Snakes and rabies

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent.

So no trip to the quack for me today.

You got bit by a snake and you are only worried about rabies? I'm confused.

Why confusion ?

Its not poisonous... I don't think.

Bit twice to be precise....

hey that rhymes.

Yes, was wondering about tetanus.

But, I have been bitten by snakes here and back home several times, never sought medical treatment.

Also bitten by monkey's here 3 or so times, but friendly ones I know.

I prefer to build my own immunity system without drugs and rubbish as much as possible without being silly about it.

But I was asking about this one particularly because I was not sure about rabies and snakes and this was a rather big bite, bled a lot, but stopped now and treated at home.

Showbags don't be too macho now, we would miss your posts if you went to another place. Maybe get a nurse to check for infection, because pythons in particular can cause problems.

Its not macho.

I hate needles with a passion.

But I just counted 24 needle like puncture wounds.

But, I have been bitten by snakes here and back home several times, never sought medical treatment.

I prefer to build my own immunity system without drugs and rubbish as much as possible without being silly about it.

But I was asking about this one particularly because I was not sure about rabies and snakes and this was a rather big bite, bled a lot, but stopped now and treated at home.

Jeez, what do you do with those animals? I spend a lot of times outdoors but only been bitten by a monkey once years ago and never a snake though I had a couple of close calls.

Showbags don't be too macho now, we would miss your posts if you went to another place. Maybe get a nurse to check for infection, because pythons in particular can cause problems.

Its not macho.

Doesn't sound like it snuck up on you - what were you trying to do to it when it attacked?

I understand your comments about the snake bite, but those damn monkeys certainly weren't friendly!!!!

OP: You do know monkeys in Thailand can be rabies carriers? Fortunately death by rabies in humans in Thailand has significantly declined, now reportedly an average of 20 p.a., down from a reported 200 p.a. in the early 1990s

Its not macho.

Doesn't sound like it snuck up on you - what were you trying to do to it when it attacked?

I had hold of its tail.

OP: You do know monkeys in Thailand can be rabies carriers? Fortunately death by rabies in humans in Thailand has significantly declined, now reportedly an average of 20 p.a., down from a reported 200 p.a. in the early 1990s

Yes I know, but it is the same monkey that keeps doing it and I know him well.

• Like 1

I heard that if a python gets you in a death squeeze, and latches onto your arm with its teeth, the best thing to do is pour whiskey (alcohol) in it's eyes. It will immediately release you.

Note...just about everyone here in Isaan has a bottle of whiskey on them at all times, according to a recent report on alcoholism in Thailand.

A distinct advantage that we have over people elsewhere....

Snakes & Rabies??

Snakes do not carry Rabies, if so it would be a scientific first??

But IF bitten by a non venomous snake a Tetanus Shot would be adviseable under the circumstances as even non venomous snake can carry harmful bacteria in their mouths. Purely precautionary - but advisable...

Simon

Edited by Simon Hill

I heard that if a python gets you in a death squeeze, and latches onto your arm with its teeth, the best thing to do is pour whiskey (alcohol) in it's eyes. It will immediately release you.

Note...just about everyone here in Isaan has a bottle of whiskey on them at all times, according to a recent report on alcoholism in Thailand.

Poke them in the eye will be just as good....they don't like that.

Poke them in the eye will be just as good....they don't like that.

No use wasting good whiskey just because the snake has got you? Spoken like a true alcoholic !

• Like 1

Is the snake OK?

Yes, it is in a box out the back now waiting for kids to come home from school.

Sounds like a python to me. At least have a tetanus shot if you need one.

It was, big one too.

You are going to feed it your own kids?

You are a man of my heart!

Ooh, in the meanwhile I read your post again and it did not specifically mention that it were your own kids. Any kid will do, right?

In that case you might have to consider asking the kids' parents first how they think about it...

Anyway you are a great example in wildlife protection for all of us ;)

• Like 1

Having a snake bite treated is no fun at all, especially the swabs in the wound....I got tagged several times from a Copperhead Racer while out walking in Surat and though there wasn't any venom involved they took the treating of the wound very seriously and literally flushed the whole wounds with antiseptic, swabs in the wounds several times a day, which hurt more than the bite itself. Then came the jabs....but no rabies. I think only warm-blooded animals are affected by rabies