudden campaign going on at this point of this thread to try to discredit an excellent piece of journalism written from a point of view by an excellent journalist who writes very well.

And the still anonymous feudal council, its specific remit and term of absolute rule make clear that the ammat consider the country is not ready for democracy, that feudalism remains the order of the day no matter what.

The ammat cannot produce a journalist of such fine quality as the OP, and what able or respectable journalist would anyway want to write a persuasive piece in favor of cancelling a constitutionally scheduled election, summarily appointing a still anonymous feudal council to rule absolutely and advocating violence so a coup d'état could occur.

The OP's piece is persuasive, convincing, definitive.

Powerfully definitive.

In your opinion.

As a Thailand resident for 19 years, I respectfully disagree.

Here is more balanced artcile, one that actually understands both sides, in my opinion. And it comes from a more experienced journalist with a background in Thai history. YMMV.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/SEA-01-130114.html

There's quite a sudden campaign going on at this point of this thread to try to discredit an excellent piece of journalism written from a point of view by an excellent journalist who writes very well.

And the still anonymous feudal council, its specific remit and term of absolute rule make clear that the ammat consider the country is not ready for democracy, that feudalism remains the order of the day no matter what.

The ammat cannot produce a journalist of such fine quality as the OP, and what able or respectable journalist would anyway want to write a persuasive piece in favor of cancelling a constitutionally scheduled election, summarily appointing a still anonymous feudal council to rule absolutely and advocating violence so a coup d'état could occur.

The OP's piece is persuasive, convincing, definitive.

Powerfully definitive.

In your opinion.

As a Thailand resident for 19 years, I respectfully disagree.

Here is more balanced artcile, one that actually understands both sides, in my opinion. And it comes from a more experienced journalist with a background in Thai history. YMMV.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/SEA-01-130114.html

A poster yesterday presented the link you now provide so I read it yesterday and I would say it's an excellent analysis, done by a Harvard University trained and seasoned expert. The linked journal committed the rarity in print journalism of giving the author all the space he required to say his piece (even if the column width is in fact narrow).

The wide margins article written by the OP deals with the present impasse and does an excellent job of that so TVF must be commended for presenting the particular point of view with a link to the full length piece.

The Harvard guy's excellent conclusion is logical and reasonable, measured and insightful, so he should already well know it can't happen that way in Thailand.

I don't have your announced 19 years here but twelve years in Thailand and a lot of other experience to include education and 18 years in three countries of East Asia tell me so.

Well it is certainly on the brink now...

Mr @RichardBarrow says it seem someone has been shot at Ratchathewi not far from the rally site at Phathumwan.

12:28am Reports of more gunshots near Asia Hotel - a location popular with foreign tourists (Pic @dekdue_03) pic.twitter.com/mEOYgHgsP4

Bangkok - Explosion heard near Thai opposition leader's house, gunfire near Asia Hotel (via @RichardBarrow )

RT @Onkel_Micha: @RichardBarrow 9 shots fired just now can hear them from Ratchatewi. First 4 then 5 more.

@RichardBarrow @Onkel_Micha live report from tnn news says the gunshots are still ongoing. Quiet iver ratchathewi now though.

Video clip of gunfight at Hua Chang Bridge #Bangkok - RT @joe_black317:

@RichardBarrow @Onkel_Micha just had massage in thong lor, I heard a few shots being fired off in the rooms each side of me

"@RichardBarrow: Video clip of gunfight at Hua Chang Bridge

1:25am Police car has finally arrived on scene in front of Asia Hotel

Bd9dO7rCAAA_J0Z.jpg

As a side note you do realise gunshots murders disagreements fights and generally things like that go on every single day and night in BKK with or without a protest going on. Not every single incident is going to be related not even the incidents that may take place near any protest area. BKK has a lot of gun crime and other crime at the quietest of times.

@RichardBarrow @Onkel_Micha just had massage in thong lor, I heard a few shots being fired off in the rooms each side of me

See what I mean ? a guy gets a massage and hes saying shots fired in the rooms next to him ... now what would be the sense in firing shots in a massage parlour if it were some colour troublemakers ? highly unlikely they were just testing.