Snakes and rabies

Take the bleeding snake in the box to the hospital, have the snake identified then they will treat you accordingly.

snakes that are dangerous in general in Thailand, are King cobra, up to 5 meters-----------cobra and spitting cobra 2 meters approx.---------Krait banded, has black white black white the length of body 1.5 meters, ---------------Keelback smaller but potentially potent. treat ALL snakes dangerous unless you Know.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that if a python gets you in a death squeeze, and latches onto your arm with its teeth, the best thing to do is pour whiskey (alcohol) in it's eyes. It will immediately release you.

Note...just about everyone here in Isaan has a bottle of whiskey on them at all times, according to a recent report on alcoholism in Thailand.

A distinct advantage that we have over people elsewhere....

Poke them in the eye will be just as good....they don't like that.

Jones the butcher from 'Dads Army" would say " they don't like it up em"

I heard that if a python gets you in a death squeeze, and latches onto your arm with its teeth, the best thing to do is pour whiskey (alcohol) in it's eyes. It will immediately release you.

Note...just about everyone here in Isaan has a bottle of whiskey on them at all times, according to a recent report on alcoholism in Thailand.

A distinct advantage that we have over people elsewhere....

Poke them in the eye will be just as good....they don't like that.

Jones the butcher from 'Dads Army" would say " they don't like it up em"

I would not be voluntarily sticking me finger up one, this one shat all over me and stinks to high heaven.

But I think herpetologists do it to sex them, weird lot they are.

Take the bleeding snake in the box to the hospital, have the snake identified then they will treat you accordingly.

snakes that are dangerous in general in Thailand, are King cobra, up to 5 meters-----------cobra and spitting cobra 2 meters approx.---------Krait banded, has black white black white the length of body 1.5 meters, ---------------Keelback smaller but potentially potent. treat ALL snakes dangerous unless you Know.

Snakes not bleeding...I am...or was.

Ok for everyones information there are no known zoönosis that can leap from reptiles to humans (with the one exception of a bacteria carried in the mouth of the Komodo Dragon) Poison yes, known bacteria and viruses no. That includes tetanus unless the wound becomes dirty while its still open. There are also no known parasites that can infect humans from a reptile bite. There are some parasites that you could get from eating the snake raw, so that's not recommended. sources Mercks Veternary Manual 6th edition. Wikipedia zoönosis. Toledo Zoo herpetology resources.

Good to know, thanks.

Was trying to put off having to go to doc again this week, or at least coincide it with daughters rabies injection on saturday.

Only warm-blooded animals can carry rabies.

Not really true, as a cold blooded snake can be a carrier of rabies if it eats a warm blooded animal that has it. I heard that from someone who knew what he was talking about while sitting on a bar stool.

• Like 1

Is the snake OK?

Yes, it is in a box out the back now waiting for kids to come home from school.

Sounds like a python to me. At least have a tetanus shot if you need one.

It was, big one too.

You are going to feed it your own kids?

You are a man of my heart!

Ooh, in the meanwhile I read your post again and it did not specifically mention that it were your own kids. Any kid will do, right?

In that case you might have to consider asking the kids' parents first how they think about it...

Anyway you are a great example in wildlife protection for all of us wink.png

The best I can guess is that you are insinuating that eating non domestic meat is highly risky business and the guy is foolish? -- Eating meat from an animal that the person certainly now understands cannot be a rabies infection vector? What you sayin' boyah? dry.png.pagespeed.ce.iCXmiFQmCf.png

Ok for everyones information there are no known zoönosis that can leap from reptiles to humans (with the one exception of a bacteria carried in the mouth of the Komodo Dragon) Poison yes, known bacteria and viruses no. That includes tetanus unless the wound becomes dirty while its still open. There are also no known parasites that can infect humans from a reptile bite. There are some parasites that you could get from eating the snake raw, so that's not recommended. sources Mercks Veternary Manual 6th edition. Wikipedia zoönosis. Toledo Zoo herpetology resources.

Not quite correct, most (all?) reptiles carry salmonella but it's not commonly transmitted, easily avoided and probably not transmissable via a bite.

Non-venomous snakes still carry loads of bacteria in their mouth and can even cause necrotic damage to the tissue. Clean it out well and keep your eye on it.

Hell, the Komodo relies on bacteria infections to kill it's prey, it's bites it once and if the animal gets away it just tracks it and let the bacteria bring it down.

Also:

Venom is injected, poison is absorbed or digested. Snakes and spiders are known as venomous

Odd pet peeve to have, but it's one of my worst.

Edited by BlackArtemis
  • Like 1

Yes, was wondering about tetanus.

But, I have been bitten by snakes here and back home several times, never sought medical treatment.

Also bitten by monkey's here 3 or so times, but friendly ones I know.

I prefer to build my own immunity system without drugs and rubbish as much as possible without being silly about it.

But I was asking about this one particularly because I was not sure about rabies and snakes and this was a rather big bite, bled a lot, but stopped now and treated at home.

yes sir its really no problem getting bitten by monkeys you know, carry on building your own immunity,what a load of cobblers, you don't know what diseases monkeys carry,getting bitten by any animal in Thailand, is worth a visit to the doctor, there is no cure for rabies,and monkeys are carriers of all types of diseases, I was working in a german zoo and got bitten by a baby gibbon ,an animal born into a sterilised environment, no contact with other wildlife apart from its family, I developed a fever and fainted ,woke up in intensive care inhospital, the gibbon was carrying a virus that attacks the white blood cells, 6 weeks hospital and I lost 40lbs in weight, don't mess with the thai wildlife it can killyou to death,

But, I have been bitten by snakes here and back home several times, never sought medical treatment.

I prefer to build my own immunity system without drugs and rubbish as much as possible without being silly about it.

But I was asking about this one particularly because I was not sure about rabies and snakes and this was a rather big bite, bled a lot, but stopped now and treated at home.

yes sir its really no problem getting bitten by monkeys you know, carry on building your own immunity,what a load of cobblers, you don't know what diseases monkeys carry,getting bitten by any animal in Thailand, is worth a visit to the doctor, there is no cure for rabies,and monkeys are carriers of all types of diseases, I was working in a german zoo and got bitten by a baby gibbon ,an animal born into a sterilised environment, no contact with other wildlife apart from its family, I developed a fever and fainted ,woke up in intensive care inhospital, the gibbon was carrying a virus that attacks the white blood cells, 6 weeks hospital and I lost 40lbs in weight, don't mess with the thai wildlife it can killyou to death,

Is there any other way ?

Point taken, but I have been bitten by this same monkey 3 times or so, first time was pure ignorance, but survived it and it has had no other contact with anything new since.

Only warm-blooded animals can carry rabies.

Mammals (warm blooded animals) can carry rabies but birds (also warm blooded animals) cannot.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Excellent.

So no trip to the quack for me today.

You got bit by a snake and you are only worried about rabies? I'm confused.

Why confusion ?

Its not poisonous... I don't think.

Bit twice to be precise....

hey that rhymes.

The reason I ask is due to this:

To apply first aid for nonpoisonous snakebites:

• Wash the bite with soap and water.
  • Put a bandage on the wound, if needed.
  • Make sure your tetanus shots are up-to-date. If it has been 5 or more years since your last tetanus shot, get a shot as soon as possible, preferably the same day as the bite.
  • Get medical care for nonpoisonous snakebites if:
    • The bite wound is bleeding and does not stop bleeding.
    • Over the next few days you develop signs of infection: redness around the bite or red streaks going away from the wound towards your heart, fever, drainage, or more pain or swelling at the site of the bite.

If you got bitten by a Banded Krait or Cobra to name but 2 , rabies is not your big concer what you have posted above would be of little use, whilst time from bite to death is always variable, with these 2 and others of the same family you would hope to get to the hospital within 30 minutes.

Edited by nong38

Everybody knows that friendly monkeys don't carry rabies

Rabies AFAIK is confined to mammals. So snakes are safe in that regard (though may otherwise be venomous).

Any mammal bite, unless you know for a fact the animal has been vaccinated, warrants rabies prophylaxis. This includes monkeys. (and bats - they're mammals too)

• Like 1

Excellent.

So no trip to the quack for me today.

You got bit by a snake and you are only worried about rabies? I'm confused.

Why confusion ?

Its not poisonous... I don't think.

Bit twice to be precise....

hey that rhymes.

Hey, you're a poet

And you don't know it.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

sheryl nignoy and me are probably the only people to listen to in this thread:

snakes do not carry rabies nor can they pass rabies over to anyone.

snake bites are horrendous and get nastly infected and can indeed if deep enough cause necrosis( pythons if they bite and let go, no problem but if they bite and try to start pulling your hand in to their mouth, they do big time damage to the soft tissues in your hand. if bitten, the first thing is immediately immerse bitten area , which is usually the hand, in to water with polyding or povidine solution and keep it there soaking... then off to a doctor for antibiotics (cephalaxin or similar for bites, if i remember correctly), and antibiotic cream and possibly keeping the 'punctures' open... just like treating for dog, cat or other animal bite that is puncture and not a rip bite.

monkeys are also very very dangerous biters and frankly if the same monkey is biting you then there is a domination behavior problem which could get vary dangerous. monkeys tend to go for faces and neck and can cause large amounts of damage-- plus the tetanus definately at least once.

salmonella is from handling snakes who tend to slide around in their own shit when in cages but also are carriers. a good handwashing prevents infection except for young children who are still sucking fingers or pacifiers or ahve immune system problems.

monkeys can beocme ill from us (chicken pox is one we can give them, tehre are others)...

dont pick pythons up by their tails. hold them like any other snake, let them wrap the tail around your arm or a branch, support them in the middle and grasp around head area, gently but firmly, they arent poisonous its just to keep them from swinging around and biting. howver, if not moving hand quickly in front of its face, but aproach quietly , they shouldnt be biting anyhow unless theya re large adults who are fairly 'grumpy' ... boas seem to be nicer as adults. and dont try to keep hold of a large hungry python ...use a broom stick or branch for him to wrap around, easier for all ...

picking a snake up by its tail just makes it grumpier.

• Like 2

Showbags don't be too macho now, we would miss your posts if you went to another place. Maybe get a nurse to check for infection, because pythons in particular can cause problems.

Its not macho.

I hate needles with a passion.

But I just counted 24 needle like puncture wounds.

Doesn't sound like it snuck up on you - what were you trying to do to it when it attacked?

I had hold of its tail.

That'll do it!

• Like 1

even when I was living under canvas in 63/64 in yasothon province, plenty of wrigglies and wildlife ,lots of the lads had civet cats and monkeys of some shape or form ,a few of the villagers kept largemonitor lizards,I used my hobby to start up a small veterinary hospital, lots of birds plenty of reptiles, but my business on the side was making hatbands,belts and even wallets out of snake skin and the occasional croc skin, at that period you could buy anything from bird eating spider to an elephant calf at the big market in Bangkok,I used to catch as many as 8 cobras a night ,never got bitten once, and weekends I used to hunt pythons in the jungle around phumhu south of muk!! got chewed on quite a few times,always got medical treatment, then I was too goodlooking to die young giggle.gif ,in later years I lost a very dear friend and zookeeper to necrosis,in april 83 we took part in the last big elephant cull in south Africa , my group were responsible for 48 baby elephants which we moved to Europe, while bottle feeding one of the babies my mate got his hand between the back teeth which are like housebricks ,we were still 13hours out of schipol when it happened, by the time we landed and got him to a doctor he was unconscious 18 hours later he was dead, butin my 30 odd years working in and managing European zoo,s must of the times I have been attacked or bitten it has been my own fault,familiarity injures or kills more zookeepers than anything else, my last job before I retired was training keepers for the crocodile hunter, look what happened to him!!if you catch any decent size snake, head off, skin off, guts out, body in a bucket, chopped chillies ,lemongrass ,coriander limejuice and olive or sun flower oil,marinate for 4 hours if a big juicy python upto 8 hours , chop into steak size chunks, cook on a red hot grill for 4 minutes each side , afew cold bottles of lao khao,give the mates a bell let the party begin!!wai2.gif

awesome experience, caught the odd croc meself, one caught me also long time ago.

well the swelling and redness has disappeared overnight, wonder if just good luck or my self built immune system kicking in?

The monkey usually only bites when l want him to get off me, he gets all affecionate and randy like, humping my hairy arm and all, then jealous and angry when I want him to leave.

Just like a wife really.

Try to take photo of snake later when l transfer his accomodations.

By the way nignoy, david48 will be thinking about having words with you.

Oh and not sure about the ethics of a zoo keeper, obvious animal lover/carer, stewing up snake. Reason I catch these and release away in the park is to get them away from the locals stew pot, specially of this size as they lived this long and deserve to continue.

By the way nignoy, david48 will be thinking about having words with you.

Oh and not sure about the ethics of a zoo keeper, obvious animal lover/carer, stewing up snake. Reason I catch these and release away in the park is to get them away from the locals stew pot, specially of this size as they lived this long and deserve to continue.

old habits die hard, as a 20 yearold jungle bunny chasing Sukarno,s mob through the jungles of borneo,living off the land,our dyak guides ate everything, and carrying your own sausages and bullybeef in tins for weeks get mighty heavy !! hence the conversion to wildlife gourmet, I also do catch and release here in Australia but occasionally when I am up in the village who am I to turn down a crisp grilled lizard!!sadly I am not as quick as I used to be ,I was asked to help the florida game and wildlife last year to find away to solve their Burmese python problem,here in Australia ,1000,s of wildlife carers spend their time and money raising orphaned joeys and injured kangaroos and wallabies,anew law came into being this week, farmers are allowed to shoot 1000 roos per property, last year the quota was over a million, it is horrendous but they are a plague, turning parts of the bush into deserts and dustbowls,some states koalas are dying out, other states they are culling them because on some of the islands they have too many!!

• Like 1

I was bitten by a very small non-poisonous snake a few years ago while in India..

My leg became swollen and eventually necrotic and I lost the top layer of skin\fascia from just below my knee to my ankle.

It took 3 lengthy operations to debride the site and another one to add a skin graft. I was in UCL hospital for 5 or 6 weeks.

My surgeon\NHS saved me from dying.

Regardless of what folk believe about non-poisonous snakes it not "harmless"..

Be on the look out for any fever or signs of infection and straight to hospital on the first sign

biggrin.png

• Like 2